Need remote connection software Mac to Win7

shatterstar

Limp Gawd
My company was using LogmeIn but recently decided to end the subscription as out of 25 people only one was using it. Everyone in the office uses Remote Web Workplace (old fashion) and never bothered to use/learn LogmeIn. Unfortunately this one guy is on a MAC and RWW runs on Active x which is not supported by MAC. I know there are workarounds but he is not computer savvy and my knowledge on Mac's is very little so.... Can anyone recommend something that will connect a Mac computer to a windows based machine?

Of course not LogmeIn as it is too expensive. something cheap (preferably free) but most importantly easy to use/setup.

It's a shame Crossloop doesn't exist anymore because that would have been perfect.

TeamViewer would work, but it's not free for commercial use. You might be able to get by with the Remote Desktop plugin for Google Chrome, but it's not really meant for support. I think the techs were I work use Techinline Expert, but I think that might only support Windows. So yeah, lots of kinda ok options with varying issues.

Connecting to a Mac from PC or connecting from Mac to PC?
Mac OS X has a built in VNC server you just have to enable it; I believe it's under network options (somewhere). Once you do that, you should be able to use any VNC client on the PC to connect to the Mac.

If you want the vice versa, you'll need to install a VNC server on the PC and use a VNC client on the Mac. I would suggest RealVNC but (as with TeamViewer) it's not free for corporate use. UltraVNC is free and allowed for corp use on PC, but they don't have a Mac variant; I believe most Mac users rely on Chicken (formerly Chicken of the VNC).

Last edited:
Use RDP. It's native to Windows and Microsoft offers an excellent client for it in the Mac App Store that has near feature-parity with the Windows version.

Back