Need RAM & PSU Recommendation

mikecLA

Weaksauce
Building an X79 Box, Rampage IV, 3930K, 1 GTX 580, SSD & 4 Hitachi Deskstar drives in Raid 0, case is a Fractal Design Define R3.

My HSF will be an NH-D14, which is huge, so I need low profile RAM, 32Gigs.

For the PSU, I need something that is quiet and will meet the needs on the above config.

Edit: If this will work (or something else in this price range) I may up it to 64gigs for the hell of it (Running VM and rendering video)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1705075&CatId=4534

The Corsair Dominator RAM you've linked to is a horrible choice. The RAM set isn't low profile or (comparatively) inexpensive.

How much, at most, are you willing to spend on a decent PSU and 32GB of RAM?

I don't really have a budget, so say $1000 max. The only reason I was price conscious on the RAM is because last I checked, 8gig sticks seemed to be way overpriced compared to 4's, so I was either going to fill 8 slots with 4's or wait for pricing to come down.

The Corsair Dominator RAM you've linked to is a horrible choice. The RAM set isn't low profile or (comparatively) inexpensive.

Here is the problem: All 8GB DDR3-1600 DIMMs currently cost at least 75 percent more than 4GB DDR3-1600 DIMMs on a per GB basis. However, low RAM prices may be coming to an end because all signs are pointing to a massive increase in the prices for the smaller DIMMs in a few months. This means that the cheapest 4GB DIMMs will nearly double in price in just a few weeks while the prices for the 8GB DIMMs will remain relatively flat (although this increase will not be so much due to the doubling of the pricing of the less-dense ICs as it is due to the major memory brands switching their 4GB sticks completely to the ICs used in the 8GB DIMMs, which almost invariably cost significantly more than less-dense ICs on a per-Mbit basis). This means that the higher cost of the 4GB DIMMs in the near future will be due to the memory brands transitioning from double-ranked 4GB DIMMs to single-ranked 4GB DIMMs, thus necessitating the use of the exact same expensive ICs that are used in the 8GB DIMMs.

If that's the case, I may as well just buy 8 4gig sticks now while they are cheap. I can always replace the 8 sticks later on and use these in another machine. That being said, I'm back to asking, what is going to work with this config where I can fill all slots without the HSF being in the way?

If that's the case, I may as well just buy 8 4gig sticks now while they are cheap. I can always replace the 8 sticks later on and use these in another machine. That being said, I'm back to asking, what is going to work with this config where I can fill all slots without the HSF being in the way?

You will have to find memory kits that do not have such tall heatsinks, such as the Vengeance Low-Profile kits (those kits whose Corsair model numbers begin with "CML", such as the CML16GX3M4A1600C9B, a 4 x 4GB kit which has blue-colored heatsinks). Memory with tall heatsinks could interfere with the proper installation of many tower-style CPU heatsinks.

Ok, so the RAM is covered, will go with the CML.

On the PSU, I'm thinking Coolermaster Silent Pro850, Corsair 850 or Seasonic Platinum 1000. Of those, which is the most silent? Any I should disregard or others to consider?

Thanks.

Which Corsair 850W? There's the AX, HX, TX, TX V2, and TX___M 850W models.

I'd drop the Coolermaster PSU since its performance isn't as good as many of the Corsair 850W and it has less power on the +12V rail than other 850W PSUs.

I'm guessing if Corsair, I would go with the top of the line which I think is AX, unless there is good reason not to. I've read some good reviews here on the Seasonic as well. Any reason not to choose it? Which of the 2 brands would be quieter and still get the job done?

I realize I may also need to move to liquid cooling the GPU if the fan noise becomes an issue, but I'm waiting on a GTX 680 before I make that decision.

I'm guessing if Corsair, I would go with the top of the line which I think is AX, unless there is good reason not to. I've read some good reviews here on the Seasonic as well. Any reason not to choose it?
Which of the 2 brands would be quieter and still get the job done?
Can't judge based on brand alone as each company has PSUs that are somewhat louder than PSUs from the same company. Not to mention that Seasonic actually makes some of Corsair's PSUs.

Though if you meant models, I'd give the edge to the Seasonic Platinum.

Back