Need RPG recommendations

Faethon

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
1,071
EDIT: NEVERMIND, after googling around and filled with disappointment, i discovered 2 new mods for Wizardry 8, one of which is a major change of the game, i will stick to that. I can't understand how turn based RPGs went from the awesomeness of Wizardry 8 to a joke like King's Bounty. And what happened to the pleasure of forming a good party? Seems "going solo" has become a trend... Beats me...
 
Last edited:
Legend of Grimrock is a Wizardry and Might and Magic style game.

Might and Magic X will be released in a few days.

In terms of overhead games -

Balder's Gate Enhanced Edition.

Shadowrun Returns.

Dragon Age, you can play it by constantly pausing this makes it less real time and more decision based.

You'll also have crowd funded games, like Wasteland 2, starting to come out this year possibly.
 
Legend of Grimrock is a Wizardry and Might and Magic style game.

Might and Magic X will be released in a few days.

In terms of overhead games -

Balder's Gate Enhanced Edition.

Shadowrun Returns.

Dragon Age, you can play it by constantly pausing this makes it less real time and more decision based.

You'll also have crowd funded games, like Wasteland 2, starting to come out this year possibly.


Wow, thank you, these seem good recommendations! I didn't even know Might&Magic would come out again! I thought the series was dead and burried for good! I was great fan of VI,VII and VIII. And i didn't know about the enhanced edition of Baldur either...

I will read extensive reviews and then decide on which to pick for starters...

Thank you very much! I thought that for old school RPG fans, there was nothing left anymore...
 
Unbeleivable, Legend of Grimrock seems like a flashback of Eye of the Beholder! This one is a sure keeper.
 
There isn't as much new stuff out (Legend of Grimrock and the pending M&M Legacy see to be the big ones). Of course all of the classics are available on GOG.com (Gold Box titles, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, Might and Magic, Ultima, etc) in case you missed any of the classics. Several new games should be released this year and next:

Wasteland 2 - http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Torment - https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Pillars of Eternity - http://eternity.obsidian.net/

Several of us support one or more of these titles so watch for our updates when they release or enter Beta :)
 
There isn't as much new stuff out (Legend of Grimrock and the pending M&M Legacy see to be the big ones). Of course all of the classics are available on GOG.com (Gold Box titles, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, Might and Magic, Ultima, etc) in case you missed any of the classics. Several new games should be released this year and next:

Wasteland 2 - http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

Torment - https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Pillars of Eternity - http://eternity.obsidian.net/

Several of us support one or more of these titles so watch for our updates when they release or enter Beta :)

Thank you! I watched many youtube videos, just to see the gameplay. The Legend of Grimrock, seemed good on paper, but it's real time and at some cases, needs rapid action, which i dislike in RPGs. I would have much prefered it to be turn based.

The Might&Magic series, i have played them at their time. Ultima i never liked it and i guess that the problem now, is that all these look horrible at 1080p. I once installed again M&M VI and boy, it was much uglier than i remember it when i was playing it years ago. Probably because at the time i had low resolution monitor...

Icewind Dale, i haven't checked it out yet, i think i saw it on gog, i will check out the supported resolutions.

I bought Dragon Age: Origins at the end. After several youtube videos, i was convinced it can be pseudo-turn based, as limitedaccess said, by pausing it all the time and now i am searching for mods. I 've found some suggested lists. I must say, since i haven't played for many years new RPGs, i am ASTONISHED by the graphics and by the fact that my computer can run at high graphics! I guess it's an advantage to run older games. But for me, who still play Wizardy8 as my "newest" RPG, this is huge difference in graphics. I am shocked...But, i need to do much reading i guess, because i read it's huge game. I liked the fact that i could pause and change direction to my character, as well as the fact that i could give some rudimentary tactical advice to a guy who came with me and i don't remember his name, when i found my dog and fought the rats. It comes a bit closer to the Wizardry8 game, where location and formation is of extreme importance. So, i guess, i will take my shot into this "new" RPG world, with Dragon Age, even if it's not pure turn based.

I will probably buy Baldur's gate enhanced edition too. After that, i will look into IceWind Dale.

Thank you all.
 
Divinity: Original Sin looks like it could be good. It's not complete yet (early access release on steam), but should be worth keeping an eye on.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/

Ah, yes, the Divinity Series. Yes, it may be interesting. I much prefer "medieval"-"fantasy" RPGs, than post-apocalyptic. Although i have never played a post-apocalyptic. :D

The bad thing with RPGs, is that they all have a learning curve and each has its own rules, so there is no way to skip reading the manual...Which takes time. And time, you have much when you are teenager, much less when you 're grown up... Already, i have to read Dragon Age's manual and then search for some tips for character creation, cause i don't want to go blind. I mean, Fighter should probably have high strength, constitution, but there are things that i ignore, since my background is mainly wizardry and M&M series...(and DOS era dungeon hacks).

Already i think in Dragon Age there are a bit too many options (the stuff you give your points when you level up in the various skill categories, like there are 2 ways to proceed as fighter, one with "bravery" and one with "precision". This is already overcomplicated for my "simple" Wiz8 choices. Who knows how much time i will spend reading and picking the wrong choices...
 
Last edited:
Good lord, how many mods are there for Dragon Age? Each time i search for one, i stumble to 5 more. And many seem to be hosted by "Nexus", that is payware? Duh...What a disgrace for RPGs... I hope at least the modders get a percentage of the $...

EDIT: Nevermind, i found i can register for free in nexus too.
 
Last edited:
Unbeleivable, Legend of Grimrock seems like a flashback of Eye of the Beholder! This one is a sure keeper.
It's really good and cheap. The next version should be out later this year.

It goes to show you that you don't need a 150M budget and 100 people to make a good RPG. LoG was made by 4 people.
 
Good lord, how many mods are there for Dragon Age? Each time i search for one, i stumble to 5 more. And many seem to be hosted by "Nexus", that is payware? Duh...What a disgrace for RPGs... I hope at least the modders get a percentage of the $...

EDIT: Nevermind, i found i can register for free in nexus too.

Nexusmods is the place to go if you want to waste endless hours modding up your favourite games :). I loves it, particularly for Skyrim.

The reason so many modders use it is that they don't charge for hosting and they have good searching and tools (like the Nexus Mod Manager).
 
It's really good and cheap. The next version should be out later this year.

It goes to show you that you don't need a 150M budget and 100 people to make a good RPG. LoG was made by 4 people.

I may buy it after all, just for the sake of old times. Reminds me of the Eye of the Beholder, where i had to manually draw maze maps on paper on my own. :D Besides, if only 4 people could make it, they deserve support...


Sycraft said:
Nexusmods is the place to go if you want to waste endless hours modding up your favourite games . I loves it, particularly for Skyrim.

The reason so many modders use it is that they don't charge for hosting and they have good searching and tools (like the Nexus Mod Manager).

So that's what "NMM" is, in the download options! I thought it was a manager, because my browser was giving me "unsupported protocol" and thus i was choosing manual download, but i didn't know what it was!

Yeah, tons of mods for Dragon Age too. I am following this guide here basically (written by a girl no less, duh!):

http://girlplaysgame.com/2013/08/02/dragon-age-31-mods-you-never-knew-you-needed/

But, i also found more, just by pure coincidence. Unbelievable. I am still searching and downloading...

I may buy Skyrim in a few years, when i will have better GPU and maybe if i take anti-motion sickness pills, because i also have Morrowind (of the same game company) and never managed to play it, because that type of movement makes me throw up in the keyboard. With DragonAge i don't see me having this problem, probably because the camera can be positioned also high and maybe also because the graphics are very detailed. I imagine Skyrim won't allow full graphics with my current GPU. But in a couple of years, i will have better GPU, that will run Skyrim like butter, a bit like it does today with Dragon Age :) I did find though also a Morrowind Overhaul mod and a "Morroblivion" that enhance graphics, so maybe i won't have dizzyness. I may try these to see if i still get dizzy. I think i get motion sickness when the graphics are blurry and the camera hops around a lot.

Or maybe i should go Oblivion in 2 years, Skyrim in 4 years. LOL!

P.S: Gee, it's a good time to be a teenager nowdays i see...Too late for me... Nude patches weren't exactly good like these, when i was playing Sims I... :D
 
Last edited:
I really wanted to enjoy this, but the tiny zoom level was just too offputting. I don't care if they look pixelated, I just want them to be bigger on screen. I tried dropping the resolution, using accessibility features in windows, etc; but it just wouldn't look right. If they had that, I would pick it back up.

I didn't mind it, but I'm only using a 23" x1080 screen. The overland map zoom seemed a bit overdone, but I was OK with it.
 

Thanks, but i don't like this coloured grid thing. Doesn't feel too natural and seems too restricted. I mean, i like turn based, but not chess-like turn based where you have grids you can walk to. The whole beauty of turn based is you get more strategic game. But in a grid, you get to lose strategic positioning.


Drakensang! Great games, if you enjoy Dragon Age, you should enjoy Drakensang, they're similar with regards to gameplay.

Oh yes, i enjoy it! :D

vzu26w.png


Drankesang looks nice, but i don't like online games.


Anyway, i m doing OK in Dragon's age in my first play. I only killed here once in the Castle, because 3 ganged up on her (a mage in front, 2 soldiers in the back) and i forgot to use the healing potions (this is Wizardry 8 reflex, where i always have a Bishop to take care of healing, so i forget potions exist). At any case, my faithful dog (Barky) and her mom using bow, managed to take care of the rest (well, sir Gilmore was also there), so my heroine got resurrected...

I also think i only made one blunder thus far. By reading a pdf guide, seems that before leaving her dad's Castle, i should have gotten the "family weapons". By mistake i had her mother try to open a chest and instead she smashed it and i got "one item destroyed" message. I THINK it may have been a shield... I only found dad's 2-handed sword, but since the character started with shield and sword, i don't see why start 2-handed items, so i sold it.

The other mistake i did, was not plundering quickly enough bodies and leaving some daggers and other stuff behind. So now, i am at the Grey Warden Joining camp and i don't have money for new shield nor armor, other than a rough leather helmet. I got a slightly better longsword. I also got 2 bones for my dog and some more healing thingies. I hope i don't get butchered... I haven't quite grasped the "auto-tactics" yet, i prefer doing everything myself and till now seems to work.

I should have taken directly the entire pack, that was containing the Awakening too. I also saw there is Dragon Age II, although i haven't read reviews. If it's the same gameplay and my poor GPU can run it, i think it's next on the list... But still, i have soooo many things to learn here.
Luckily i also don't get motion sickness with it. Maybe because my GPU manages to run it so well. I am actually amazed that my GPU can handle it so well. I 've even enabled x8 AA!!!
 
My only complaint is that the zoom is insufficient to see characters up close, unless you walk near a wall.
 
Thanks, but i don't like this coloured grid thing. Doesn't feel too natural and seems too restricted. I mean, i like turn based, but not chess-like turn based where you have grids you can walk to. The whole beauty of turn based is you get more strategic game. But in a grid, you get to lose strategic positioning.

I can understand your preference. Though let's not argue which is more strategic, I think you might find yourself losing that battle.
 
I can understand your preference. Though let's not argue which is more strategic, I think you might find yourself losing that battle.

Ok, fair enough. Let's say i prefer a certain freedom of movement, taking advantage of particular terrain. I 've been playing Wizardy 8 for too many years, it has become 2nd nature. In Wiz8 it's all about correct positioning, a bit like Sun Tzu says. You must pick your terrain where to fight.
 
Ok, fair enough. Let's say i prefer a certain freedom of movement, taking advantage of particular terrain. I 've been playing Wizardy 8 for too many years, it has become 2nd nature. In Wiz8 it's all about correct positioning, a bit like Sun Tzu says. You must pick your terrain where to fight.

Wiz8 is excellent. It is permanently installed on my 2 main rigs.

A grid isn't limited in regards to positioning and terrain. Many game like this just have a hidden grid. Hex based being the most flexible.
 
Wiz8 is excellent. It is permanently installed on my 2 main rigs.

A grid isn't limited in regards to positioning and terrain. Many game like this just have a hidden grid. Hex based being the most flexible.

Hmm. Since you are also a Wiz8 fan, i will take a look at Avernum again once i am finished with Dragon Age.

Wiz8, has remarkable re-playability. I mean, Dragon Ages is much prettier and cinematic and all, but i am now about to depart for the "light the tower of Ishar" quest and so i have done several battles and i must say, the satisfaction and strategic planning made in Wizardry8, is superior. Dragon Ages is more "graphics awe". Usually it's so confusing when they all fight in a tight spot, that i only bother to give commands to my character and the dog. I leave the other warriors do their thing, they seem to be doing fine without me... In Wiz8 you had the satisfaction of preparing each single attack.

By the way, in case you don't know, there are several good mods for Wiz8

My favourites:
- Lanastasia's (Flamestryke's) 1.4d mod (puts new items in the game and fixes some missing stuff). God rest her soul.
- Wizardry 8 enhancements (i only recently used it and it's good).
- Wiz8 Reforged. Haven't played it, but i know it's extensive retexturing, new areas, new plots, it's massive and brings big changes to the story.

There are others too, (Dodd the slayer mod), but these 3 have captured my interest. You may want to try them if you haven't already.
 
Dodd the Slayer mod is a huge rebalance. I would only recommend it if you want a challenge and have played several times. Quest items have been moved around, too.

I only use Flamestryke's and Wizfast.

I find Wiz8 to be way more tactical and strategic than Dragon Age. Both are fun, But I've spent more time in Wiz8 by a couple hundred hours. Building parties is fun.
 
Are there any Wizardry 8 mods that improve the game without changing it?

Specifically only stuff like texture improvements and bug fixes.
 
Dodd the Slayer mod is a huge rebalance. I would only recommend it if you want a challenge and have played several times. Quest items have been moved around, too.

I only use Flamestryke's and Wizfast.

I find Wiz8 to be way more tactical and strategic than Dragon Age. Both are fun, But I've spent more time in Wiz8 by a couple hundred hours. Building parties is fun.

I agree. I didn't know about Wizfast... Yeah, i don't like the mods that change even the spells. I mean, i know them by heart, why make me scratch my head again... For Reforged i will probably make an exception, because of the complete retexturing, but only when they come up with a complete walkthrough. Last time i read, they even moved where Bela is. I mean, come on...

AceCR42 said:
Are there any Wizardry 8 mods that improve the game without changing it?

Specifically only stuff like texture improvements and bug fixes.


No retexturing that i know, but rebalancing and fixing thing yes.

- Flamestryke's 4d mod. It is EXCELLENT. Doesn't change the plot, but fixes things, rebalances things (new weapons for underrated classes that make them shine again), fixed locations for some spellbooks...

http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/flamestryke/wizardry8/flamestrykes_w8.html

It was designed particularly, with in mind small parties. For example, in Arnika's tower, there is now an awesome bishop staff, with nice regeneration abilities. Non Faerie Ninjas are now playable and lethal and so on. Making duos with Lana's mod is very much fun. You end up with powerhouses that nothing can touch them, because they take all the XP for themselves and level very quickly. You can even go solo with Lana's mod. People have even gone solo with non casting classes, using power trainning Iron will, potions, scrolls and possibly taking a level of caster.

This is "Wiz8 Enhancements), which also tries to do the same, but to lesser extent.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/wizardry-8-enhancements.79581/

Both mods have new graphics for items. For example, now each kind of potion can be identified by colour or bottle.


They 're both very nice without altering the game to levels you can't recognize it anymore.


Anyway, you can check this, it's the best resource for mods that i know of:
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/wiz8mods.htm

There is also a forum still active about Wiz8 where new mods come out after all these years.

http://www.postcount.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?47-Wizardry-Series
 
Back
Top