• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

need help with SFF NAS build/design

JoanTheSpark

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
154
I need some network storage for the 8+ computers and other gear at home.. so, same problem as last time, the market doesn't really cut it - unless you can point me somewhere? :)

My demands:
- being able to fit extended ITX like this AsRock MT-C224 (230mm)
- being able to use SFX PSU (even extended 125x125x63.5 mm)
- space for at least 6, better 8+ 3.5" drives
- good airflow for the hdd's
- LGA1150 based board (want Pentium for start and be able to upgrade to i3 or Xeon later)
- as small as possible

I would like to run with FreeNAS or NAS4Free, so 8GB ECC or more is needed.
Location is Australia, so sourcing of exotic components is pretty problematic.

So far I looked at u-nas NSC-800 and the Silverstone DS380.
The NSC-800 is too crampy for my taste and I don't like the 1U PSU with it's tiny fan.
The DS380 feels too jack-of-all trades and I have doubts about the hdd airflow, not to mention to get an extended mITX board into it one would have to modify the PSU position or type (some people install 1U units with brackets to get extended boards to fit).
Are there any other cases I missed besides the FractalDesign Define/Define Mini, which I don't want because of size?

I already checked 3x5.25"to5x3.5" adapter cages (for use/adaption) but have some troubles with them as well (besides the fact that I don't know a SFF mITX case with enough external 5.25" bays to fit them without wandering into the ATX-tower arena)..
  • pricetags are pretty hefty
  • space between disks pretty slim for airflow
  • hot swap not really needed by me
  • air filtering would need screened door
  • mostly tiny fans
On AliExpress I also found some cage adapter without hot swap ability, but the space between drives is less than 3.2 mm and I want at least 5mm.


So, anyone care to comment or share his/her thoughts please?

Following are two pics of how I would approach this layout wise. If there is nothing available for reasonable money I will have to roll my own (again :mad:)..



Thanks,
Joan
 
Last edited:
My recommendation is look at server cases.
As small as possible and 6-8+ 3.5" hdds are at odds with each other. That definitely takes you out of the mitx sized cases area. Maybe post in ssd/storage subforum?

Edit: this might work for you if 6 HDDs is enough. http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black
 
Last edited:
Sounds like the LianLi PC-Q26 would be right up your alley. It has a bit of wasted space compared to your design, but it supports 10 3.5" drives and even an ATX PSU.
 
My recommendation is look at server cases.
As small as possible and 6-8+ 3.5" hdds are at odds with each other. That definitely takes you out of the mitx sized cases area. Maybe post in ssd/storage subforum?

Edit: this might work for you if 6 HDDs is enough. http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black
Ah yes, I've seen that one. It's probably what I will go for if I buy - if it just wouldn't be so wasteful with the space.. see:



If only I had some cool idea how to get those HDDs mounted easily and vibration dampened.. the fractal design mount is nice, but wastes some airspace around the hdds for the sheetmetal holding them (thickness of material is lost). All I did come up with so far that is easily manufacturable isn't easily maintainable/swappable and vice versa :(

Sounds like the LianLi PC-Q26 would be right up your alley. It has a bit of wasted space compared to your design, but it supports 10 3.5" drives and even an ATX PSU.
That one doesn't seem to be available in Oz - is it brand new or discontinued? Can't find it on Static Ice, MyShopping or the usual suspects..
 
I went through this same search recently, trying several cases, and also using 5.25" bay drive racks. i posted some of my experiences in the ds380 thread.

Your diagrams are the ideal setup for smallest possible case with so many drives... I was about to build a case from scratch using the same layout (minus the expansion cards) but i gave up and just got the pc-q26.

If you do build your own, Akasa Cagstor racks fit 4 drives for a single 120mm fan and cooling is adequate even with the tiny gap between drives. That would take care of the fan and drive mounting... only drawback is adding and removing drives is a pain.

The U-NAS case is a similar layout and afaik the smallest case you can buy that holds 8 drives. its expensive though and requires a flex atx psu.

Didnt try the node 304 but it seems like a great choice except for the moment you want to add one more drive... :-P

If you do decide on the pc-q26 and cant find it for sale i'd shoot lian li an email, they got back to me quickly. it was/is hard to find but they should be able to help
 
I went with an iStarUSA S-915, fits 28 2.5" drives perfectly in the front half (custom mount) and has plenty of room for an ATX PSU and a full height HBA. :)
 
I went with an iStarUSA S-915, fits 28 2.5" drives perfectly in the front half (custom mount) and has plenty of room for an ATX PSU and a full height HBA. :)

At first I thought that thing couldn't possibly be SFF, but 18.12L is pretty small for a case that can fit that much storage.
 
Yeah, its probably the largest case I've owned in a while, but it is all due to the depth dimension (>400mm).
 
Back
Top