• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need new PSU suggestions.

MuZI

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
344
So I have an old Coolermaster 500w PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018).

Although the PSU functions OK there is a slight problem. I have an Antec 300 case so the PSU is mounted at the bottom and the 4-pin is located at the top of the board. With the VC and Stock HSF installed it BARELY was long enough to get to the 12V 4 pin but I replaced the stock HSF with a Noctua (everyone knows these things are a bit huge) and now I can't connect the 4 pin without problems.

So I'd like a PSU recommendation with long braided wires... the specs are in my signature. I'm pretty sure 500-650W range should be good and I'd like to keep in the $100 spending range.

The only thing I might change in the future is maybe add an extra HDD and change my VC to a 5770.

Would either of these be a good idea:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
 
Last edited:
The Corsair 550VX is good but overpriced. The Corsair 650TX is the far far better deal.
 
Can you please tell me what the difference is between the VX and TX?

Basically nothing at this point in time. They're pretty much the same thing: they're Corsair's most bang for the buck line. IIRC, the VX line is being phased out in favor of the TX line.

Though between these particular PSUs, the 550VX is made by CWT and the 650TX is made by Seasonic. So the 650TX is the better choice for the money.
 

I was actually planning on doing exactly that but I've been meaning to change my PSU anyway.

Heh, where's the fun in that? :)

I just got a Corsair 400watt for an older system I have and the cables that came on it are long. My case is older and the PS sits right above the MB and the connectors so I have to stuff the extra cable out of the way. The 4 pin and pci-e cables are long as well.

Thanks, I guess I'll be picking up the 650TX.
 
The Corsairs are made by CWT except for the 620 watt. So the TX and HX series are inferior the the Seasonic x650 in most every way.
 
and the X-650 is also a lot more expensive than the TX650...he said he wanted to spend $100 or less. The X-650 is $160+

The TX650 is far from being a piece of junk, so there is no reason for him not to buy it if that is his budget.

The TX650 is also made by Seasonic
 
I ended up getting the TX 650 last week and it works like a charm. The wires are longer and the fan is much more quiet than my last PSU.

I wish I had gotten a modular PSU as it would have helped with cable management. I would have gladly paid extra but for now I'm content with how the Corsiar works.

Just a quick question... when I check voltages in HWmonitor by CPUZID it shows -12V being -6V. Is this normal behavior?
 
Just a quick question... when I check voltages in HWmonitor by CPUZID it shows -12V being -6V. Is this normal behavior?

Ignore any software readings of PSU voltages. They're usually very inaccurate. If you want to know your voltages, you need to us a DMM:

[Testing the PSU]
Buy and use a digital multi-meter to monitor the voltages coming from the PSU. Follow the instructions for "Using a multi-meter to check voltages":
http://www.bfgpower.com/troubleshooting.html#DMM
 
Back
Top