• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need help on RAM cooling

Hornet

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
6,624
Hi, I need some advise/opinion on these matter

1. Which of the following type of heatsink for RAM is better?
I'm using KVR DDR400 ram BTW....ramsink or heatspreader is better in terms of cooling performance? both are at the same price.
heatsink1jp.jpg


2. Does the waranty sticker need to be removed? I'm worried I might cause static charge damage to the ram with my hands rubbing agains it. Is there any safe way if need to?

Thanks alot for any comments :)
 
Hmmm ... "sink" vs. "spreader" ... definitely the sink would be better - no doubt.

The basic idea is to wick the heat from the chips & dissipate it to the environment, not just
spread it across the module. Which is all 'heatspreaders' are good for really. That & fancy looks.
 
Susquehannock said:
Hmmm ... "sink" vs. "spreader" ... definitely the sink would be better - no doubt.

The basic idea is to wick the heat from the chips & dissipate it to the environment, not just
spread it across the module. Which is all 'heatspreaders' are good for really. That & fancy looks.
Why hasn't anybody made ramsinks that mount like a heatspreader? Damn... I probably just gave up my zillion dollar idea. LOL
 
Hornet said:
I'm worried I might cause static charge damage to the ram with my hands rubbing agains it. Is there any safe way if need to?

Thanks alot for any comments :)

Get a grounding wrist strap and ground yourself to something. And yes be very careful as RAM is particularly susceptible to ESD.
 
Ooooh! Good idea!!! But you need to build a LEFTIE and a RIGHTIE that way, the heat sinks dont block each other... but then you also will be only effectively cooling 1 side. But if you use Copper as the clip, then it can conduct a bit of heat that way?!?!? Brilliant Maaan!

GilmourD said:
Why hasn't anybody made ramsinks that mount like a heatspreader? Damn... I probably just gave up my zillion dollar idea. LOL
 
Why do you think you need heatspreaders/ramsinks? Seeing how it's KVR, all you're going to do is enhance the look (subjective).
 
_Korruption_ said:
Why do you think you need heatspreaders/ramsinks? Seeing how it's KVR, all you're going to do is enhance the look (subjective).
Well, with a little added voltage and lower temps, there is the possibility of some better timings and/or clocks. :)
 
GilmourD said:
Well, with a little added voltage and lower temps, there is the possibility of some better timings and/or clocks. :)
RAM typically doesn't need active cooling until you go over the 3.0V range. A lot of people [(cf)eclipse] would argue that heatspreaders only work to trap heat and make your RAM run slightly warmer. The best thing you can do is point a fan (doesn't necessarily have to be high-CFM) directly at the naked RAM chips.

Like I said, he's running Kingston Value RAM... not exactly good for overclocking anyway.
 
Back
Top