• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help to budget PC

Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
7
I'm having trouble (as I am a noob with hardware) to find a build that can support max settings on Starcraft 2. As of now, I have 600 to spend and I need to pretty much build the whole thing from scratch. Which include monitor, tower, RAM, CPU, Motherboard, Power Supply, Graphics Card, and maybe mouse and keyboard too. Some links for good deals on hard drive space appreciated. A few things that I have found are listed below. Of course with my lack of knowledge, it is probably the worst build choice. I would like to keep the monitor I already found, but if there is a better deal, it would be helpful.


Monitor: ASUS VW195T-P Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000 :1 ASCR Built-in Speakers
119.99 + free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236068

Tower:Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Black SECC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
44.99+ 2.99 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133094

Power Supply:RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply
39.98+1.99 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0
 
Not gonna happen for your budget..

Even if a monitor wasn't included it would be difficult to spec a system capable of running SC2 at max for 600.. I would think that you would need closer to 900-1000 if you want max settings..

Now if your willing to give on settings & drop to medium/low then I think it can be done for your budget.
 
Are you near a Microcenter?


To really max SC2, you're probably going to want an i5 750 at minimum. This is the best I could do, could do better if you live near a Microcenter.


Case: Cooler Master Elite 335
$40 w/ promo EMCZZZW24 (additional $10 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-111810-Index-_-ComputerCases-_-11119161-L01B
Save money here by getting something local and CHEAP. $20 case will do FINE for a budget build, as long as there is room for the components and airflow.

PSU: Cooler Master 500
$35 w/ promo EMCZZZW24 (additional $10 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-111810-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17171031-L0B
Not the best but definitely not the worst.

GPU: Sapphire 5750 1GB
$107 (additional $10 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102859
This is about the lowest GPU you can get and still max SC2 (Ultra) with a good CPU even @ 1920x1200.

CPU: i5-760
$205
http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-core-...8-mb-l3/q/loc/101/216734294.html?listingid=-1
Seems like this is your best bet for max settings, SC2 is more CPU bound.

Motherboard: ASRock H55-M-LE 1156
$62 + $3 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157190
Cheapest one I could find.. and good ratings.

RAM: GEIL Value PLUS 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333
$50 + $1 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144478
Cheapest. As long as it doesn't break this will do the job.

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
$51 w/ coupon TAKE5
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...D103SJ-1TB-SATA2-7200rpm-32MB-Hard-Drive&c=CJ

$554 before MIRs. $534 after MIRs. No screen, KB, or mouse.
 
Last edited:
Yes, I if my budget can't support SC2 at max, then I would accept medium settings, but no lower. Thanks for the advise. If I can, I"ll try to raise more income.
 
For the processor, I was actually thinking of going Athlon II or something else by AMD since one of my friends told me that it was much more cost effective. I especially like graphics card you mentioned KaTaIDT. And if I can't get a monitor with the remaining 50-80, then do you know of a build I could use to play SC2 at medium to semi-high resolution? that would be helpful thanks all.
 
KataIDT's build will not come close to max settings with SC2.. Sc2 needs both a good CPU & GPU. & I had a 5750 during the sc2 beta & I got nowhere near max (@1920x1200).. In fact medium was pushing it at the time..

As far as the Intel vs AMD thing. You can pretty much guarantee to spend less on an AMD rig & the performance isn't far behind.

Edit: This wont play on max with consistent framerates.. But it certainly wont choke on medium/high at the monitors native res (1440x900)..

129 BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard + AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz
190 XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W + XFX HD-577X-ZMF3 Radeon HD 5770 1GB
50 GeIL Value PLUS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
23 Logitech MK120 Black USB Wired Slim Desktop
100 Acer X193WCb Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
43 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200
40 Antec TWO HUNDRED S Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
20 SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R

Shipped total of 621.34 & still has 50 bucks in MIR
 
Last edited:
Much thanks bastage, I think that will probably be the build I will go for. I plan to get the parts sometime in January so I'll probably get the parts cheaper after the holiday season is over. If I am incorrect in assuming so, if not, then hopefully the prices of other products will drop. Again, thank you all for your supportive advise.
 
KataIDT's build will not come close to max settings with SC2.. Sc2 needs both a good CPU & GPU. & I had a 5750 during the sc2 beta & I got nowhere near max (@1920x1200).. In fact medium was pushing it at the time..

As far as the Intel vs AMD thing. You can pretty much guarantee to spend less on an AMD rig & the performance isn't far behind.

Edit: This wont play on max with consistent framerates.. But it certainly wont choke on medium/high at the monitors native res (1440x900)..

What CPU are you running?

GPU 1680x1050 @ Ultra:
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page4.html

CPU:
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page13.html

The game is very heavily CPU bound. I could EASILY max it @ 1920x1200 with a 5770 and an overclocked i5 750.
 
Much thanks bastage, I think that will probably be the build I will go for. I plan to get the parts sometime in January so I'll probably get the parts cheaper after the holiday season is over. If I am incorrect in assuming so, if not, then hopefully the prices of other products will drop. Again, thank you all for your supportive advise.
Some of those parts may not be available in January. Not to mention that all those combo deals disappear this month.

So a week before you buy, come back and ask again for build help. More than likely a build in January will look different from one made in November
 
Okay, I'll be sure to rethread a new post near January. I was hoping that I could get some advise right now so I could look for the same parts during that time, but you made a good point about the combo deals. Thanks.
 
Okay, I'll be sure to rethread a new post near January. I was hoping that I could get some advise right now so I could look for the same parts during that time, but you made a good point about the combo deals. Thanks.

Are you near a Microcenter or Fry's? If you are, you can *really* save on the CPU/Motherboard. They both have great combos a lot of the time. Pretty good on screens too.
 
Are you near a Microcenter or Fry's? If you are, you can *really* save on the CPU/Motherboard. They both have great combos a lot of the time. Pretty good on screens too.

Well, the nearest Fry's and Microcenter is about 6 hours away by vehicle. I don't have the luxury to be going anywhere at the moment though since I am deprived of any transportation. However, if I do somehow go there, I'll be sure to stop by and check things out.
 
What CPU are you running?

GPU 1680x1050 @ Ultra:
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page4.html

CPU:
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page13.html

The game is very heavily CPU bound. I could EASILY max it @ 1920x1200 with a 5770 and an overclocked i5 750.


OK so I jsut looked at those reviews & all I can really say is ROFLCOPTER... I have a Phenom II x2 555 & a 6850.. I play at Ultra @ 1920x1200 & my FPS are normally 3x what they got on a 480 with the same CPU.. To put it simple.. there doing something wrong.
 
Back
Top