Need Quick Answer about Ohms!

Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
935
Alright,
So I'm watching some items on ebay that are ending soon. One is a Harman Kardon receiver that outputs at 8ohms, the other is a set of sony 5.1 speakers with subwoofer. The speakers all are rated at 3ohms. Will these two work together? I figured they wouldnt but I wan't to make sure...
 
sony 5.1 = lol

try the all room 5.1 if you want the bang for thw buck deal. good quality.
 
no....

You 8 oh HK amplifier will be overloaded with 3 ohm speakers.

You could get by with 6....not 3.
 
Whether it will be overloaded or not depends on how high the current goes. You can run 1 ohm speakers on that receiver but you won't get maximum power before the protection flips, or something could burn out so it's probably not safe if you're not careful. But given that the speakers aren't any good anyway, might as well replace them IMO.
 
That's right. And just to add, impedance (ohms) ratings are just nominal values, it also varies while the speakers are playing.
 
Back
Top