Need new CPU/MB/Mem

brooks

n00b
What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming and Photoshop
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$700 including tax and shipping
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Houston TX. I prefer Newegg or Amazon.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, Motherboard and memory. Need CPU recommendation but most likely going for latest Intel LGA 1155. I like the i7-2600K. Why not the 2700K? Motherboard - Looking for USB3 and PCIE-gen3. Memory -need help.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have everything. I have SSD, 700W Power Supply, case, GTX 460, ect.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
23" Monitor
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
next 2 weeks during my Xmas break
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
All I need is USB3 and Sata 6GBs. I dont SLi.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT

For just gaming/photoshop, you won't need the i7-2600k. The i5-2500k has no noticeable gaming performance when compared to the i7, but is much cheaper. If you want PCIE 3.0, I suggest the ASUS P8Z68V-Gen 3.

Memory, since you are using sandy bridge, any DDR3 1333 or above will do, keep an eye on newegg for sales. Typically you can find deals for 2x4GB of 1600 ram from Gskill or corsair for $30-$35, nag two kits of those for 16GB(4x4GB) of ram.

What 700W PSU do you have?
What case do you have?

The 2700K isn't worth it over the 2600K at all especially since you're overclocking. Which means any clock speed increase the 2700K has over the 2600K is negated once you start overclocking.

Thx for the input. I think Im going to go with the i5-2500k.

I dont know the PSU brand off hand but it is a good one :D

The case is a Lian Li PC-A05.

Last edited:
I dont know the PSU brand off hand but it is a good one :D
Better look it up. No offense, but we get many people here every week in this subforum alone who thinks their PSU is good when it's really not.

Also note that you won't get PCI-E 3.0 capability at all until you upgrade the CPU to an Ivy Bridge CPU. So for all intents and purposes, you only have PCI-E 2.0 with that motherboard.

The $80 for ram is actually before the promo, so after promo code it's $72. Just make sure to get it before xmas, which is when it expires.

I'd recommend replacing that PSU then as it was barely capable of 500W within ATX specifications back in 2006. So imagine its capability after a year or more so of use. So I recommend this PSU as a replacement:
$69 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU

I dont see the point when I am pulling less than 400W.

Actually, you should be worried: That 400W your planned build draws is way too close to the actual maximum practical power handling capacity of your current "700W" PSU after accounting for capacitor deterioration within the PSU itself. And since you have already used that PSU for a few years, it's highly likely that the PSU will kill some or all of the new components in your rebuilt system after just a few months down to even a few minutes of operation because the DC output would become way out of spec at even 300W -- in other words, some or all of your components could be completely killed off even if the PSU itself doesn't die out or explode. Such a bad thing can (and does) occur.

Back