• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need PSU for htpc build

Fharakin

Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
663
I am putting together a amd system to stick next to the tv.
AMD 5500+
Asus M3A78 w/ onboard video
2gb ram

Looking for low cost/reliability for this build.

I am tired of dragging my damn cast into the living room and really dont want a 150' vga cable...
 
If you're just using onboard video, then I recommend these PSUs:
$55 - Antec Earthwatts 430W PSU
$50 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU
 
SeaSonic SS-400ES 400W
Max. Combined: +12V@30A
+5V@20A, +3.3V@20A,+12V1@17A, +12V2@17A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A
$54: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817151039

ENERMAX Liberty ELT400AWT-ECO 400W [Modular]
Max. Combined: +12V@32A
+3.3V@20A,+5V@20A,+12V1@22A,+12V2@22A, -12V@0.6A,+5VSB@3.0A
$85: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194042

Power Supply Guide for Today's & Tomorrow's Computers
I prefer super quiet for home theater & Seasonic PWNS quiet!:)
 
If you're going to recommend a Seasonic PSU for silence, one of the ET models with a 120mm fan like this one would be a better choice (the 400W model is sold out at the moment, but this is still plenty for the system in question): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151060
There are always reasons why I recommend specific models.
He would always be limited to IGP & even though he is starting with IGP,
I would hate for him to have to replace his PSU just to get a decent GPU.
Nice, if he wants that case.
 
There are always reasons why I recommend specific models. He would always be limited to IGP & even though he is starting with IGP,
The SS-400ET actually has a PCI-E connector, except it's out of stock at the moment which is why I suggested the 350W model. In any case, it's always possible to use a molex to PCI-E adapter if necessary to power a video card, whereas you can't exactly swap out the 80mm fan to a 120mm fan to reduce noise if you wanted to ;).
 
The SS-400ET actually has a PCI-E connector, except it's out of stock at the moment which is why I suggested the 350W model. In any case, it's always possible to use a molex to PCI-E adapter if necessary to power a video card, whereas you can't exactly swap out the 80mm fan to a 120mm fan to reduce noise if you wanted to ;).
Exactly the reason that 400W as not recommended, even though it was my #1 choice!
 
Exactly the reason that 400W as not recommended, even though it was my #1 choice!
My point though is that for an HTPC where silence is of major importance, the 350W model with a 120mm fan would be a better choice than the 400W model with an 80mm fan.
 
My point though is that for an HTPC where silence is of major importance, the 350W model with a 120mm fan would be a better choice than the 400W model with an 80mm fan.
Not without a PCI-E connector!

But this really is just a matter of opinion, either PSU will power his proposed system without adapters & those Seasonics I recommended really are very quiet, even with the smaller fans, trust me on that.
 
I used that exact Seasonic in a build for my gf and it is dead silent. Her computer has onboard graphics so no PCI-E connector didn't matter.
 
Thanks for the help. I appreciate the future looking out about the pcie connector. Considering the board is AM2+ I could upgrade in the future to make it a half ass gaming machine.

Thanks again.
 
Silverstone Strider series are the quietest power supplies i ever used though i have no experience with Seasonic for comparison.

Don't forger there are fanless models out there for complete silence if you are willing to pay some extra bucks.
 
Back
Top