• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help deciding on 2.1 speaker setup

  • Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Guest
So I have some cheap Altec Lansing speakers that are 5.1 surround sound, however I only have the front left/right and center channel connected as I have no place for the rears to mount really. Therefore, I think a 2.1 speaker setup would be better for me.

Not sure what's good and what isn't, my only two requirements I think is having a "desktop remote" that I can physically control the sound. The speaker setup I have now has that and I love it. Especially being able to turn off the speakers to quickly mute the sound. I'd also like to be able to turn it up LOUD, as I sometimes play music on the computer where I can hear it in other parts of the house. (Small house)

I don't really have a budget, but I don't think I want to spend $200; however after doing a brief look through Newegg, I don't seem to see any speakers that fall between the cheap set and this set here:

$199.99 - Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-power 2.1 PC Speaker System

I am using on board sound on an ASUS P7P55D-E motherboard. Therefore I'm not entirely sure I can benefit from having such quality speakers.

The speaker setup I had/have now is I think a Altec Lansing VS-3151. While they are "okay" sometimes when turning the sound up a little loud or playing some sounds they would crack a little. Kind of annoying especially when playing music, don't really notice it much when I am gaming.

So help talk me out of spending $200 on a set of speakers I probably don't need, but I don't think I can be convinced to spend ~$30 on speakers and they sound good or last very long.
 
If you don't need rafter shaking bass you could easily grab some Polk or Pioneer bookshelves off Neweggfor $50-100 and a $25 T-amp from Parts Express and put together a more detailed and musical sounding setup for half the money.
 
I would second a set of bookshelf speakers and a T-amp. I went with that kind of set up after the amp from my Klipsch 5.1 Ultra died again

I got the Lepai LP-2020A+ ($30), Klipsch RB-10 ($150/pair), and a Polk PSW10 ($90)
 
If you don't need rafter shaking bass you could easily grab some Polk or Pioneer bookshelves off Neweggfor $50-100 and a $25 T-amp from Parts Express and put together a more detailed and musical sounding setup for half the money.

+Yup. That is about it for a budget setup. It will sound nice and clean too. Much more detail and realism in the sound than with a pc speaker setup. Maybe look into Swan speakers.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/inde...21_24&osCsid=b330198e7906d0407441d2374a2ef864
 
While I do like bass, it's not necessary I guess.

What t-amp would you recommend? I'm guessing a t-amp will be the "remote" that I'm wanting on my desk? I just went to partsexpress.com and typed in t-amp and a few of them popped up. Not sure which one is recommended.

How does that hook up exactly? t-amp connects to sounds card/computer and the speakers connect to the t-amp?


$24.48 - Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply
$99.99 - Pioneer SP-BS41-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair

That would be a better setup, sans bass, than the ones I posted above?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5578&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2748&seq=1&format=2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

Buy all of that and simply plug the mini to mini cable from your sound card into the amp and wire the speakers up. That is all you need for a very nice sounding stereo. If you want more, get a receiver and a subwoofer or two later on for some truly terrific sound.
 
You're correct on every count Skillz, The slightly smaller Pioneers space linked are half the price (tho they're nowhere near half the size/sound), so it's an alternative if you're unsure whether you'll like this kinda setup. Either of 'em will still have some bass, it just won't go as deep as a sub obviously but it'll be more controlled and defined. You can always add a quality sub later.
 
Bookshelf speakers are a great option.

I'm loving my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 ($100-$150) though. There simply isn't a comparable 2.1 set under $300 or so.

Room-shaking bass, volume and bass knobs, headphone and mic input on the right speaker.

It's just simply excellent. Look it up, they've been the reigning champs as far as 2.1 semi-budget computer audio goes for the last 10 years or so.
 
Bookshelf speakers are a great option.

I'm loving my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 ($100-$150) though. There simply isn't a comparable 2.1 set under $300 or so.

Room-shaking bass, volume and bass knobs, headphone and mic input on the right speaker.

It's just simply excellent. Look it up, they've been the reigning champs as far as 2.1 semi-budget computer audio goes for the last 10 years or so.

Sorry man but compared to the pioneers, the little t amp and just about any budget sub these days the promedia gets it's ass handed to it. 10 years ago they were convenient and loud but never what I would call good sounding.
 
It wouldn't even be much more expensive... Generally speaking $100 subs are considered mediocre but one such sub wouldn't be any worse than the Kplisch's, the T-amp and the Pioneer bookshelves are another $75... That's $175. You could easily get a halfway decent sub and still come in under $300.
 
Turns out I somehow pulled the plug out a little on the remote, which powers the system... after I pulled it all out, I noticed that was loose. So I set it up on the floor and it powered on just fine. Oh well, this new setup will be better anyway; especially since I can't make use of the rear speakers anyway.
 
Turns out I somehow pulled the plug out a little on the remote, which powers the system... after I pulled it all out, I noticed that was loose. So I set it up on the floor and it powered on just fine. Oh well, this new setup will be better anyway; especially since I can't make use of the rear speakers anyway.

Craigslist ftw. Enjoy the new sound. They should rock you pretty hard.
 
I posted this elsewhere a few minutes ago, but I love the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. Great for $150.
 
Crap, missed out on the speakers. They are $150 now. Think they will go on sale again?
 
Yeah, they go on sale like every month, don't sweat it. Might wanna keep an eye on the Infinity P153 too, they match up well against the Pioneers (might not go quite as low but it's probably better overall)...

Those have been on sale at least twice since you sarted this thread, they're regularly $75 (each, so $150 for the pair, same as the B42) and were marked down to $55. Crutchfield has the larger P163 at $85 each atm, not a great deal but not bad either.

Pretty sure I also saw the smaller Pioneers (BS21) on sale at Newegg twice thru July/August ($50 for the pair), I'm sure it won't be too long before the next one.
 
Okay cool, currently I'm rocking two Panasonic SB-HS950 bookshelf speakers. I'm not audiophile by any means but I can hear a difference for sure between these and the ones I used to have. Maybe it's just in my head, I don't know. I do know I can crank these babies up a LOT louder than I could with the old setup with almost no crackling.

Also using the motherboard sound card on my i7 870 system in my sig. Could going with a dedicated sound card really be as noticeable as switching speakers like this, now that I have a descent set of speakers.
 
Seen those p153s on newegg, at first I just skimmed past them as I want all black speakers. Upon further look though I seen they also have an all black screen cover that is included with them. You say over all they are better than those pioneers?
 
Seen those p153s on newegg, at first I just skimmed past them as I want all black speakers. Upon further look though I seen they also have an all black screen cover that is included with them. You say over all they are better than those pioneers?

I believe they are better. I don't know if they are 50% better. ;)
 
Well right now they are the same price as the pioneers and have been on sale for $10 more than the sale price of the pioneers. Worth it then?
 
Well right now they are the same price as the pioneers and have been on sale for $10 more than the sale price of the pioneers. Worth it then?

I was comparing them to the BS21s not the BS41s. I'd give the nod to the 41s. I've heard too many good things about them at the $199 price they launched at not to give them a shot at $150.
 
I was comparing them to the BS21s not the BS41s. I'd give the nod to the 41s. I've heard too many good things about them at the $199 price they launched at not to give them a shot at $150.

Oh I see. The 41s are the speakers I am looking at, not the 21s. With that being said, the 41s are priced at $150 now which is the same price as the P153s. Both speakers are known to go on sale, with the 41s hitting $99 and the P153s hitting ~$110.

What would you do?

Just buy the 21s at $100 right now?
Wait until the 41s go on sale?
Wait until the P153s go on sale?

Like I said, I'm currently rocking a set of Panasonic SB-HS950 which sound pretty good. Much better than what I had before, but they have little to no bass to them.
 
Both the 41s and 153s are better than the 21s. Whether you want to wait for either to go on sale is up to you. Its been said that the 41s are the best speakers in the line including the floorstanders.
 
Thanks, I'm think I'll just bite on which ever one goes on sale first between the 41s and 153s.
 
What did I do wrong?

I got everything hooked up, using those panasonic speakers.

However I hear a faint yet annoying buzzing noise coming from the speakers. Turning the amp off the noise stops.

It's extremely annoying. Possibly interference, but from what?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What did I do wrong?

I got everything hooked up, using those panasonic speakers.

However I hear a faint yet annoying buzzing noise coming from the speakers. Turning the amp off the noise stops.

It's extremely annoying. Possibly interference, but from what?

What amp do you have them hooked up to?
 
This buzzing noise is beyond annoying. I have the setup connected to my HTPC now and it still does it. If I disconnect the AMP from the computer the noise stops. Obviously turning the AMP off stops it also.

I am using a Lepai LP-2020A+ AMP w/ Panasonic (100W MAX) speakers.

I can connect the AMP to either one of my computers. HTPC or my main desktop rig and it buzzes.

I wonder if it could be the onboard sound? Would going with a PCI-e sound card solve this issue? I find it hard to believe that it's the onboard sound on two completely different motherboards though.
 
Back
Top