Need help : Oled eg9100 or Samsung ks9500

tnaik

n00b
Hey guys , I m a new member here but I've been a daily reader for many years , I need ur advise on deciding what tv should i get.

I do own currently the LG 49ub850 and I use it as a second pc monitor , its not getting much use lately since I bought the Asus swift pg278q 144hz which felt so much smoother and made it hard to go back to 60hz unless a game doesn't support higher refresh rate.

My main reason to upgrade the LG is picture quality , i dont really like the blacks and any dark scenes looks washed out specially on Netflix, so I m looking at the OLED eg9100 and the SAMSUNG ks9500 ( the only high end models available in my country ) .

Now both cost $2500 but the Samsung offer a free Galaxy Note 5 for free which I can sell for around $450 .

I can't seem to decide between the amazing blacks of OLed and the 4k HDR and the somewhat good blacks of the samsung , ill be sitting 6ft away from the tv , and 4k content is rare in my country plus Internet speed is slow for UHD streaming , on the other hand the tv gonna be a secondary monitor so 4k might be better than 1080p for that. I wish oled 4k is affordable here but I can't justify $10 000 for it :( .

I m looking forward for ur advise

Thanks and sorry for my English it's not my main language.

KS9500

I have the step below, the flat version, the KS8000 and it's amazing.

Check out rtings.com on it. It's the set to own

Reactions: tnaik
like this
Second the KS9500. Easy choice if you ask me. Go for 4K over the lower res OLED.

like this
KS9500

I have the step below, the flat version, the KS8000 and it's amazing.

Check out rtings.com on it. It's the set to own
The only concern i have about the ks9500 is being Edge lit , how's the black level on ur ks8000 ?

I ve read a lot that it is good as long as u keep some light in the room and u stay dead centre , i have no problem staying in the sweet spot but i do like darkening the room when watching and playing games .

LG OLED is better in every regard except peak brightness (which matters more for 4K HDR movies) but you have to babysit it a bit. Pure blacks (meaning infinite contrast ratio) and near limitless viewing angles and excellent color accuracy are something to die for. But as I said you have to babysit it a bit, OLEDs suffer from image retention (even burn-in in extreme cases) though not as bad as Plasma was. But it is there. Dont leave the same HUD or web browser open for many hours straight and keep a screensaver / monitor power saving times quite short.

Samsung KS series are safer since it is a normal LCD screen so no burn in and such. But it also comes with the normal limitations LCD has, viewing angles and no absolute pure blacks. But it is a VA panel, which in comparison to your current LG with IPS panel it provides MUCH better blacks and contrast ratio. The old LG will look very flat and grey in comparison.

BTW, since you have Nvidia card and if your LG looks like crap even in bright daylight make sure you have HDMI RGB levels correct. Nvidia defaults to RGB Limited for TV's, which is usually wrong for TV's turned to PC mode unless your TV autodetects the signal correctly. If not, it can result in even poorer blacks and contrast ratio. The HDMI Black Level (or whatever it is called in LG, the choices it has are still usually Full or Limited) in your TV settings has to match with whatever the Nvidia control panel is set to. In PC use you usually want both to be Full.

like this
Samsung can't do HDR in game mode

Digital Foundry: the best 4K TVs for HDR gaming

It might be important if you want to keep it for few years (or it might turn out to be completely irrelevant depending on market trends)

This is something Samsung MIGHT patch in future firmware updates, hopefully. HDR gaming has not been a thing until just couple of weeks when Xbox One S was releases and to my knowledge no game even makes use of it. Everything is still up in the air as far as HDR + gaming goes.

LG OLED is better in every regard except peak brightness (which matters more for 4K HDR movies) but you have to babysit it a bit. Pure blacks (meaning infinite contrast ratio) and near limitless viewing angles and excellent color accuracy are something to die for. But as I said you have to babysit it a bit, OLEDs suffer from image retention (even burn-in in extreme cases) though not as bad as Plasma was. But it is there. Dont leave the same HUD or web browser open for many hours straight and keep a screensaver / monitor power saving times quite short.

Samsung KS series are safer since it is a normal LCD screen so no burn in and such. But it also comes with the normal limitations LCD has, viewing angles and no absolute pure blacks. But it is a VA panel, which in comparison to your current LG with IPS panel it provides MUCH better blacks and contrast ratio. The old LG will look very flat and grey in comparison.

BTW, since you have Nvidia card and if your LG looks like crap even in bright daylight make sure you have HDMI RGB levels correct. Nvidia defaults to RGB Limited for TV's, which is usually wrong for TV's turned to PC mode unless your TV autodetects the signal correctly. If not, it can result in even poorer blacks and contrast ratio. The HDMI Black Level (or whatever it is called in LG, the choices it has are still usually Full or Limited) in your TV settings has to match with whatever the Nvidia control panel is set to. In PC use you usually want both to be Full.
Thanks Maza for ur detailed reply , it is very helpful .

I dont mind babysitting the OLED to avoid image retention , desktop use is close to none , the only time i m going to use it is to play video games that dont support more than 60hz or playing the PS4 , other than that its purely for blu-rays and netflix .
Do you think being an 1080p tv and me sitting around 6ft away from it , i m going to notice screen door effect specially since its OLED .

About the nvidia settings , i do have it correctly and it doesnt look as bad in bright daylight , but its horrible in a completely blacked out room , i have Sony hw40es projector on 135inch screen in the same room and it looks way better .

One last thing is that i m not buying the tv to last me a very long time , so i m not worried much about future proofing , i just want to get the one ill enjoy more these 2-3 years since ill probably be buying 4k OLED as soon as it is more affordable .

Thanks Maza for ur detailed reply , it is very helpful .

I dont mind babysitting the OLED to avoid image retention , desktop use is close to none , the only time i m going to use it is to play video games that dont support more than 60hz or playing the PS4 , other than that its purely for blu-rays and netflix .
Do you think being an 1080p tv and me sitting around 6ft away from it , i m going to notice screen door effect specially since its OLED .

About the nvidia settings , i do have it correctly and it doesnt look as bad in bright daylight , but its horrible in a completely blacked out room , i have Sony hw40es projector on 135inch screen in the same room and it looks way better .

One last thing is that i m not buying the tv to last me a very long time , so i m not worried much about future proofing , i just want to get the one ill enjoy more these 2-3 years since ill probably be buying 4k OLED as soon as it is more affordable .

6-feet. Thats about 2 meters right? I doubt you would see any screendoor effect. Jaggies yes, but lines betweeen individiual pixels no.

The Sammy has lower input lag and no IR issues. IR is not just a factor for desktop use, any video game with any static content is going to be a potential risk. However on these sets it goes away fairly quickly.

I think even if you are only planning on owning it for 3 years tops, 4k is still worth it over the superior PQ of OLED at 1080p. And I say this as a 4k OLED owner. 4k is going to become more mainstream and you may be able to take advantage of 4k content sooner than you think. So for me I think the 4k is really the deciding factor here. But if you really dont care about 4k and are positive your content is going to be 1080p for the near future then yes maybe get the OLED instead.

Edge lit is sort of subjective. Samsung has gotten pretty good at it. If you go looking for it yes you will notice it sometimes.

Last edited:
like this
The Sammy has lower input lag and no IR issues. IR is not just a factor for desktop use, any video game with any static content is going to be a potential risk. However on these sets it goes away fairly quickly.

I think even if you are only planning on owning it for 3 years tops, 4k is still worth it over the superior PQ of OLED at 1080p. And I say this as a 4k OLED owner. 4k is going to become more mainstream and you may be able to take advantage of 4k content sooner than you think. So for me I think the 4k is really the deciding factor here. But if you really dont care about 4k and are positive your content is going to be 1080p for the near future then yes maybe get the OLED instead.

Edge lit is sort of subjective. Samsung has gotten pretty good at it. If you go looking for it yes you will notice it sometimes.
i would love to have 4k content , but 4k streaming isnt possible due to 2Mbps connection , and buying 4k blurays from the states and shipping them here ( Middle East ) will cost me around $60-70/movie which i dont think is worh it , so my only 4k content will be gaming through my pc .
Since u have 4k OLED is the picture quality that much better than LED tvs, ive only seen it in showrooms and the ks9500 looked very close but that might be due to the bright light in there .

I have the OLED55C6P

Peak brightness is not an issue, it is plenty bright. Much brighter than Plasma ever was, and it does not Torch your eyeballs like LED does.

Plus the unlimited contrast from infinite blacks causes the colors to pop even more and makes things look more natural / realistic.

Finally, there is no backlight with OLED. This alone is worth the price of entry as there is ZERO backlight bleed, ZERO pixel polution. This is the best tv I have ever seen / used.

Currently I am using it as a desktop display next to my Predator X34 and I find my self choosing it over the predator in everything I play, including fast FPS. The picture is just too gorgeous! I also use it for Xbone and PS4 and have not had any image retention issues yet....and I have been using it for about two months.

If your only doing 1080p, I would still go OLED. I am currently selling off all of my LCD/LEDs and am only keeping the X34 because it does 100hz + Gsync with a respectable PPI & aspect ratio.

like this
i would love to have 4k content , but 4k streaming isnt possible due to 2Mbps connection , and buying 4k blurays from the states and shipping them here ( Middle East ) will cost me around $60-70/movie which i dont think is worh it , so my only 4k content will be gaming through my pc .
Since u have 4k OLED is the picture quality that much better than LED tvs, ive only seen it in showrooms and the ks9500 looked very close but that might be due to the bright light in there .

I've never owned an LED TV actually, I went right to OLED from Plasma.

And are you ever going to game at 4K? Do you plan on buying the necessary hardware? If not then maybe the OLED is the right choice. No point in buying a 4K set if you will never use the resolution.

For me, I did hours and hours of research, wandered around my local Best Buy staring at the TV's for longer than any normal person really should, and concluded the tech limitations in LED (blooming, black levels, motion) made buying the OLED worth the high price of entry. But I really wanted 4K. The PQ on high end LED's still looks great though and I read comments from many, many happy owners of Sammy sets. Rtings says the K8000 is the best PQ short of OLED so I think you would be satisfied with the PQ of the Samsung you are looking at.

Have you checked out the rtings reviews of the LG?

like this
I've never owned an LED TV actually, I went right to OLED from Plasma.

And are you ever going to game at 4K? Do you plan on buying the necessary hardware? If not then maybe the OLED is the right choice. No point in buying a 4K set if you will never use the resolution.

For me, I did hours and hours of research, wandered around my local Best Buy staring at the TV's for longer than any normal person really should, and concluded the tech limitations in LED (blooming, black levels, motion) made buying the OLED worth the high price of entry. But I really wanted 4K. The PQ on high end LED's still looks great though and I read comments from many, many happy owners of Sammy sets. Rtings says the K8000 is the best PQ short of OLED so I think you would be satisfied with the PQ of the Samsung you are looking at.

Have you checked out the rtings reviews of the LG?
Yeah i occasionally play at 4k on my current LG TV and i have the rig to do so , that's what making the decision to go 1080p OLED hard for me although the PQ is just amazing , if it was 4k it would be an instant buy .

I did check rtings reviews for both LG oled and ks9500 ( very similar to the ks8000 review ) . I m starting to lean towards ks9500 for now , and probably when 4k oled hits our area in the near future for sub $4000 ill snatch one .

I think if you have the rig for 4K and already occasionally game at that res, it will be disappointing to go back to 1080p especially on such a high price set. My personal opinion. Plus MS and Sony are releasing their 4K consoles next year, supposedly, so 4K gaming is going mainstream very soon.

like this
I think if you have the rig for 4K and already occasionally game at that res, it will be disappointing to go back to 1080p especially on such a high price set. My personal opinion. Plus MS and Sony are releasing their 4K consoles next year, supposedly, so 4K gaming is going mainstream very soon.
Yeah i agree with you , i dont think its very smart of me paying $2500 for an 1080p display even if its OLED , and on top of that the KS9500 is around $500 cheaper , so that settles it for me .

Back