Need recommendations for a reliable external hard drive.

Zan

Limp Gawd
Reliability is the most important consideration, and any suggestions (model, brand) would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Umm what are you looking for? 2.5", 3.5", USB 2.0, eSata, Firewire, self powered, capacity, etc?

not Maxtor.

I cringe at the thought of a Maxtor.

I've sworn by Western Digital for a long time and they have been generally trouble-free. I have seen some 4yr+ 20-80GB drives failing recently but they were just disk errors / slow Windows and ghosting the drive was never a problem on these.

In the past year I've installed some Seagate and Hitachi due to better pricing and so far no problems.

im pretty sure maxtor was bought by seagate and they now use seagate drives in their enclosures.

correct me if im a dunce

Anything not pre-made.

Get an internal drive, an external case with active cooling, and put the drive in the case.

a new drive will give you 5 year warranty instead of 1 year that almost all externals give..

rubber feet or base and a nice size heatsink/ fan...

id also like to buy a few new external cases for usb and if possible usb / esata .. i have some lian li and they are working fine but its solid metal and i dont really like the looks... id go with black edition 1tb and what ever case someone recommends

Back