Need help picking out a 5.1 system

Stm85

n00b
Hey guys and gals,

I need some help picking out a 5.1 surround system for my TV room. I have about $500 to spend. I am pairing it with an Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2-Channel Network Audio/Video Receiver Link

I have looked at reviews and most our outdated.

I am looking for something close to the Klispch Quintet 5.0 system, I wanted for it to go down to the $249.99 price but it hasn't in the last two months. Needs to be compact has to keep the wife happy.

Thank you!!

-Stuart

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does it have to be a surround system? For that money a pair of great stereo speakers would be a better choice.

The DefTech system is a good choice if the speakers must be tiny, but you're really giving up a fair amount with such a compromise in terms of dynamics and quality.

I had ordered the Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Link and ended having to return it because it was huge! Also soundsed amazing, killer highes and tons of bass! Just look up too much room.

The center speaker is my main concern, the Andrew Jones center is 8.4 x 18.1 x 7.1 inches ; 13.4 pounds, which is about the size size as the Onkyo center.

The ProCinema looks nice!

What are ya'll thoughts on the Bose Acoustimass 6? Link They are on sale for $369.99

Thank guys!!

What are ya'll thoughts on the Bose Acoustimass 6? Link They are on sale for $369.99!

That would be a no even at $69.99, in my opinion. Bose isn't just overpriced. The vast majority of their products are garbage at ANY price. And their WORST products are those "micro speaker" systems. Definitive, on the other hand, is a pretty good brand that is VERY much better than Bose. And while those Definitive speakers linked above might not seem all that much bigger than that Bose system, they are, and the difference is actually quite major. Even though the Defs are still pretty small.

P.S. Onkyo is one of the least reliable receivers out there and not just based one one or two reviews. Buying an Onkyo is never the right choice. Always choose Denon over Onkyo. Always. Though if your Onkyo was too large, pretty much any receiver other than maybe the slim ones (Marantz and JVC make some of those) will also be too large.

Last edited:
I have no issue with receiver, it is actually my 2nd Onkyo, and I have the same model one in my man cave. I was able to get them for $169.99 each from best buy. I have been using the one for PC gaming, for almost 2 years and love it. I finally decided to redo our TV room which is about 15’x20’ it is for our 50” Samsung led tv. In my man cave, I have the Klipsch HD 500 Compact 5.1 link paired with the Onkyo TX-NR262, I ended getting off Amazon for $249.00 and they are great! I do wish it had a little bit deeper bass, but it does the job. If I could find another set of theses or something close, that is what I’m looking for. I am on a budget though, I am paying for a wedding as well has trying to getting this project done. Getting married on May 2nd, only 8 days to go!

Thanks again guys!

If I didn't have to worry about budgeting right now, I would get:

Klipsch Quintet 5.0 Home Theater Speaker Link for $549.99
Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series 12-Inch 300-Watt Subwoofer with High Gloss Trim (Black) Link for $299.99

But getting close to $900 is just not in the cards right now =/

If you know you want those specific speakers, my suggestion is to look for used ones on Ebay, Craigslist and Audiogon.

$250 for the Quintet 5.0 from the Egg, plus $144 for the Pioneer subwoofer.

Last edited:
You will get a much better speaker system by piecing it together than getting a home theater in a box option. Definitely go used on ebay or craigslist. There are a lot of deals to be had

Looks like Fry's has this for shipping, which they usually don't.

The JBL Loft Series usually goes on sale pretty frequently. I have 4 Loft 40 bookshelves and 1 Loft 20 Center.

The 40s usually go on sale for $50 a pair and the center is $50 right now. I guess you could go with the Loft 30's too since they're $40 a pair right now.

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&cat=&query_string=loft+20

You'd still be able to get your preferred subwoofer too. Or wait for a sale on one.

Back