• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help debugging issues

rampantandroid

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
1,962
So...my system now reboots randomly...

-sometimes at boot up, sometimes after it's been running for a while.
-If it's been running for a while, sometimes I just get a hardlocked screen (no HD access, same screen displayed, the mouse does nothing...the keyboard does nothing)
-Sometimes at boot I just get a black screen (my monitor goes into power save, as it has no input) - in this case, the keyboard has no power - the backlight and the numpad light go out
-Sometimes I just get to the welcome screen...and I reboot all the way to POST and get this message afterwards:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

And every boot, I get these (one for each processor Windows sees, which is 8, though I have 4 physical cores):
Performance power management features on processor 5 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

-I've tried a new powersupply and it did not help
-I'm on a new videocard (my 5970 no longer outputs any DVI, so I moved to a GTX280)
-Since this started RIGHT after I replaced my 5970, I also tried an ancient S3 Savage 4 Pro PCI card...and immediatly got rebooted
-I ran memtest86+ for a little bit and saw nothing, but I moved to my Crucial memory I had lying around - with this I temporaryily seem stable - we'll see as I keep browsing.

I also reinstalled windows, which didn't help any.

Now, could this be my memory? It doesn't seem like memory would cause me to go from the welcome screen...to POST. Is this my motherboard being flakey?

I ask because if it's my mobo, I'm just going to drive to Fry's tomorrow and buy a new motherboard and deal with mine later.

Thanks!
RA
 
Could be either RAM or mobo.

You gotta run Memtest for at least 3 hours man.
 
Could be either RAM or mobo.

You gotta run Memtest for at least 3 hours man.

I know - I plan to put my Corsair ram back in and boot into memtest before I go to bed. If memtest is clean, can I safely assume it's my mobo? I really don't feel like replacing my mobo, but if that's what's wrong, I'll deal with it :p

Thanks!

Edit: Also, if it's my mobo, why is safe mode stable (as far as I could tell, from being in it for 10 minutes) as well as Memtest86+....but not full desktop windows? What is the difference that pushes it over the edge?

Moreover, if I get memtest errors, could those not be due to the mobo as well?
 
Last edited:
And memtest turned errors on my corsair memory, but showed no errors on my crucial memory. Time for an RMA I guess...
 
Yup. Sorry to hear it was the Corsair set.

Well, this is nothing new for me with Corsair. My Crucial memory is nothing special and it just works...my crucial was some of their XMS stuff, a 12GB set...and every time I go higher end with Corsair, I get burned. I think I'm 0/6 on Corsair sets for the last 7 years. :(

Better my RAM than my mobo anyway - one is easier to service - thanks for the help!
 
Back
Top