Need new CPU

aggpirate

Limp Gawd
Well my 3200 just bit the dust and I have a $500 limit what is the best bang for the buck?

Overclocking? Probably the Opteron 165/170, depending on if you need the 10x multiplier.

I am going to be over clocking, I am selling my gl2 for 1300 and I want to get that new li lian case and a new moniter and so on so i guess that leaves around $500 :D

Also I am just going to be running PS and CS:S

if you're running photoshop, get a dual core no matter what.

Well, again, it depends what you want. If you want the most bang/buck stock, that's probably a 3700+ for single core (not alot of multi tasking, only gaming) or an X2 3800+ for dual cores (multi tasking, multi media stuff, gaming). If you want the most bang for the buck in overclocking, then it's either the Opteron 144 or Opteron 165.

I dont know what overclocking potentials are, as I dont overclock, but remove the last one you have listed, as its not worth a mere $8 or whatever to miss out on a 3 year warranty from AMD. Buy retail/boxed product.

The Opteron 175 and the X2 4400+ are the same thing, performance wise @ stock. Overclocking, they should both do about the same and the X2 is cheaper, as you can see. :) But alot of people swear by Opterons, so that's your call.

Opty 150. Forget about all this dual core BS. Just built my friend a computer today. Still breaking it in with prime but as of right now.. 8 Hours straight at 3.3Ghz{275 X 12}

Tutelary said:
I dont know what overclocking potentials are, as I dont overclock, but remove the last one you have listed, as its not worth a mere $8 or whatever to miss out on a 3 year warranty from AMD. Buy retail/boxed product.

Since he does overclock that means the warrenty is voided anyways.

Psycho said:
Opty 150. Forget about all this dual core BS. Just built my friend a computer today. Still breaking it in with prime but as of right now.. 8 Hours straight at 3.3Ghz{275 X 12}

yea dont waste your hard earned money on that new fangled crap.

Psycho said:
have you even touched a dual core processor? they are lightning fast in XP, and even faster in multi-threaded apps like Photoshop.

Psycho said:

dual core "BS" is the call of someone who doesnt understand or has not used a dual core or dual processor system.

sobe said:
Since he does overclock that means the warrenty is voided anyways.

And AMD will know this how? Are they going to put wonder woman's lasso around his RMA request and get the truth?

Psycho said:

Arent you the guy from the other thread on this very board that "just figured out why his 165 was so slow" and it turned out you were running a single core? lol. Sorry, but your advice might be a bit invalid :D

edit: ah, yes here we go:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1038713

Tutelary said:
Retail/boxed is useless if you are overclocking because overclocking instantly voids any and all warranties express or implied.
I posted AMD's warranty here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1033729. Scroll down until you find it. This will explain it. The short of it is when oc'ing the failure is usually for one or two reasons: overvolting and overheating. Fry your chip and they won't honor the warranty - simple as that.

The retail dual cores come with a decent heatsink so it might be worth a few dollars extra for that. I'd go for an Opteron 165 or a 144.

BigMacAttack said:
Retail/boxed is useless if you are overclocking because overclocking instantly voids any and all warranties express or implied.
I posted AMD's warranty here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1033729. Scroll down until you find it. This will explain it. The short of it is when oc'ing the failure is usually for one or two reasons: overvolting and overheating. Fry your chip and they won't honor the warranty - simple as that.

thats common sense, but if you have a failure after several years where you havent "fried" the thing you are going to be able to RMA it, slight moral issues aside :p
We are talking a difference of less than $10 and you get a fan to boot. Hello?

Tutelary said:
thats common sense, but if you have a failure after several years where you havent "fried" the thing you are going to be able to RMA it, slight moral issues aside :p
We are talking a difference of less than $10 and you get a fan to boot. Hello?
Im water cooling so no need for a fan it would make a good paper weight :D

aggpirate said:
Im water cooling so no need for a fan it would make a good paper weight :D

I still dont see throwing out a 3 year warranty for $8, but oh well.

Boxed processors with the fan included and 3 yr. warranty are great if you aren't going to oc. But to validate the warranty you have to use the AMD supplied fan and approved hsf paste. They are very clear when it comes to overclocking - a heat related failure will invalidate your warranty. You can't claim their fan failed without producing said fan in evidence. Use an aftermarket fan - void the warranty. Use an aftermarket hsf paste - void the warranty. Overvolt the cpu - void the warranty. Overheat the cpu to failure - void the warranty.
If you are going to overclock it makes no sense at all to buy a boxed cpu. I bought my skt 754 3400+ Clawhammer and skt 754 3000+ Venice as boxed cpu's. I oc both so the warranty is voided. I've even told AMD that I oc both of them in conversations with their tech people. They said "it voids the warranty" and I said "I know and I take responsibility for that." No big deal. I bought my skt 754 3700+ Clawhammer off ebay as an OEM cpu and I oc it - have for the last 1.25 yrs. I have had zero problems with it and saved over $50 off retail by going OEM. If I could have bought the 3400+ and 3000+ OEM I certainly would have. Now, if it comes to me DOA the retailer will replace it, otherwise if I oc, well, the "you broke it, you bought it" rule applies.

AMD has really tightened up on "OEM" processors anyway. Newegg used to sell a lot of them and so did other suppliers but the availability of OEM cpu's has dried up since AMD wants all retailers to sell boxed cpu's. If you want to try to RMA it if you ruin it that's your choice. Just don't expect AMD to send you a new one with no questions asked.

BigMacAttack said:
Boxed processors with the fan included and 3 yr. warranty are great if you aren't going to oc. But to validate the warranty you have to use the AMD supplied fan and approved hsf paste. They are very clear when it comes to overclocking - a heat related failure will invalidate your warranty. You can't claim their fan failed without producing said fan in evidence. Use an aftermarket fan - void the warranty. Use an aftermarket hsf paste - void the warranty. Overvolt the cpu - void the warranty. Overheat the cpu to failure - void the warranty.
If you are going to overclock it makes no sense at all to buy a boxed cpu. I bought my skt 754 3400+ Clawhammer and skt 754 3000+ Venice as boxed cpu's. I oc both so the warranty is voided. I've even told AMD that I oc both of them in conversations with their tech people. They said "it voids the warranty" and I said "I know and I take responsibility for that." No big deal. I bought my skt 754 3700+ Clawhammer off ebay as an OEM cpu and I oc it - have for the last 1.25 yrs. I have had zero problems with it and saved over $50 off retail by going OEM. If I could have bought the 3400+ and 3000+ OEM I certainly would have. Now, if it comes to me DOA the retailer will replace it, otherwise if I oc, well, the "you broke it, you bought it" rule applies.

AMD has really tightened up on "OEM" processors anyway. Newegg used to sell a lot of them and so did other suppliers but the availability of OEM cpu's has dried up since AMD wants all retailers to sell boxed cpu's. If you want to try to RMA it if you ruin it that's your choice. Just don't expect AMD to send you a new one with no questions asked.

I more than understand the concept of a voided warranty, but truth be told theres no magical way amd would know you took of their fan and used a 3rd party fan unless you were so stupid you threw away their fan in the process.

Tutelary said:
I more than understand the concept of a voided warranty, but truth be told theres no magical way amd would know you took of their fan and used a 3rd party fan unless you were so stupid you threw away their fan in the process.
I don't thinbk you do.
a heat related failure will invalidate your warranty
The only way this will happen on a stock boxed cpu is if the fan dies. You'll have to produce said fan as evidence. If it isn't bad you've got no claim. Let it go already. If you want to kill your cpu - fine, go ahead - but like I said, don't expect AMD to give you a new one with no questions asked. If you like to gamble, lie, cheat and steal that's your business.

BigMacAttack said:
I don't thinbk you do.

The only way this will happen on a stock boxed cpu is if the fan dies. You'll have to produce said fan as evidence. If it isn't bad you've got no claim. Let it go already. If you want to kill your cpu - fine, go ahead - but like I said, don't expect AMD to give you a new one with no questions asked. If you like to gamble, lie, cheat and steal that's your business.

actually yes, I do quite well understand them. If you buy boxed product and then proceed to throw out your warranty info/fan you are a complete idiot anyway. If it comes down to my fan being bad, I can easily accomplish that :D

You might not like it, and bluntly I dont care, champ :D

I dont overclock anyway, so your holier than thou routine is lost on me.

My only beef with those who break stuff and then try to recoup their loss when they are responsible is that all it does is drive prices up for everyone else.
My own personal belief is that I'm responsible if I break it doing something that is not warranted. I'm not going to cry about it and I'm not going to be decepetive about it. I take responsibility for what I do. If that's holier than thou to you then so be it. "If you can't do the time don't do the crime" is my motto. I'm fully willing and able to replace my broken parts. Its just plain a matter of personal responsibility. Some may not like to hear that but, like you, that's not important to me. Do what you must do, but be ready to account for it and don't try to screw over the system and cost the rest of us more in the long run.

BigMacAttack said:
My only beef with those who break stuff and then try to recoup their loss when they are responsible is that all it does is drive prices up for everyone else.
My own personal belief is that I'm responsible if I break it doing something that is not warranted. I'm not going to cry about it and I'm not going to be decepetive about it. I take responsibility for what I do. If that's holier than thou to you then so be it. "If you can't do the time don't do the crime" is my motto. I'm fully willing and able to replace my broken parts. Its just plain a matter of personal responsibility. Some may not like to hear that but, like you, that's not important to me. Do what you must do, but be ready to account for it and don't try to screw over the system and cost the rest of us more in the long run.

yeah, people wouldnt want to drive up the cost of your piddly venice 3000, right?

how the hell is this thread turning into a flame war.... just stfu about the warranty. and technically speaking, even if you don't oc, the instant you put an opteron into a non-server motherboard, its warranty is voided. but then, how can they tell? it doesnt matter, its up to you if you want to get a free cpu out of them or if you want to just take the hit cuz it was ur fault.

for the early post saying the best bang for bucks are the 3700+, x2 3800+, and opty 165, is there any specific reason why the opty 146 isn't included w/ the 3700+ for single core?

Back