• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help with microphone for podcast

pojut

Gawd
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
541
So, my wife and I run a website, and we've decided to add a podcast to the various things that we do. The problem: the only microphone we currently own is pretty suck. I'm looking for a decent microphone that we could use for a podcast (and occasional communication over Vent.)

Can you all provide suggestions for good-quality microphones that can be had for $50 or under? I'd be willing to go slightly over budget if it's worth it, but I would really really prefer to keep it under $50. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Sorry oldie! I'll keep that in mind for the future.
 
Last edited:
I was just looking around amazon and came across the samsung C01U being sold for 53$ (normally about 99$) It connects using a USB interface, and has a built in soundcard. They are good quality.

HERE

The page says "99" but if you go to "13 new from 53$" and scroll down it's there.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Your best bet is probably one of the inexpensive side-address condenser mics with a built in USB A/D converter, like the one DeathPrincess posted. Can't comment on how a mic that will perform in Vent.

Will you and your wife be speaking simultaneously on your podcasts? If so, you would ideally have two mics, which might mean moving away from the USB mics into standard mics, which will require a soundcard with mic preamps.

You'll definitely want to buy (or build) a pop filter to control plosives (wind bursts from P and B sounds):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_filter

Keep in mind, that the acoustics in most domestic/office spaces are less than ideal for recording. This product helps control the amount of reflected sound that enters the back and sides of the microphone:

http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html

They aren't exactly cheap, but they are effective. However, a simple DIY solution is to hang a duvet to create a semi-circle, with you and the mic in the middle. With any half-decent mic, the biggest improvement will be had by figuring out how to control the sound that you DON'T want entering the mic (room reflections, noise).
 
Thanks for the tips!

I know that this guy from Logitech is made for gamers, Skype, etc...but how well would it work as a podcast mic? Is the voice quality high enough for something like that, or should I buy a "real" USB mic? I was also considering this one, as it is pretty inexpensive and has decent reviews.

Please keep in mind that this will be done on a hobby, "for fun" level...
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top