Need help with overclocking information

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all, I have a few questions about my CPU and memory.

First, I have a 3.2 E socket 478 P4. I'm getting an XP-90 to cool it and I want to overclock it. I have 1GB of PDP RAM. It runs at 2-3-2-5 T1 with default voltage of 2.6v. It's at 200mhz right now, everything is stock. This is the same memory in the PC4000 kits, I think, just binned lower. I have plenty of airflow, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

I have D0 stepping, and I was wondering what to expect out of it. I think my RAM should easily do 250 mhz if I relax the timing a little, but I was wondering if anyone has this memory and knows if it's TCCD or TCCC chips. I think only the XBL from Patriot has TCCD, but I was just curious if perhaps I got it too.

EDIT: I have previous overclocking experience with this same motherboard, so I'm not worried about frying anything, and I know about incremental increase of FSB and stress testing along the way. I don't know if this mobo will take the O/C very well or not, but it got a 2.53ghz up to 3.05 ghz pretty easily, but that was a 533 chip and this is an 800.

If this motherboard (P4S800-D) won't handle it, what motherboard would you recommend that is Socket 478, DDR, AGP 8x and has good overclocking chipset and options in the BIOS? Thanks in advance for your input!

Up to the top. I'd like to know a little bit more about my chip and RAM if possible! I know some of you gurus out there are just oozing with information. Thanks in advance!

Never actually heard of PDP RAM myself but you could try looking on the tccd list but I doubt it is on there. Relaxing the timings and setting the ram should get you to 2t and you may be able to get to 3.8+ if you put it under water, on air I'm thinking 3.7ish but I havent had much experience with EE chips myself.

PDP = Patriot

And this is an E processor, in other words a Prescott, not an EE (Extreme Edition).

I just need to know which stepping is best for O/Cing, D0 or what and if my RAM might be TCCD. Thanks for the RAM link, I was right in my suspicions that only the XBL ram from Patriot is TCCD. I'm probably going to take my heatspreaders off and check the chips anyway. Can I get them back on easily if I just pop them off real quick? Would I only have to do 1, since it IS a matched pair, and logically they would use the same chips, or do you think I should just get rid of them for good?

Back