Need new SSD now :)

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
So im helping my friend get a new SSD. He wants something, from a website that can deliver to Canada, so if anyone can link anything good I would appreciate it. (Does newegg deliver to Canada?)

From what I hear Intel G2 is the way to go for now. Do the 80GB version support trim function? or is the 160GB the only one that does?

What exactly is trim function do to your SSD? and how important is it yo have?

The 80gb version on newegg is like $200 the 160gb is about $450 is spending $250 extra worth the trim? I think he will be satisfied with 80gb capacity, so space is not that important as performance.

Thanks you.

Last edited:
All Intel second generation (G2) drives support TRIM, regardless of capacity. And TRIM is very important.

I don't know if Newegg does Canada yet, but their 80GB x-25 is going for $219 shipped right now. If your friend is using Windows 7, trim support is already in place.

NCIX.com

delivery or pickup

I second them. They are my preferred e-tailer, but they don't carry everything.

They accept EBP with no charge, which is great for me seeing I do not have a credit card. Interac charges a fee.

I've never been disappointed with anything, yet. (Always possible.)

I think Newegg does have a CA site, but I dunno what their prices are like. Isn't NCIX the biggest e-tailer up there? I'd look up their prices on any of these drives... (quoting myself from another thread)

The rub to all this is that Intel and Indillix/OCZ and Intel prices have complimented themselves up to this point based on capacity, so for most buyers the performance difference(s) isn't even an issue since they'll just buy the largest drive they can afford. i.e. $85-100 for a 30GB Agility/Vertex AR, $120 for a 40GB Intel X25-V, $155-200 for a 60GB Solid 2/Agility/Vertex AR, $220-250 for an 80GB X25-M G2, $285-$330 for a 120GB Solid 2/Agility/Vertex AR, $425-460 for a 120GB X25-M G2...

Prices literally complement each other to fill up every possible bracket, this has been the case even a few months ago when they were higher across the board (due to high demand & price gouging on Intel drives, and the coming and going of rebates on Indillix-based drives). AFAIK the new 128GB Micron/Crucial drive is gonna go for $450-500 and it's faster than all those so the price premium is somewhat merited, and if you're in the market for their 256MB version the price is probably of no concern to you. :p

All those support TRIM. TRIM is a function that basically allows your SSD to retain "like-new" performance throughout it's lifetime (so long as you don't fill it up to capacity, it's always recommended to leave about 15% empty). Without TRIM performance would degrade with use over time, although OCZ/Indillix drives have a GC (Garbage Collection) feature that works in much the same way TRIM does... The difference being that GC runs when the drive is idle and TRIM happens dynamically whenever you delete something, so it's a lil' more efficient.

Based on your few comments I'd say a 60GB OCZ Solid 2/Agility or an 80GB Intel X25-M G2 would be your best bet. $155-220 (after rebates and/or if you don't get price gouged while trying to find the Intel drives in stock :p ).

Back