Need help reviewing $2k build list

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming and work. I work in finance and tend to game while I work so Ill have multiple trading programs as well as games active at once. I play the standard FPS and high end games, GTA V, Skyrim, JC3, Fallout 4, ect...

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$2,000

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Chicago Il

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, RAM, SSHD, Mobo, Vid card, PSU, CD/DVD burner, case

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

None

6) Will you be overclocking?

Probably, but not a priority.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Currently using a Dell 24" and 30" display, 1920x1200 and 2560x1600. It's important to note that I plan on upgrading the monitor to a Acer Predator X34" while also keeping the dell 30" for multiple monitor use and need to make sure the new video card to support at least the Predator 34". Ill add an additional card if needed to run the 30" separately.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within next month or two

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Whatever makes sense for gaming and work.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Windows 7 64 but will upgrade to windows 10 from there.

Here is the list Iv made so far but Im unsure about a few items such as the ASRock mobo, Iv heard mixed opinions on them. As well as the m.2 SSD. I know the monitor adds to the over all price, I just left it in there for reference for what I still plan on adding. I need something that can both run the future monitor listed as well as all the trading programs and games I want to use. I tried to make it as powerful as possible and keeping within the 2k budget.

PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ($184.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.SKILL 32GB (4 x 8GB) Ripjaws 4 Series ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Hybrid 06G-P4-1996-KR ($729.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 1000W SuperNOVA 1000G2 120-G2-1000-XR ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO MZ-N5E500BW ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 FD-CA-DEF-R5-TI-W ($119.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: SILVERSTONE TD02-LITE ($73.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2,005.90
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

PC Hound Part List

Monitor: Acer Predator X34 ($1299.98 @ NCIX)
Total: $1,299.98
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

Last edited:
That AsRock is a solid enough motherboard. I wouldn't really hesitate to recommend that particular ASRock. With that said, the Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 is a solid choice as well if you're feeling that uneasy about ASRock.

The Cooler is a bit of an issue: Are you aiming for lowest temps possible or quietest system possible?

I kind of dug around a bit more on parts and changed up the cooler and mobo. Right now Im looking at the Corsair Hydro H60 and the MSI X99A, I would like as cool as possible and I figured on the cooler I can change up the fan to something quieter later if needed. Im still not opposed to other boards, Im looking into the Asus board now that you mentioned. It seems no matter what ever board out there has it's share of bad experiences.

I kind of dug around a bit more on parts and changed up the cooler and mobo. Right now Im looking at the Corsair Hydro H60 and the MSI X99A, I would like as cool as possible and I figured on the cooler I can change up the fan to something quieter later if needed. Im still not opposed to other boards, Im looking into the Asus board now that you mentioned. It seems no matter what ever board out there has it's share of bad experiences.

The H60 is not a good AIO at all for the money since there are cheaper air coolers that'll outperform it. Stick with the Silverstone TD02 in that case. As for the motherboard, I prefer the AsRock over the MSI simply because there's more info showing the reliability of the AsRock. But yes, you're right: There's no such thing as a perfect or even near-perfect motherboard.

Back