• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need help with E6400 + P35-DS3L

rbinc

n00b
Joined
May 17, 2008
Messages
4
I have my system right now at 400 x 8 = 3200 MHz. RAM is set at 1:1 synchronous mode. All timings are set to auto. I think I've hit a bit of a wall, as I can't increase my FSB any higher. I've tried to get stability at 405 FSB with no luck. I've tried setting both the VNB and VFSB at +0.3V to no avail. At 405 FSB, the RAM runs fine in memtest+ for 8+ hours, but fails Prime95 with Small FFTs within 2 hours. I haven't tried increasing the Vcore any further as I've been advised not to on other forums. My voltage settings are as follows.

Voltage settings:

RAM: Stock (1.8V)
FSB: +0.1V
NB: Stock
PCIE: Stock
CPU: 1.45000V (Stock is 1.32500V)

My temperatures seem fine. I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with Arctic Silver 5. Plenty of airflow in the case even with a single 120mm Fan on my Sonata II. Here are my load and idle temps.

Voltages/Temps:

IDLE: 37°C 1.392V
LOAD: 53°C 1.376V
MOBO: 40°C

I have no idea why I'm hitting a wall at 400 FSB. While I am happy that I've been able to get > 50% overclock with the E6400, I'd still like to try and get further if possible. Is there anything else I can do other than increasing the Vcore further? And, is setting the Vcore higher (possibly 1.47500V or 1.50000V) going to be dangerous, with the Vdrop and Vdroop values?

My System:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz 2MB
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 F8f BIOS
4x1GB Patriot Signature Line DDR2-800 5-5-5-16-2T

Btw thanks for looking :)
 
1.45v on the cpu just for 3.2GHz :eek: 1.3750 works just fine for me and my E6400.

Try to just use 2x1GB ram, harder on the northbridge with 4 sticks of ram.

Check out this thread and see what other setups people are having with your chip.
 
I have the same set-up, but I did not increase the FSB voltage.

My CPU voltage is 1.3750 at 3.2ghz.
 
What's your bios version? A lot of folk hit an fsb wall on the F7 bios the DS3L ships with and fixed the problem by flashing the latest f8 beta bios.
 
Thx for the replies.

The reason I have my vcore at 1.45 is that I couldn't pass prime95 with 1.4 at 400 fsb. So I incremented 0.05 instead of doing smaller steps. So I might be able to lower it to somewhere between 1.4 - 1.45, but it wouldn't do much.

I'm not sure why I need the extra voltage. Maybe PSU? Maybe my not-so-oc-friendly RAM? But I think the only choice for me to go > 400 fsb is to up the vcore.

Btw, my bios is F8f.
 
I'm not sure why I need the extra voltage. Maybe PSU? Maybe my not-so-oc-friendly RAM? But I think the only choice for me to go > 400 fsb is to up the vcore.
Nah probably due to the E6400 itself. With overclocking, YMMV. My E6400 only requires 1.328V to hit 3.2Ghz with a 400FSB. So the amount of vCore varies.

Though you are getting better temps than I am with the AC7Pro and E6400. I get about 58C under load.

Oh keep the vCore at or under 1.5V. Any higher than that and you risk frying your CPU. Up the PCI-E to 102 and the NB to +0.1V. Also, stick a small fan on the northbridge/MCH to cool it down.
 
Up the PCI-E to 102
Is that safe, even 2 MHz? Is there any chance it could damage my 8800GT?

northbridge/MCH to cool it down.
Any suggestions for a particular model? And is it really necessary since the mobo temp isn't really that high?
 
Why up the PCIe at all? I've heard people run it higher no problem, but it isn't going to give you any performance increase...
 
Upping the PCI-E might add a bit more stability. At least that's what I'm guessing from this Gigabyte motherboard overclocking thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

The fan isn't too neccessary but it does help eliminate a potential cause or limitation of your OC. No recommendations for any small fan. Just about any small fan around 40mm, even 50mm even, would work.
 
Back
Top