Need PC Speakers

Hikaru IchijoSL

Limp Gawd
My Klipsch ultra 5.1 sub died. I need a replacement. I would like to use the speakers from that set. My budget is about $150. I am using a set of altec lansing and they hiss like mad and they are just very weak speakers.

so you want 5.1 again @ the $150 price range?

umm...oh lol... newegg has 3 5.1 speaker setups one is $340~ on is $71~ and one is out of stock.

none are anything i'd want especially the $71 one..but i sure as heck wouldn't pay $340 for the logitech z906 setup either.

if you want 5.1 I would look @ used receivers /speakers (if you have room for a receiver that is ..and /or room for proper bookshelf speakers)

you could (gag) look @ htib type stuff too if you wanted but i wouldn't

or you could say F*ck it and go 2.1 or even 2.0 for now.

T-AMP and Bookshelf speakers should be doable for $150 easy (or less if you go the Lepai $20 t-amp and Dayton Audio B652 $29 @ parts express route that is frequently suggested.

personally i don't care for the looks or quality of the build of the lepai amp so i have a SMSL SA-S3 t-amp which was $60 (shipped) from ebay and Polk Audio T-15s and a PSW10 sub for a very nice sounding 2.1 setup ....I am using my Scarlett 2i2 (DAW) as a DAC with this and using WASAPI w/ winamp plug-in...for really nice quality sound... i'm very please with it anyways (which i suppose is good cause i'm the one who listens to it and all.)

5.1 can easily be done at $150.

Re-use the Klipsch sats, get a used receiver for $50-75, and get a cheap Yamaha or Dayton Subwoofer with the rest of the money.

That's gonna sound like crap, the Kplisch satellites are already very limited, you try to run them off a receiver which will probably force a lower crossover and they're gonna sound even worse. Basically gonna end up with tons of bass, a muddled to hell midrange, and drowned out highs... Even stock they'd sound better.

Anyway, there's a lot of passive bookshelf speakers that go on sale at or below $100 quite often. Pioneer BS41, Polk M30, the Dayton's mentioned before, etc. Pair them with a cheap amp like the Lepai lp-2020a+ or something a little better if you want and you can get a pretty nice budget setup.

The advantage of going that route is that it's very modular, you can always add a sub later, or get a receiver and expand to 5.1. There's been lots of threads here on the subject but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Back