• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help with a video card replacement

chango123

n00b
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
9
Hello.

I have an emachines tower model ET1331g-05w with all standard stuff including the original 300 w power supply. I am using an Nvidia GT 220 graphics card. For the most part this does every thing I need it to do for now. I"m using windows 7 home edition 64 bit.

I recently had to replace some RAM and now while playing games after about 20 minutes the screen flashes black a few times I get Kernal errors, crashes to desktop, or gives me a blue screen.

After some research I found this is a conflict with the card and windows I've seen several fixes, but, nothing that I really want to try. (changing fan speeds, changing memory HZ)

I Also use my Toshiba Television as the monitor for the pc. My question to you is, Can you suggest a graphics card that will perform the way mine did before the conflict started that will work with my current set up?

I'm looking to spend as little as possible (under $75 if I can) and would like to get a card without needing to update my system.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
 
What kind of processor is your machine running?
at $75 I can think of the 6000 series AMD cards and maybe a couple low tier 500s, but they depend on your processor since I assume that would be your bottleneck
 
You'll be fine with the cheap HD 6450 if the GT 220's performance was just fine for you.
 
Thanks for the replies, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I Took a look at the Raedon 6450 and I compared it with the GT220. The website I used to compare it is here I Don't know a lot about graphics cards or the specs, but, that site makes the 6450 look like a little bit of a down grade. Is there anything closer to the GT 220 or just over the performance within my price range?

If possible I'd like to avoid nvidia cards because of all the windows 7 issues I've read about with the drivers. I have two machines with the same card and they both have the same issue. The Raedon you suggested is great for the price and that website said the performances are theoretical. I Do play Lineage II and other games so I want to stretch the performance within my budget, but, I'm not sure what to make of the website. So if there isn't much of a difference I'll stick with the 6450.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
 
Just took apart my pc so I could check the fan on the GPU and cleaned away some dust. I noticed the PSU was not the 250 Watt that came with it. I Have a 400 W PSU and 6 Gigs of Ram. Not sure if this opens up any options for me, but, I wanted to give you that information as well.

Thanks.
 
Not really: It's a PSU that came with an eMachines, It's going to be crap no matter how large it is.

Oh and the HD 6570 is a nice step-up over the HD 6450.
 
If your current system is running An A2, 6gb of Ram I think its safe to say your maxing out the potential of that system.

Get the 6450 and save up for a new system in the future
 
Thanks for all the help. I Believe I will go with the 6450 this is an older machine and for the price I can't pass it up.

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top