Need Help with 4tb external drive not working

GMaxx

Limp Gawd
Hello, I'm in desperate need of some help. I've got some data backed up to a 4tb external hard drive that is now not accessible.

The external was functioning properly but now it is greyed out in "My Computer" and when you click on it then it says "You need to format the disk in Drive C: before you can use it."

Up until now it was fine and I could see all 3.64 TB of the external hard drive. It was sent to me from Acomdata with Raid 0 of 2tb hard drives.

I ran Easeus partition on the external drive and got the following:

Disk 2 (GPT)
*: Other 128 MB 128 MB used status none
* Unallocated 1007 KB 0 Bytes used status none
C: 1.82 TB 1.82 TB used status none

Disk 3 (MBR)
* unallocated 1.82 TB O Bytes used status none

Disk 2 is showing as basic GPT with C: (unformatted) 1.82 TB
Disk 3 is showing as as basic MBR with unallocated 1.82 TB

Is my Raid 0 gone now? Can I use a program to rebuild the Raid 0 so that I can access my data. If this sin't the problem then what happened.

If I can't rebuild the Raid 0 then is there some way to get the data off the external hard drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Ok, I'll look into that.

From my limited experience, this does look like a Raid problem?

My external was connected but I was updataing Windows and it restarted without me shutting down the external properly. I was thinking the Raid setup got corrupted.

Thanks again.

Hi again, someone mentioned to me that they think my NTSF boot sector for the external hard drive might be corrupted. Waht do you guys think? If this is the problem then does anyone know how to fix this. I figured I'd ask here first before going home to google some more. Thanks.

Will any of the Easeus programs such as partition master help me out? Thanks again!

Here's the deal......those external units have their own propritary RAID controllers and unless your recovery program has the info on that controller it's useless.

I suggest you contact Acomdata for info and NEVER store data on a RAID0 again. ;)

Would this be one of the famous acomdata.com units that they screwed up the pricing on and had to fulfill for $125.00? If it is, we had 3 of them die recently (we were running them in RAID1 configuration though). The SATA RAID boards in the external drives all crapped out about the same time. We were lucky because they were just mirrored single drives, you are in a bit more of a pickle. My suggestion would be trying raid reconstructor http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm .

Last edited:
Would this be one of the famous acomdata.com units that they screwed up the pricing on and had to fulfill for $125.00? If it is, we had 3 of them die recently (we were running them in RAID1 configuration though). The SATA RAID boards in the external drives all crapped out about the same time. We were lucky because they were just mirrored single drives, you are in a bit more of a pickle. My sigestion would be trying raid reconstructor http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm .

Yup, it's one of those drives. I've emailed them a couple of times for help, but no answer. I'm never by my pc during their telephone hours. From the post above, it looks like I may have a little bit of trouble. I've just been so busy with work that I haven't been able to build my Areca Raid 5 on my pc or setup my Netgear unit. I was hoping to skate by on this external till I had freetime. Oh well.... I think now after everybody's comments that maybe I'll try to just grab the data off without trying to fix the Raid or boot sector.

Thanks for your inputs.

Here's the deal......those external units have their own propritary RAID controllers and unless your recovery program has the info on that controller it's useless.

I suggest you contact Acomdata for info and NEVER store data on a RAID0 again. ;)

Yup, lesson learned. Ironically, I normally back things up to HD, disk and cloud but work has been so time consuming lately. Oh well....Thanks again.

Back