• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help on a new build

Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
33
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, but I would like to build something with an emphasis on upgradeability provided it ends up being cheaper than buying a new computer every two to three years.
2) What's your budget? ~$1000
3) Where do you live? United States
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Mobo, CPU (w/ hyperthreading), RAM, Case, Hard Drives (two), Videocard (single solution, not bothering with SLI or crossfire for the meanwhile), and a single DVD Super Multi drive (reader writer etc)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Monitor, nothing else.
6) Will you be overclocking? No, but I’m not against using pre-overclocked parts provided they don’t overheat like crazy.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? already have a 21.5 in. w/ reso of 1920x1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? USB 3.0, SLi and Crossfire (if possible), firewire (just in case), RAID (again, in case I want to use it later down the line), and maybe triple channel memory support.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? XP-OEM, but I’ll need a Windows 7 license so I can utilize all of my ram.
 
Last edited:
$360 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU + Asus P7P55D-E Pro Intel P55 ATX Motherboard Combo
$70 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$300 - Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 1GB PCI-E Video Card + Corsair 650HX 650W Modular PSU
$55 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$60 - Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$17 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$160 - Cooler Master CM690 II Basic ATX Case + Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM Combo
---
Total: $1022 shipped.

Keep the OS on that fast 500GB drive. That motherboard fits all of your requirements. Also managed to insert Windows 7 in there as well.
 
does the op have a monitor already? He doesn't list it in the re-using parts section.
 
hossdaddy > I am reusing my monitor and speakers. Sorry about that.

Danny Bui > It's a great setup, but I'm wondering how much I'll be missing out by using the i5 instead of the i7. I've heard that hyperthreading is of use in Photoshop, and I'm sure the benefits of triple channel memory would be apparent in things like 3D modeling programs like Maya and 3D Studio Max. Your thoughts? (And I apologize for not including the fact that I'd be using this rig for Photoshop and 3D programs as well. I would've indicated it up front if I weren't in such a rush to put that out there.)
 
Last edited:
hossdaddy > I am reusing my monitor and speakers. Sorry about that.

Danny Bui > It's a great setup, but I'm wondering how much I'll be missing out by using the i5 instead of the i7. I've heard that hyperthreading is of use in Photoshop, and I'm sure the benefits of triple channel memory would be apparent in things like 3D modeling programs like Maya and 3D Studio Max. Your thoughts? (And I apologize for not including the fact that I'd be using this rig for Photoshop and 3D programs as well. I would've indicated it up front if I weren't in such a rush to put that out there.)

Hyperthreading is used in Photoshop but not enough to warrant the costs of a Core i7 CPU. AS for 3D Studio Max, the difference there is a bit more pronounced than with Photoshop but, again, not enough to warrant the extra costs IMO. In addition, I have not seen any article showing a noticeable performance increase from dual to triple channel RAM with the apps you mentioned.

So basically, you won't be missing out THAT much. Besides, it's a bit of a moot point discussing this considering that your budget is ~$1000.
 
Back
Top