• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help diagnosing problem.

safehaven

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
224
So, I have been having an ongoing problem for some time now. I finally have some free time to chase it.

Here is the deal. When I try and wake my computer back up from sleep, it will spool the fans up like it would any other time I wake it up. BUT, it won't recover and it sits there and runs the fans on high indefinitely. This is problem is intermittent, and only occurs maybe 1-2 times a month. But, the problem has been going on for maybe a year or a year and a half.

To recover when this happens, I have to hold in the power switch to shut it down. Once I power it down, it will not even power up unless I unplug the main power from the back and wait a few seconds.

Once it powers and boots back up, the system is SLOW. When the problem first occurred, I would let it run slow until it recovered to normal speed. When I did it this way, it would eventually reset all of my overclocking settings in the BIOS.

Now when the problem occurs, I shut it down and boot it back up. But, instead of letting it run like a turd for 10 minutes, I restart it immediately. By doing this, the system is normal upon restart and it does not reset any of my BIOS settings.

I can rule out 2 things, OS and video card. I have change both of those things and have had the problem before and after the install of the new items.

My system is very dated, but it is still doing what I need it to do, so I haven't seen a reason to upgrade. Here is what I have: Gigabyte P35-DS3R Mobo, Core2Duo E6320 OCed to 3.21GHz, 4 GB DDR2 PC8000, XFX 9800GT (was an MSI 8600GT) and Win7 64-bit premium (was WinXP 32-bit).

I am looking for ideas on what I can do to diagnose the problem. I would like to revert to stock speeds only as a last resort. My system, since it is old, will not play Bad Company 2 for poop unless it is overclocked. So, where should I start??
 
As a bit of anecdotal evidence, I have an older version of your setup (Rig in sig) and my setup recovers from sleep just fine. Even with the OC and Windows 7.

So what you should try is looking into your motherboard's BIOs and look for and fiddle with the S3 and S2 or sleep function related settings for your BIOs.

Also, what hard drive do you have? That does influence recovery from Sleep mode as well.
 
The OS in on a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB. I also have 3x WD2500JS 250GB that I use as backup drives.

I will look in the BIOS for those functions.

This problem is intermittent. It functions normally maybe 19/20 times.

BTW. I thought I had the only massively outdated system LOL
 
Last edited:
I checked out the BIOS. I cannot find that I have an S2 setting. This is what I have:

ACPI Suspend Type;

[S1 (POS)] - Set suspend type to Power On Suspend under ACPI OS
[S3 (STR)] - Set suspend type to RAM under ACPI OS

I am not familiar with what those descriptions mean, nor do I know what the settings do. It is currently set as S3. Should I try S1?
 
Keep it on S3.

1) Hmm, is your BIOs updated?
2) Are there any other parts, besides the parts you mentioned, that's installed with the PC?
3) Try the PC at stock speeds. I know I know but this will be much faster and easier to figure out if we can run out ALL variables.
4) Is Display set to "PEG"? If no, set it to PEG.
5) Find "Loadline" in your BIOS and disable it.
 
Keep it on S3.

1) Hmm, is your BIOs updated?
2) Are there any other parts, besides the parts you mentioned, that's installed with the PC?
3) Try the PC at stock speeds. I know I know but this will be much faster and easier to figure out if we can run out ALL variables.
4) Is Display set to "PEG"? If no, set it to PEG.
5) Find "Loadline" in your BIOS and disable it.

1. NOPE! I am only..... uh, um...... 8 versions behind. I think perhaps that will be an excellent place to start.

2. None that I think would matter. Earthwatts 500W power supply, Toshiba CDRW, USB mouse, PS2 keyboard, USB graphics tablet, USB printer, and a Firewire card that I have never used.

3. I don't mind doing this, but I'd rather wait until I have exhausted all other ideas. I am apprehensive for two reasons. First, I just don't want to work on a slower than poo machine. And second, my wake problem is so intermittent that I'd have to use my slower that poo machine for a month or two to know if that was truly the problem.

4. I couldn't find a PEG setting in the BIOS, but I don't think I was looking in the right spot. I did some research via google and will go back and take a look.

5. I could not find anything in the BIOS referring to "loadline". Any help with a more specific location?
 
Remove the firewire card, PS2 keyboard, USB printer, and tablet. See if it pops up again

Dunno where loadline is actually. Showed up only in the P35 IIRC.

As for the OC, one of the main issues with the P35-DS3R and sleep was due to the fact some people had their FSB set pretty high. Basically, once you went past a certain FSB limit, the PC would have issues with sleep. Unfortunately dunno what that certain FSB limit is besides it being greater than 1333FSB.
 
Ok. So I updated the BIOS. Once updated, I found the PEG setting and changed it. So I am good there. I have not unhooked any of the peripherals yet. And, I still haven't located "loadline"

I have a potential issue now, however. I reset all of my overclocking setting back up to test functionality. I set everything the same as it was before. In the BIOS it show 3.2GHz and in CPU-Z, it shows 3.2GHz when using a 7 multiplier. Windows, on the other hand, is only showing the CPU running at 2.8GHz. This was not the case prior to flashing the BIOS and Windows control panel would show 3.21GHz.

Is this a problem I need to address?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top