• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help with rig. hd or ps or mb issues?

andypnb

Gawd
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
964
Hey guys,

I am currently using an older system as a server in the house. Its a p4 with an intel mobo, an antec 350 ps and a western digital sata hard drive.

It works fine, but occasionally if I stress the hard drive too much it powers down and I get a no boot drive error for 10-15 minutes then it works fine.

I cant tell if its a power supply issue, a motherboard issue or a hard drive issue. It may be a loose power connection on the hard drive as i usually move the connector around for a bit and it comes right back on. It seems the angle of the connector is hitting the case and putting pressure on the connector a bit.

But also the power supply emits a slight high pitch noise when the hard drive is plugged in and it immediately goes away if I unplug the hard drive. Whether the drive is in the case or not.

The hard drive is relatively new to me as I got it a few months ago as an RMA swap and never used it until now. I remember it worked fine for a while, then is sat for a while but now its doing this. The power supply is several years old and so is the motherboard.

So what should I try. I think I have spares of all the items, but I would prefer to get some advice before I start to swap things around. Any ideas?
 
Test the hard drive in another system:
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

[Testing the PSU]
Buy and use a digital multi-meter to monitor the voltages coming from the PSU. Follow the instructions for "Using a multi-meter to check voltages":
http://www.bfgpower.com/troubleshooting.html#DMM

Or just try another PSU.
 
Back
Top