• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help with dual socket server build!

Suxen

n00b
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
59
Hello,

Firstly, I would like to thank you beforehand for helping me. I'm currently looking to build a server that will host a gaming community of 16 servers hosting source engine games (CSS, L4D, TF2). I live in the USA.


My budget is around $1400. Cheaper, better!

Here is what I've put together so far:

2 x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117186

4 x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139041

1 x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152112

1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151193

1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136294

total: $1445.91

I am not worried about an OS, and I will not be reusing anything. This will be colocated to a data center nearby. I need a heatsink, does anyone have a recommendation?

I believe I posted all of the required information, if not please let me know.Thanks all!
 
Well besides the fact that the Tyan SSI CEB form factor mobo will NOT fit inside that Supermicro ATX 1U case, Tyan isn't well recommended around these parts AFAIK. Something about lower quality or piss poor customer support. Probably both now that I think about it.

Also, for a dual Intel quad-core socket LGA 1366 setup, a 1U case is not recommended at all. The minimum you need is a 2U case, though 3U and 4U are more recommended. Can you co-locate a 2U to 4U case at your data center?

Motherboard wise, stick to Supermicro since uptime and reliability is gonna be the key thing here for a gaming server.
 
Danny, thanks for catching that.

I see there are barebones by supermicro that support dual 1366 socket quads in a 1u format. Personally, I would prefer a 1u format, but is it highly advised against?

Thanks for the help.
 
Danny, thanks for catching that.

I see there are barebones by supermicro that support dual 1366 socket quads in a 1u format. Personally, I would prefer a 1u format, but is it highly advised against?

Thanks for the help.

Not highly advised against I think. What barebones were you looking at?
 
Between the two, go for the Supermicro.

Any other suggestions? I'm not exactly limited to these two but 1U is HIGHLY preferred. The Tyan offers 8 mem slots compared to Supermicro's 6 and 2 years more warranty on parts.

However you say supermicro is more reliable than Tyan so maybe I won't need the extra parts warranty.

If you have any other suggestions that will be great to hear. Thanks for the help.
 
I was under the impression from reading similar threads about game servers that they don't actually require that much horsepower. Just a decent network connection and enough RAM. Am I wrong, people?
My point is that you should consider whether you actually need a dual Nehalem system to run 16 game servers. Perhaps it could all be done with a single quad or octo-core, which would make things cheaper and easier cooling-wise to get in to a 1U.
 
I was under the impression from reading similar threads about game servers that they don't actually require that much horsepower. Just a decent network connection and enough RAM. Am I wrong, people?
For 1-2 games, you're not wrong. But for 16 games, might need something a little beefier than normal.

Any way, OP, you can save about $80 if you go this route:
$300 - Supermicro MBD-X8DTL-iF-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 ATX Dual Intel Xeon 5500 and 5600 Series Server Motherboard
$270 - Supermicro CSE-813MTQ-520CB Black 1U Rackmount Server Case w/ 520W Power Supply
----
Total: $580 plus tax and shipping

Roughly the same specs as the barebones you chose but $80 cheaper and with a larger PSU. Yes that case and mobo are compatible with each as stated on that motherboard's webpage.
 
great, thanks for the suggestions. I'm still open to people's opinions.

And yes, for 16 (min) you do need quite a beefy system.
 
Back
Top