Need Help with dead 390x

MTDEW

Weaksauce
1: I purchased a Sapphire 390x new from Newegg, card was never overclocked and never used to mine, gaming only and i used a custom fan profile to never let it go above 70c.

2: One day while gaming, my screen went black and GPU never powered on again, no fan spin, nothing, totally dead.

3: So I RMAd the GPU and Sapphire sent me a replacement.

4: Now exactly 6months later the same thing just happened to the replacement GPU, gaming at 70c , no mining ever, never overclocked -black screen, totally dead.

5: Sapphire says the replacement gpu is not eligible for RMA.

6: Im using a 7700k, asus Z170-a and EVGA Supernova G2 1000w(all less than a yr old)

7: And yes, ive tried it in another machine, i still have my old 2600k rig.

8: Both my brothers R9 290 and my backup 7950 run fine in my 7700k rig, but gaming on a 7950 nowadays sucks! LOL

10: This is so odd, in my over 25yrs of gaming i've never had anything like this happen.

My absolute zero electronics abilities start and stop at inspecting the card under a magnifying glass and i see no burnt/bulging/leaking capacitors or obvious sign whats wrong with the card.

Can anyone who knows more about these things give any advice on how to find out what is wrong with the card and maybe get it fixed?

Sounds like VRM/power circuitry failure on the card to me. It's instant, and total. One second the card is working, the next second it's dead. Contrast this with memory and GPU failures which generally cause artifacting and other problems before completely (or never) going dead.
Given that it's happened to you in the same way twice leads me to believe there might be a flaw in the design of the board such as not enough cooling to the VRM(s) or too much current draw through them leading to (total) failure over time. How long did your first card last before it died? Case got good airflow?

If you want a last bang out of it, send it to Kyle and maybe he will use his .50 bmg on it.

I only buy XFX or EVGA. I just had to RMA a EVGA 1080ti hybrid because the pump went out. It was a little weird at how smooth and fast it went.

Sounds like VRM/power circuitry failure on the card to me. It's instant, and total. One second the card is working, the next second it's dead. Contrast this with memory and GPU failures which generally cause artifacting and other problems before completely (or never) going dead.
Given that it's happened to you in the same way twice leads me to believe there might be a flaw in the design of the board such as not enough cooling to the VRM(s) or too much current draw through them leading to (total) failure over time. How long did your first card last before it died? Case got good airflow?
First card lasted a year.
My case is a Coolermaster HAF X, PLENTY of airflow, especially for the GPU with the huge side intake fan blowing onto the GPU.
Link to Haf-x on newegg. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

Seriously, both GPUs were never run above 70c, I keep the afterburner/rivatuner OSD onscreen while gaming and constantly monitor my temps.
And the last time i used GPUz to check VRM temps under Heaven benchmark load, they maxed at 75c, which is REALLY good!
I have no clue what happened to these two GPUs, they have never been abused in the slightest.
This sucks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Azrak
like this
Yeah, that sucks. Especially to have to happen twice in 1.5 years. That's why I was thinking it could be a flaw in the design of the card. I wonder if other people have had the same model of card die on them in a similar way.
The only other thing that could cause it that I can think of is the PSU, but I can't believe it could kill video cards but nothing else. It's a stretch to think that the PSU is the cause.
I just saw the Gamers Nexus revisit video on the HAF X - Steve really liked it back when it first came out and he still likes it today, a lot. So it isn't an airflow problem for sure.

A flaky PSU can certainly contribute to GPU failure.
Believe me i have considered that.
I have even considered swapping the EVGA PSU with the Corsair HX 850w in my 2600k rig cuz i cannot afford to lose another GPU.
But the EVGA Supernova G2 1000w is a highly rated PSU. (thats why i grabbed it when there was a great deal on one even though 1000w is overkill for my setup)

There's a member in the AMD processor forum who lost two highly rated Seasonic high power PSUs in the same system so it's not unheard of for a highly rated PSU to be flaky (unfiltered dirty power can fry the best of them).

There's a member in the AMD processor forum who lost two highly rated Seasonic high power PSUs in the same system so it's not unheard of for a highly rated PSU to be flaky (unfiltered dirty power can fry the best of them).
You're killing me here. LOL
I told the wife the other day i should swap the PSUs just to be sure, but its going to be a lot of work so i decided not to. (thats what you get when you take the time to do proper wire management, it takes forever to undo it!)
I'm sitting here looking at both PCs now, thinking if i get started it should only take an hr or so.....i'm doing it...man this sucks!

PSU swap done, well half of it anyway, my 2600k rig can wait a bit...LOL

Ok, if anyone has a 390x (or equivalent GPU) you are willing to trade for a BNIB/Unopened Ryzen 1800x, let me know.

I don't have a high enough post count on these forums to post in FS/Trade.

But i do have a post over on the anandtech FS/Trade forums with pics of the Ryzen 1800x.
I'm MTDEW on anandtech forums and MTDEW is my heatware id also.

Sorry if it's inappropriate to post that here, but I need a GPU!

Back