• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

need help picking parts to replace stolen computer

jgerac2

n00b
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
24
I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum, so I'm reposting it here.

I need help deciding on what parts to get for a new PC build. My house got broken into last week, and my computer was stolen, so I have nothing except a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I'm going to have to build this completely from scratch, so I'll need every component. It's been several years since I built my last computer, so I don't know what's good anymore.

I'll try to give a basic rundown of what I need:

budget is $1000
has to be micro ATX
to be used for moderate gaming
1 TB harddrive (I store a lot of music and movies)


I prefer AMD processors, but that's going on my opinions based on stuff from 4 years ago.
 
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned the case. The Cooler Master Elite 340 is the exact case I wanted.
 
As far as moderate gaming, I don't really know what I mean. I haven't been playing any games lately since I had a 4 year old system. The monitor have is a 19" LCD, but I can't remember the resolution. It's nothing too high though.
 
I guess I can give a breakdown of some games I like:

Command and Conquer
World of Warcraft
Starcraft
Warcraft

That's all I can think of that I've played recently.

edit: I thought of some that I want to be able to play when they come out. I want to be able to play Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, maybe Shellshock 2, and the new Silent Hill.
 
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU - $170
Asus P5Q-EM LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $135
G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 1000 RAM - $68
VisionTek 900241 Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-E Video Card - $190
Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $85
Samsung SH-222F 22X DVD±R SATA DVD Burner - $25
Corsair 520HX 520W Modular PSU - $105
Cooler Master Elite 340 RC-340C-KKN1-GP Black Steel MicroATX Case - $40
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 OEM - $80
---
Total: $898 plus tax and shipping

The HD4850 should be more than enough to max out many games on a 19" monitor. Though if it isn't or you like to spend money on needless upgrades, get the HD4870 or GTX 260 since there's still room in your budget.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The HD4850 should be more than enough to max out many games on a 19" monitor. Though if it isn't or you like to spend money on needless upgrades, get the HD4870 or GTX 260 since there's still room in your budget.

:p

If that's powerful enough, then I wouldn't upgrade. Other than the HD, I had over 800 GB of stuff on my last PC.
 
Would you happen to know if there's room for a bigger HSF? Or if it's even worth getting with that CPU?
 
Would you happen to know if there's room for a bigger HSF? Or if it's even worth getting with that CPU?

If you're not planning on overclocking and live in a relatively cool place, then no need to get a HSF.

Not 100% sure what HSF you can fit inside that case.
 
Back
Top