Need new keyboard

Edgar

2[H]4U
I'm coming from a Logitech G910 Orion Spark mechanical keyboard. It is 7 years old and a few of the switches are dying. Rather just get a new one at this point. Anybody have any recommendations? Ty in advance!

It’s my first mechanical keyboard. I like it. I enjoy having a 10 key as well. Was hoping $100 or less. I know nothing about switches. Just know that this keyboard did clickity clacks. I did enjoy that I could set the colors per keys.

I'm coming from a Logitech G910 Orion Spark mechanical keyboard. It is 7 years old and a few of the switches are dying. Rather just get a new one at this point. Anybody have any recommendations? Ty in advance!

I had that keyboard, I switched to this one below. Similar design with dedicated media keys and the volume scroll wheel.

Time to go to optical switches https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ES-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/p/CH-911901A-NA

Optical switches are much better IMO.

What’s the difference between mechanical and optical switches. I’m willing to pay more if it’s easier to replace the switches individually.

What’s the difference between mechanical and optical switches. I’m willing to pay more if it’s easier to replace the switches individually.
These ones are specifically made for a shorter actuation distance and lighter force required to activate, so IMO a lot better for gaming and typing.
I think they're supposed to last a lot longer than mechanical. No idea if you can just pluck them out and replace them on this board or not.

You'll need to find a keyboard with "hot swappable" switches for that. The Corsair that Shark and I recommend doesn't have them.

The Glorious GMMK Gaming keyboard is worth a look, but it ain't cheap.

Ended up getting the Corsair k100 optical mechanical. $180 at Best Buy. Most expensive keyboard I’ve ever bought. Still wish Logitech had an optical mechanical option.

Logitech makes a lot of high end good stuff, but it seems like they take forever to adapt new tech to their keyboards.

They do have optical switches in their new G502X mouse though.

Logitech makes a lot of high end good stuff, but it seems like they take forever to adapt new tech to their keyboards.

They do have optical switches in their new G502X mouse though.
Not gonna lie. That will probably be my next mouse when my current one starts double clicking.

Not gonna lie. That will probably be my next mouse when my current one starts double clicking.

Yeah it's pretty awesome. It has all the features and enough buttons, but not too many buttons where you hit the wrong one on accident.
I use it with the PowerPlay wireless charging mouse mat, which is also awesome. But yeah this stuff is all expensive.

Saw this keyboard from Steelseries today. It's the Apex 9 TKL with hot swappable optical switches. It's a tenkeyless, so you'd need a separate keypad, but the price is $112 on Amazon right now. I'm tempted to give it a try myself.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You'll need to find a keyboard with "hot swappable" switches for that. The Corsair that Shark and I recommend doesn't have them.

I fell into the "custom" mechanical keyboard rabbit hole during the pandemic. If you want a nice "sounding/feeling" keyboard with hotswap sockets and not afraid of assembly (including lubing switches and stabs) and the ability to choose your switches at a reasonable price I suggest looking at KBDfans offerings. The KBDlite 67 and Tiger80 are far superior in sound and feel compared to Glorious keyboards and comparable in price and you don't have to deal with group buys. I have the original GMMK full size and two (2) GMMK Pro as well as the KBD67 lite and Tiger80 among other keyboards but KBDFans offers best bang for the buck by far (not including group buy options).

I fell into the "custom" mechanical keyboard rabbit hole during the pandemic. If you want a nice "sounding/feeling" keyboard with hotswap sockets and not afraid of assembly (including lubing switches and stabs) and the ability to choose your switches at a reasonable price I suggest looking at KBDfans offerings. The KBDlite 67 and Tiger80 are far superior in sound and feel compared to Glorious keyboards and comparable in price and you don't have to deal with group buys. I have the original GMMK full size and two (2) GMMK Pro as well as the KBD67 lite and Tiger80 among other keyboards but KBDFans offers best bang for the buck by far (not including group buy options).
Yeah, KBDFans makes some killer keyboards. Definitely worth checking out.

I went from the G910 to a G815 and really love the feel of the flat low profile keys. I replaced the G810 on my other system with a G815 as well.

IMG_1944.JPEG

Last edited:
I went from the G910 to a G815 and really love the feel of the flat low profile keys. I replaced the G810 on my other system with a G815 as well.

View attachment 537996
I agree... Having to type on a Lenovo at work I'm so used to typing on a flat keyboard... I actually type fastest on low profile since I'm so used it now. I

I agree... Having to type on a Lenovo at work I'm so used to typing on a flat keyboard... I actually type fastest on low profile since I'm so used it now. I
It also depends on the keyboard. I have the Solar one as well with low profile flat keys and I can’t type for crap on it.
996FD2A8-AD2C-4E8C-A7A1-C9C788F62F50.jpeg

All done with Logitech. That G-Hub thing can eat a bowl of dicks.
man I'm really having trouble with this iCUE software. I much prefer the Ghub. It worked great on my peripherals. Might need to check out G815 again. But i do like optical mechanical. Since no more double clicking is possible.

These ones are specifically made for a shorter actuation distance and lighter force required to activate, so IMO a lot better for gaming and typing.
I think they're supposed to last a lot longer than mechanical. No idea if you can just pluck them out and replace them on this board or not.
"Usually, mechanical switches have a lifespan ranging up to 50-80 million keystrokes, with Cherry MX switches offering a guarantee of 100 million keystrokes" - optical will probably be double this, depending on how long it is left on as the optics are on constantly.. but realistically, you'll be changing up keycaps (and/or keyboards) well before you hit those numbers.

Seconding the Glorious keyboard. I've had one with Kalih box white switches for a couple years and it's been fantastic.

That is what I have been doing for over 20 years now, figured it out on my own, was looking to see if there was debris or something in the switch and ended up re-tensioning the curved spring area on the lever when I was putting it back together.
Did it first on my MX1000 and that fix lasted a few years. Also fixed my MX Revolution, Performance MX, and G700.
I do have a couple of G700's and G602's and one G604 I need to fix.

Another option is to replace the switch with a different brand, which is what I might try.

I think I finally settled on a the g815 white. Just ordered it with 30% off coupon. So got it for $140. Got the k100. Then went to g915 wireless. Really wish they made a white. But don’t care to charge the keyboard much. So the g815 seems like the keyboard I’m finally settling on. They only make it in tactile switches which I’m fine with. And it’s white which is what I originally wanted in the first place.

If this is what your hands really like, then I would just replace it. Sometimes it is 'one and done' when you find the right input device. I started out typing on the Model F in school with a Model M at home and even after checking out nearly everything under the sun, I'm still with the Model M 99% of the time. My hands just love it so I just keep giving them one.

If this is what your hands really like, then I would just replace it. Sometimes it is 'one and done' when you find the right input device. I started out typing on the Model F in school with a Model M at home and even after checking out nearly everything under the sun, I'm still with the Model M 99% of the time. My hands just love it so I just keep giving them one.
Not a bad way to be. I think 7 years is a short lifespan for a mechanical keyboard or switch and I'd be a little leery about getting the same. If someone liked it well enough I could understand giving it another try though.

I've had the same KB/mouse for around a decade. I'm going to try a split board but I'm sticking with the same switch type.

Last edited:
Not a bad way to be. I think 7 years is a short lifespan for a mechanical keyboard or switch and I'd be a little leery about getting the same. If someone liked it well enough I could understand giving it another try though.

I've had the same KB/mouse for around a decade. I'm going to try a split board but I'm sticking with the same switch type.
Today's mechanicals aren't like their older brethren since there's been lots of manufacturing changes in the last 20 years, hell even in the last 3. And this is the same for switch types too--hence why true vintage switches still hold some sort of value compared to the exact same thing that's brand new.

Today's mechanicals aren't like their older brethren since there's been lots of manufacturing changes in the last 20 years, hell even in the last 3. And this is the same for switch types too--hence why true vintage switches still hold some sort of value compared to the exact same thing that's brand new.
I've thought about maybe giving vintage Alps a try but ISO enter boards are the only ones that tend to pop up for an okay price.

I've thought about maybe giving vintage Alps a try but ISO enter boards are the only ones that tend to pop up for an okay price.
The problem is if you're looking on places like ebay, all the sellers are knowing the tricks, etc. and just trying to 'max price' their wares. So you need to search local and off-grid if possible. I actually got a focus alps board (I think it's alps) for $6 or $12 locally.

The problem is if you're looking on places like ebay, all the sellers are knowing the tricks, etc. and just trying to 'max price' their wares. So you need to search local and off-grid if possible. I actually got a focus alps board (I think it's alps) for $6 or $12 locally.
I keep my eyes open for any decent vintage KBs and other PC HW but it's rare when I see anything old, let alone good. I did get a Natural Elite (near mint :)) some years back and that was a nice test drive for split keys. I think you got a nice deal even if it's one of the clone switches.

Back