Need Help Finding Maximum Power for my AIO Unit

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to figure out how many max amps this unit draws:

Enermax Aquafusion AIO

Enermax only gives the "rated current" and not "input current."

For their 120mm fans on the AIO unit, it says "rated current" .38 amps. There is no way that can be max power usage unless these are the most inefficient 120mm fans every made.

Noctua gives input current, as stated here:
Noctua Fan

For comparison, the Noctua Industrial 140MM fan spinning at 2000 RPMs, has a much higher pressure and air flow rating, and draws .18 amp

I'm not sure we can even determine the maximum power usage from the specs they give?

That 0.38A may be what it uses, and that's not maxium load, but running load. Most fan specs only give running current load. Startup load or load if impeller is stopped is 3-5 times higher than running load. This is why 99.999% of fan header failures are when sytem is starting up .. because fan is drawing so many times more power for part of a second. If you don't believe me below link is to Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon fan specs. Look at rating vs startup current load.
http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/pdf/D1225C.pdf

That 0.38A may be what it uses, and that's not maxium load, but running load. Most fan specs only give running current load. Startup load or load if impeller is stopped is 3-5 times higher than running load. This is why 99.999% of fan header failures are when sytem is starting up .. because fan is drawing so many times more power for part of a second. If you don't believe me below link is to Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon fan specs. Look at rating vs startup current load.
I'll well aware of initial power requirements for electrical devices on start, so I do believe you. I'm also trying to figure out how many amps the fan LEDs pull along with teh block LEDs.

For instance, it says "Rated Voltage" RGB LED 0.42A. Fan LED's .68 x2, 1.36 AMPS
So, I have the block LEDs plugged in and the two fans, which is a total of 1.78Amps.

My LED risers are rated at 2Amps, so I am almost maxed out already. That doesn't sound right.

Last edited:
Noctua rating in link sounds like running load, not startup, which is why I pushed so hard with my startup vs running ratings. Sorry if I sounded over the top. I've had so many readers argue with me not believing how much greater startup load is than running load it's almost funny.
Not sure exactly what SATA socket/plug connections are rated as I"ve seen as little as 1.5a and as much as 4.5a .. my guess is each power pin is 1.5a and there are 3 power pins in SATA connector for a total of 4.5a .
Last time I checked RGB LEDs each light was 50mA / 0.05A. LEDs don't draw any more power at startup than running so doesn't apply to them anyway.
I do agree, the specs seem high, but maybe they are that high. Any way we look at it, either the figures are right or specs are wrong.

Are you saying that this fan can pull up to 15Amps from my fan header on startup?
IMG_0864.JPG

What pendragon1 said.
Fans with 3.3a rating are not designed for our computers and that's what we talk about here.

But it came out of my computer. It's the rear chassis fan,
IMG_0748.JPG

A personal compiter with a 3300rpm fan rated at 65dB is definitly not normal. That's as loud as a lawn mower! Could you please give us the make, model, year and detailed list of components in your computer?

looks like a dell or hp work station system. ive seem abnormally high amped fans in dells lots of times but they have special headers and never run full speed.

Zepher , I appologize for not believing you. That is way more powerful fan than normally seen in our computers.

Maybe Nidec gave them a very good deal on the fans so Dell made system that can handle them. That said, I see no logical reason for any personal computer to have these fans. Even fans half as powerful can product penty of airflow .. and at much lower noise levels as well.

A personal compiter with a 3300rpm fan rated at 65dB is definitly not normal. That's as loud as a lawn mower! Could you please give us the make, model, year and detailed list of components in your computer?

I wouldn't say a hot swap bay for (looks like 6) HDDs is normal on a PC either.

It's an Intel SC5650 chassis with my Intel S2600COE motherboard and Dual Xeon E5-2670's and 128GB Ram.

the front fan is also a Nidec and is 2.x Amp, during post when the system ramps the fans to 100% it sounds like a leaf blower.
I did end up moving the Xeon into a Corsair Air 540 case and used the Intel chassis (without those Nidec's) as my Plex Server, currently with an i7 4770.
IMG_1695.JPG IMG_0678.JPG IMG_3923.JPG

Last edited:
Back