Need opinions about Multiplayer shooters (with restrictions)

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Ok, our SOF2 clan is reaching out (read: getting a little bored with) the game and we are looking to open our horizon to other multiplayer shooters.

So far, so easy. BUT, and here is the catch(!):

- it can't be expensive (so, $49 for BF2 is not an option, it might be the best one right now, but we're not interested in spending that much). Best would be under $30.

- it has to have linux dedicated server files

- it should be similar paced as SOF2, e.g. not as fast paced as UT2k4

- it must be capable of running with at least 20 players in multiplayer mode

- the graphics should be better than SOF2

- It can't be based on the HL2 engine (because we have a few clan members that won't touch Steam with a 9 foot pole)

I should mention that we tried CoD and didn't really care for it...

Any suggestions?

seriously, i bought bf2 for 35 bucks, and it's an excellent multiplayer game. i would recommend waiting and getting it on sale, rather than buying a game that won't be as good.

You got some picky clan members.. lol.

Have you tried America's Army? It's free.. has a linux install.. and since it's free.. there probably a lot of people that play it. You also can play different roles in the games.

Our clan is international. We would have to wait until the game is on sale or reduced in price in 4 different countries. Really not an option for the short term.....

I would go with UT2k4 (I know, hold on a sec) and then get some mods that are a bit slower paced.

If you're looking for another war sim, Red Orchestra is a good one. FragOps is sort of a CS clone. I'm sure there are some other mods that aren't as frantic as the standard deathmatch play, but those are the ones I'm familiar with.

As for your other criteria, the retail version comes with a linux installer for playing, and if you're looking to just run a server, you can download those packages for free from Epic. RO can handle 16v16 games, I believe; I'm not sure about FO, but I think I've seen at least 8v8 games. The general guide is that you'll need about 128k upload speed per player slot, though.

Anyway, I'm pretty much just plugging what is probably my favorite game. UT2k4 runs about $10-$20 now, and there are enough mods that it'll do pretty much whatever you're looking for. (There are even racing, golf, and tennis mods.)

magnetik said:
You got some picky clan members.. lol.

Have you tried America's Army? It's free.. has a linux install.. and since it's free.. there probably a lot of people that play it.

Ok, thanks, one thing i can look into.....appreciated!

CellBlock said:
I would go with UT2k4 (I know, hold on a sec) and then get some mods that are a bit slower paced.

If you're looking for another war sim, Red Orchestra is a good one. FragOps is sort of a CS clone. I'm sure there are some other mods that aren't as frantic as the standard deathmatch play, but those are the ones I'm familiar with.

As for your other criteria, the retail version comes with a linux installer for playing, and if you're looking to just run a server, you can download those packages for free from Epic. RO can handle 16v16 games, I believe; I'm not sure about FO, but I think I've seen at least 8v8 games. The general guide is that you'll need about 128k upload speed per player slot, though.

Anyway, I'm pretty much just plugging what is probably my favorite game. UT2k4 runs about $10-$20 now, and there are enough mods that it'll do pretty much whatever you're looking for. (There are even racing, golf, and tennis mods.)

Ok, I'm open for that as well.....can you give me some mod sites for UT2k4, not a site for a specific mod, but where more than one is listed with some kind of description for them?!

Tribes 2 ain't bad. You are pretty much stuck with ladder play, though, as it's an older game and the pubs are pretty barren.

And it's cheap!

The newer "Tribes: Vengeance" isn't as good. Tribes 2 is slower paced, and ALL about team play...T:V is UT2K4-engine-based, and while not nearly as fast as that game, does speed up a bunch over T2.

I'll second the "America's Army" vote, though. Good game! Don't cheat on Teamspeak, though, when you die in a round. :mad:

dderidex said:
Tribes 2 ain't bad. You are pretty much stuck with ladder play, though, as it's an older game and the pubs are pretty barren.

And it's cheap!

The newer "Tribes: Vengeance" isn't as good. Tribes 2 is slower paced, and ALL about team play...T:V is UT2K4-engine-based, and while not nearly as fast as that game, does speed up a bunch over T2.

I'll second the "America's Army" vote, though. Good game! Don't cheat on Teamspeak, though, when you die in a round. :mad:

oh, isn't there an option to only show teammates when dead?? Seems pretty important to me.

ScYcS said:
oh, isn't there an option to only show teammates when dead?? Seems pretty important to me.

Of course there is, but the game is a "sneaker", not a twitch shooter - most the time you are shot, it's because you didn't see the enemy come around the corner behind you. Face-to-face gunfights or run-n-gunning is EXTREMELY rare (as in, virtually never happens).

Watching teammates play, you can simply flip the camera around to watch their back for them. Or tilt the camera a bit to look around a corner for them, etc.

QuimZ said:
Don't be a dick, that was a serious answer
Can't afford $35? or $30 used? Looks like you're S.O.L.

First off it would be $70 because we need 2 copies in our household. And secondly, it's hard to find for under $40, not even talking about $30 as you suggest. Third, $70 is a lot of money if you have to work for it, maybe you spoiled rotten mind can't understand it, but it is for some people. I wasn't a dick because i already said in my very first post that a full price game is not an option, so please stop behaving like a "dick", only because i can't afford $70 or $80 for a computer game.

I swear to god man, there was once a time when you could post a serious question on this board without getting flamed. Sadly this seems to be over as of lately. Every single thread here is full of flames, insults etc. When the heck did this happen and why in the world does it have to be like that? Some people seem to have a keyboard in front of them which makes them switch off their brains and then click the post button.

dderidex said:
Of course there is, but the game is a "sneaker", not a twitch shooter - most the time you are shot, it's because you didn't see the enemy come around the corner behind you. Face-to-face gunfights or run-n-gunning is EXTREMELY rare (as in, virtually never happens).

Watching teammates play, you can simply flip the camera around to watch their back for them. Or tilt the camera a bit to look around a corner for them, etc.

That's allright then. We're playing for fun and not to spoil the fun out of the game....

Now this one is a little older, but bear with me: Nerf ArenaBlast.

I remember playing the demo for this game and thought it was one of the coolest MP deathmatch-style games I'd ever seen. Very creative, very inoffensive, and very fun. You'll probably be better off scouring EBay for it, but you might want to give it a look! :)

ScYcS said:
Ok, I'm open for that as well.....can you give me some mod sites for UT2k4, not a site for a specific mod, but where more than one is listed with some kind of description for them?!

FilePlanet is generally a good place. Most other download sites (FileShack, GamersHell, etc.) have the same content, but FilePlanet has decent organization.

Well, I can recommend Black Hawk Down and it's expansion Team Sabre. I used to play them all the time until BF2 came out. You should be able to pick up a combo pack with both of them for something like $20 or $30 someplace. It's pretty fun though not as fun as BF2.

Also, the company that made Black Hawk Down also made another one called Joint Operations. I haven't played this one or it's expansion but it's supposed to have slightly better graphics than BHD and it'll allow more players in multiplayer mode than BHD.

I know there's a free demo of Joint Ops out there but I don't know if there is one for BHD. You might check out the demo to see if you like them.

how about stealing a copy of battlefield 2? jk :D
BF2 really is the best clan game out today, and I think that if u just waited and saved up for it that you would get alot out of it. I don't think that if u saved up $70 it would break your bank.

HurtMeP1nty007 said:
how about stealing a copy of battlefield 2? jk :D
BF2 really is the best clan game out today, and I think that if u just waited and saved up for it that you would get alot out of it. I don't think that if u saved up $70 it would break your bank.

Normally it wouldn't but unfortunately my car just broke ($1200, camshaft in 2) and i ordered heating oil ($900)....so it really isn't the best year we've had so far.

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll discuss all this with my Clan members and we'll see which one will be added to our server.

If you're going to invest a lot of time and energy into something, why not spend the extra 20 dollars?

I'm not sure what the bias against steam is either. I personally like it alot since I dont have to manage any CDs.

Oh don't ask me why they don't like steam. If it was for me, we'd play DoD:S all day long. I love steam....

Back