Need input on this mATX build

prne10

Limp Gawd
Micro-ATX Build 2014-2015

Hey everyone. I'm considering building a new box pretty soon as my mid-2010 imac is getting too laggy to play games on even with settings on low. Obviously this is largely due to running @ 2560x1440, so I'm going to be going all out with a new build as I am using my 27" imac display as a monitor.

Here is my basic info on what I'm doing:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Multitasking gaming + browsing + coding

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Trying to keep it under $2000.00 inclusive of tax and shipping.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

U.S.A. -> Central Illinois Area

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need a full build, but see below for what I have researched thus far. I am open to suggestions on alternative parts.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
N/A

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yep. I'm looking to overclock an i5-4670k. I am hoping to get a good amount out of it.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
27" iMac @ 2560x1440

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I assume SATA 6Gb/s is standard now. Other than that I don't need much except for having decent onboard audio.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No. I am going to buy Windows 8.1

Here is what I currently have researched. Keep in mind I am going with a micro ATX case here so I need to be weary of space constraints. I think I should fit all of this in no problem

The Build:

Case: BitFenix Phenom M

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97MX

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz

CPU COOLER: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid

GPU: EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866

SSD #1: Crucial M500 CT240M500SSD1 2.5" 240GB
SSD #2: Crucial M500 CT480M500SSD1 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) 2.5" 480GB

O/S: Windows 8.1 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit
PSU: 1st Choice) SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W 2nd Choice) CORSAIR CXM series CX600M
230MM Fan: BitFenix Spectre All Black 230mm Case Fan

Wi-Fi Card: ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter

Photo of Empty Case:
2RhbAe0.jpg

Photo of Heat Flow:

uAmOzwJ.png

Notice space at top for 2x 120MM fans

Example layouts:
ra4qD4S.jpg
OwOyklD.jpg

:) Your thoughts and input are appreciated! :)

Current Suggestions:

1. Dangman - SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W over CORSAIR CXM series CX600M

Last edited:
I'm approaching this as someone who does a lot of development, but a few thoughts-

1) You may want a bigger PSU, you've got a hungry CPU and GPU in there
2) If you're not dead-set on the case, have a look at the Cooler Master N200. Friends universally agree that it looks badass in person, the quality is surprisingly nice, and you can often get it for $30 on sale
3) You need more RAM. It'll be 2015 in less than 2 weeks. We've got flying cars, robot dogs- and memory-hungry applications. Step it up to 32gb if you're serious about development.
4) Displays. Again, if you're not dead-set on using the iMac- well, I'd sell it, and get 2x displays of similar resolution. All of the studies on the subject show that multitasking is much, much more efficient with multiple displays than with 1 big one. Personally, I find 2 displays confining at this point. For real productivity as a developer, I'd rather have 4x 1080p displays than 1x 1440p, and that's the route that I took. Your iMac will always be worth selling, and the economics of keeping a whole, fully-functional computer and using it as a monitor are a little questionable, even if it's old.

Also, have a look at the Samsung 850 series SSD, the performance is excellent. If that's too rich for your blood, there are also some great deals floating around on Intel 730's.

I'm approaching this as someone who does a lot of development, but a few thoughts-

1) You may want a bigger PSU, you've got a hungry CPU and GPU in there
2) If you're not dead-set on the case, have a look at the Cooler Master N200. Friends universally agree that it looks badass in person, the quality is surprisingly nice, and you can often get it for $30 on sale
3) You need more RAM. It'll be 2015 in less than 2 weeks. We've got flying cars, robot dogs- and memory-hungry applications. Step it up to 32gb if you're serious about development.
4) Displays. Again, if you're not dead-set on using the iMac- well, I'd sell it, and get 2x displays of similar resolution. All of the studies on the subject show that multitasking is much, much more efficient with multiple displays than with 1 big one. Personally, I find 2 displays confining at this point. For real productivity as a developer, I'd rather have 4x 1080p displays than 1x 1440p, and that's the route that I took. Your iMac will always be worth selling, and the economics of keeping a whole, fully-functional computer and using it as a monitor are a little questionable, even if it's old.

Ah, I code for fun at home. I do use 2x displays at work though (I'm an attorney).

I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to figuring out power supply needs. I have seen a lot of opinions, but can't figure out who is right. Are there any really good guides or explanations about this that you'd recommend reading?

Ah, I code for fun at home. I do use 2x displays at work though (I'm an attorney).

I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to figuring out power supply needs. I have seen a lot of opinions, but can't figure out who is right. Are there any really good guides or explanations about this that you'd recommend reading?

A quick search for your CPU and GPU reveal TDP of 88w and 165w at stock clocks, respectively (and your GPU is factory overclocked and you'll be overlocking your CPU, so add maybe 10% to each). The rest, you'd have to estimate- SSDs are maybe 5-10w each, RAM is about 3w per DIMM, and your motherboard is likely 40-50w. Let's say another 30w for cooling. So, you're nominally in the neighborhood of 400w (rounding up a bit) at load. Power supplies aren't ever perfectly efficient, and you don't want to run them at a high load all the time- especially with overclocked components. So, it's not an exact science at this point, but if I were you I'd step up to a 750w. Corsair also has some good offerings in that range.

Yeah, I have heard that you don't want to run at near or full load, but do you have any good articles on the topic by chance?

You don't need a larger PSU: HardOCP's test setup with a 3770K OC'd to 4.6Ghz, one SSD, and a single overclocked GTX 980 card used 378W of power:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/12/01/msi_gtx_980_gaming_4g_video_card_review/9#.VJO6Nl4AA

So 600W is plenty of power. HOWEVER, I would argue that you need a better quality PSU instead. The CX600M is the kind of PSU you use for budget or low quality builds. Considering that you have the expensive GTX 980 n there, you should get a better quality PSU to increase your chances of no PSU failure. So I recommend this PSU instead:
$100 - Seasonic G Series SSR-650RM 650W Modular PSU

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm also curios if anyone has any comments on my choice of motherboard. I don't know if it is ideal for overclocking the i5 or not.

I'm also curios if anyone has any comments on my choice of motherboard. I don't know if it is ideal for overclocking the i5 or not.

It's not a bad choice.

Also, why the two SSD setup?

It's not a bad choice.

Also, why the two SSD setup?

1st SSD for OS / other general apps (chrome, itunes, etc), and the 2nd SSD for gaming. I'll probably snag a large 2TB HDD for media eventually.

1st SSD for OS / other general apps (chrome, itunes, etc), and the 2nd SSD for gaming. I'll probably snag a large 2TB HDD for media eventually.
But the 240GB is technically slower than the 480GB. Basically when it comes to SSDs, the larger in size you go, the better the performance.

But the 240GB is technically slower than the 480GB. Basically when it comes to SSDs, the larger in size you go, the better the performance.

Right, but I think it's more important to have the separate drives more than anything else. i think the speed differences are going to be negligible.

On another note, any thoughts on the ram selection?

Right, but I think it's more important to have the separate drives more than anything else. i think the speed differences are going to be negligible.
Fair enough.
On another note, any thoughts on the ram selection?
As long as it's still at its $120 price tag when you buy, it's a good choice. If it's more than $150, it's a waste.

Back