Need new graphics card $100-$200 range to replace failing 8800gts 320mb

Shwick

Ad Blocker - Banned
I'm looking for a card to replace my failing EVGA 8800gts 320mb.

It would have to fit within the same power requirements. I have a Corsair hx 520 watt modular psu running core 2 e4400 @ 2.8ghz.

I like to overclock to get better value, so if there is an obvious choice for this range please tell. I have good cooling in my case, 4 x 120mmx120mmx40mm fans.

Monitor is a 19" Samsung 931BW with max res of 1440x900.

From my basic research using toms hardware charts and newegg.ca it seems the 9800 GTX+ is insanely popular,
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

Any suggestions?

With that monitor don't get anything more than a 5750 or 5770. 1440x900 is such an easy resolution to max out.

I'm looking for a card to replace my failing EVGA 8800gts 320mb.

It would have to fit within the same power requirements. I have a Corsair hx 520 watt modular psu running core 2 e4400 @ 2.8ghz.

I like to overclock to get better value, so if there is an obvious choice for this range please tell. I have good cooling in my case, 4 x 120mmx120mmx40mm fans.

Monitor is a 19" Samsung 931BW with max res of 1440x900.

From my basic research using toms hardware charts and newegg.ca it seems the 9800 GTX+ is insanely popular,
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

Any suggestions?

You can easily pick up either an ATI/AMD 5750 or 5770 for less than $200. This would also run rings around your replacement card.

5770's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...PA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=5770&x=0&y=0

5750's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...PA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=5750&x=0&y=0

With either one, you can't go wrong.

Faster then a 5770 and cheaper if you pick one up second hard

At that low resolution, you'll see little or no difference between a 4890 and a 5770, so I would get the 5770 to have DX11 when it becomes relevant. You'll be CPU-bound, so overclocking the video card will be irrelevant.

Juniper is the chip. XT stands for the xx70 model. Its the Ati internal designation. The difference between those two cards is the cooling solution. Both are Juniper XT.

Another 8800 bites the dust. They're really dropping like flies. What's the problem with them? Where they made to just barely outlive the warranty?

Another 8800 bites the dust. They're really dropping like flies. What's the problem with them? Where they made to just barely outlive the warranty?

Most of the 8800 failures are more oriented towards the GTXes and Ultras rather than the GTSes though.

Also, keep in mind that the oldest of the G80s are around 3 years old now, it could be simple age at work.

Having said that, 3 years isn't a hugely long time in the grand scheme of video cards without taking into account updatedness, and you are right that there've been an awful lot of 8800s failing...

Would definitely go with the 4890 if you plan to game.

Most of the 8800 failures are more oriented towards the GTXes and Ultras rather than the GTSes though.

Also, keep in mind that the oldest of the G80s are around 3 years old now, it could be simple age at work.

Having said that, 3 years isn't a hugely long time in the grand scheme of video cards without taking into account updatedness, and you are right that there've been an awful lot of 8800s failing...

Thanks, I had not thought about that. Agreed, 3 years is pretty old "updatenesswise" but it's fairly young for a failing electronics component..

Bright side is that the 8800 failures given a large group of youngsters better understanding of the kitchen oven :)'

Enough OT.

evga should replace that card. And you might just get something back even better. 9800gt?

Very happy with the 5770 hook up to the 32" Samsung, I game at 1920x1080 and so far its great, it fits your budget and resolution needs perfectly, you could go for the 5750, but for around $30 more bucks I would take the 5770, you'll be hard press to find a better solution for that price..

im sort of in the same position with my 8800gt, but realized that going from 17" resolutions to 23" resoultions i cant game at low rez anymore.

i was going to get the 4890, which was on sale at zipzoomfly for $160, unfortunately they are out of stock right now. so i will probably wait until another 4890 hits that price or lower.

wow another failing 8800 card, what is up with the 8800's? i was over on anandtech and i saw a bunch over there failing too.

I think the 4890 has higher power draw than the 8800GTS, but your power supply should still be able to handle it with room to spare.

Nonetheless the 5770 will be more than enough at your resolution. I think it's a wiser choice as the 5-series has been getting better with driver releases relative to the 4-series. Overclocked by as little as 50MHz on the core (which almost every 5770 seems to do just fine), it falls between the 4870 and 4890 in performance: more than enough for your needs.

I took the barcode sticker off the card as soon as I installed it to increase cooling. I now know it's a warranty sticker =/. Lesson learned.

Yeah I'm sorta pissed the card failed, even if there was an equal Nvidia solution I'd go with ATI this time.

As for people recommending the 4890 it's out of my budget.

Last edited:
The only way I can recommend you buying a 4890 these days is if you can find one for sub $100. The 5770 will fit your needs wonderfully. The 4890 does offer greater benchmark scores, but as [H] has shown, the actual gameplay remains the same. If you play any older games, the 5770 offers SuperSampling AA which can give a very noticeable image quality improvement over MSAA.

That Corsair HX520w will easily handle any of the cards suggested here. Even if he does overclock. Power wise he's fine. :)

My 8800GTX I bought for 700$ failed 8 months into operation. I stupidly did not keep the reciept,

It angers me that so many other people have had their card fail on them, it's unacceptable for such an expensive device.

maybe you can bake it? Arent these the cards that have the solder issue? Look around for some threads on them.

Back