• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help selecting cpu, video card and ram

Flashheart

n00b
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
7
I havent built a pc for quite some time and Im looking to use an old atx case with dvd rom to build a new system for gaming. My budget has just grown as I had a bit of luck on the horses yesterday :cool:

I have these parts already...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CcYRcf

Im not really up to scratch with pc components these days but I was thinking of taking back the ram as I got it from a local shop and swapping it for something faster. Are any of these better and are they compatible with the rest of the build?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a2400c11a

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a2133c11

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a2400c11r



I take it the higher the frequency the faster the memory? So these 2400mhz are better than 2133mhz and the 1600mhz I might take back?



Then I was looking at putting in the i7 4790k

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k



and a gtx 970 although there are so many differant 970s im not sure which make to go for.

Then get windows 10

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-kw900139

Would these parts work together and run new games on max settings at 1080p?

Im in UK

The only purpose for the pc is gaming. I,d hope to run games on max settings for the next 3 years.
 
Last edited:
Which ATX case? No point in building if the case itself doesn't provide sufficient cooling or space.

In regards to RAM speed, AFAIK, there's only one game that actually benefits from higher RAM speed, FO4. If you're planning on playing that game, yes get the cheapest DDR3 2400 RAM set you can find. If you're not planning on playing that game, get the cheapest DDR3 1600 RAM set you can find.

The only real iffy part of your planned setup is the PSU: It's so-so in terms of quality. If there's one part that I would return, it would be that PSU. I would replace it with this:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

Besides the iffy PSU and the unknown case, that setup looks solid enough for most 1080P gaming at max settings.
 
why not Z170 board with Skylake CPU? such as MSI board and 6700K processor, though 4790k is a sick nice CPU few friends that have it.

I would always add aftermarket CPU cooler there are many out there that are very low cost and much better then stock cooling, Rajintek, Coolermaster, Arctic cooling and so forth.

Extra Ram speed is useful in more then just games, but it does also matter on timings as extra bandwidth (speed) can be very good, it will not be as good if the timings (latency etc) are high, while not 100% sure with all Intel core series, I would not go with DDR3 1600 class memory, I would be looking at 1866 or more, the "breaking point"does seem to be 2133-2400 class with anything above only generally usefull with speed records not performance as the much looser timings not to mention spike in cost is not justifiable, the 2400 and 2133 are generally quite close in cost/timings, so the 2400 class is usually worth getting generally only +/- $10 or so.

Also, are the Haswell and above "safe" with 1.65v memory, I have heard that it will eventually burn out the IMC and Intel recommends 1.35v for this reason.
 
Pc part picker does say the 2400 is incompatible with haswell as 1.65v us greater than the recommended 1.5v so would 2133 be the best to go for then?

Not sure what you mean about timings latency being high or how to check that?
 
its not always the speed that needs more voltage, many Gskill kits are 1.35-1.5v whereas Corsair Vengeance standard are 1.65v with the low voltage ones if I recall are 1.35v. I use Gskill memory myself, as far as I have heard even though Vengeance can be used Intel, they were "meant" more for AMD whereas most Gskill kits where meant for Intel with XMP.

I would suggest looking at your motherboard QVL this can give better indication of what memory to use, although nothing is ever guaranteed, it is a good starting point. I know Gskill has Sniper series which are 1.35v and ECO if I recall are 1.25v. Speed in memory rarely always equals higher voltage,depends on the type and quality of the DIMMS used, in this case, just look for something that has lower voltage.

1.575v is the max recommended for haswell, though all memory can usually be run slower with less voltage or less voltage manually set. Easier to just look for memory with lower voltage :)
 
Back
Top