NEED HELP!! Wireless issue stumped

wjogert

2[H]4U
New network @ apartment that I just moved into.

Comcast wireless gateway fed into a Linksys wireless router
(I added router because the Comcast wireless WOULD NOT achieve higher than 4.6mbp/s... an issue for another time... Linksys-G gives solid +12mbp/s connection to all devices)

HTPC direct LAN to Comcast gateway, laptop and 2 android phones connected via Linksys, VOIP modem direct LAN to Comcast gateway.

GF's laptop WAS connected to Linksys fine, then stopped suddenly last night. It would not connect to either wireless, or the LAN. Unistalled all adapters, reinstalled, updated drivers.
Now I get internet via LAN. I can connect her to either wireless network, and communicate within the network... but absolutely no internet access still.

Every other computer, cell phone and the VOIP modem all connect to internet fine.
I have been playing with the Comcast gateway options to resolve the slow bandwidth issue, but everything is currently set back at default settings.

I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this. I need help.

Well one thing I know you can do for sure is call up Comcast and tell them to disable Wireless access and DHCP from the Comcast modem so that you can serve those things on your own equipment (Linksys). That will help solve a lot of troubleshooting issues (that is if you're familiar with networking).

Have you verified the ipconfig settings that they are correct? Can you ping an IP outside the network (Googles DNS 8.8.8.8 is a good one and easy to remember for troubleshooting purposes)? How about all the interfaces within the network? If you can't ping outside then somewhere along your internal network something is failing.

For good measure it never hurts (after you verified the ipconfig settings of course) to do the 3 little commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

sounds like the laptop wifi card antenna's went to crap

speed issue is because you are in an apartment with congested wifi channels

download the app "inssider" on android/windows and look at all the networks, pick the least congested channel and run with it.

Other than that you are SOL on 2.4GHz. Time to go to 5GHz or wired.

OK, ran Windows Updates while waiting for responses... just for good measure.

Now, after restart her laptop had no internet access via LAN or WIFI.

ipconfig
--IPv4... 192.168.0.112
--subnet... mask 255.255.255.0
--default... gateway 192.168.0.1
media state... media disconnected
tunnel adapter... isatap.hsd1.nh.comcast.net
DNS suffix... hsd1.nh.comcast.net
media state... media disconnected

Tried the above 3 commands, no affect. Still no internet from either connection.

All other internet devices in the house still have full internet access, so I'm most positive the issue is with the one laptop and not with the network.

??

Disabled IPv6, no change.

I doubt it's the actual wireless card/antenna, since I can communicate within the home network via wireless and LAN. But for the sake of sanity, I disabled the internal wifi and installed a Linksys USB wireless. It too connects to the network, but will not access the internet.

There has got to be some setting somewhere that is doing this. Grrrrr.

Is there some firewall setting in the Comcast gateway that could be blocking just the one laptop from accessing the internet??

I've disabled Avast and disabled Windows Firewall. Neither made any difference.

try booting into safe mode with networking, if you can ping 8.8.8.8 after that then you know that it's a software problem.

Also run a virus scan and verify proxy settings in IE. Some viruses are known to mess with network stacks.

Also can you tell us where she loses internet at?
From her laptop, ping the Linksys gateway, reply?
Ping the comcast gateway, reply?
Ping 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8, reply?
Ping www.google.com, reply?

If she can ping via IP, it's a DNS issue. If she can ping one gateway but not the other there is a firewall or routing issue. If she can't ping 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8, then Comcast is blocking her (less likely since you have other devices online).

Noticed that the Comcast gateway listed her laptop and my cell phone both as "offline devices" (although my cell phone still had internet access...?)

Couldn't find a way to change it, so decided to just try a factory reset on the gateway.

Her laptop suddenly gained internet access!!

Of course the rest of my home network LOST internet access, lol.
No problem though, reset the Linksys router, change a few settings, renew IP's, and it looks like I'm good now.

Although I'm noticing now that every device that accesses the gateway through the Linksys, is listed as "offline" in the gateway status.... but at least they all work.

I have to ask, is this a Vista PC?

Is it an Atheros adapter?

If yes to the above, then you need a driver update.
That, or your firewall / AV software are probably the issue.

Remove the AV if you have it, with the proper tools and then try
and get connected.

Back