Need help choosing a ssd.

455olds

Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
801
250 gig would be nice but not sure if I really need that much space for my os and games. I plan on getting another big drive for recorded tv. The ssd is for the computer in my sig. I am getting a error message that one of my raid drives is failing.
Is this a good drive? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148349

Is this one worth the extra money? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167043

Or is there something else I should look at or should I just go with a 120gig drive? If i go with a 120 I will have enough to get a larger drive too.
This for ssd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167042
and for recorded tv storage. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136764
 
I'd personally get the c300. $110 isn't worth it for the intel drive, and the intel actually does random reads quite a bit slower than a c300. for an os drive, random reads are the most important you will need.

right now I'm not a heavy gamer (just a few games, nothing major) and I still use XP so my windows partition is only about 46gb being used. my 120gb raid array is more than enough for that usage. just check what your C:\ drive is now and see if you can fit it into 120 with room to spare.

if you can fit it, go for the 120gb / 3tb combo instead of the 256gb drive. I would recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348 over the intel one, but with such a low price gap either one will be fine.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4202/the-intel-ssd-510-review/4 is my reason for recommending the c300s over the intels.
 
You can compromise on the size and get a 160GB Intel 320 SSD. The 320 series is reliable, and performance is decent. And the 160GB 320 should be about $300.
 
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CTFDDAC56G&c=FR

if you're going for that one, get it there. they are legit. they also offer coupon codes all of the time, check their twitter to see if one is active for that. http://twitter.com/#!/SuperBiiz

you can use promo code SUPERHOT to save $5 off that price right now, so $424 for the 256 drive isn't too bad.

Thanks, I will go for that and at that price I can get a 3tb drive also.
Is this a good drive to go with?
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRSDTL 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136764
I can spend a little more if there is something faster you recommend. Sometimes fast forwarding tv shows hangs,not sure if that is due to hard drive speed?

EDIT
another question, do I need a caddy bracket for this to fit my antec 900? It came with a floppy drive bracket will that work? There will be no fan blowing on it if I use floppy bracket.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, I will go for that and at that price I can get a 3tb drive also.
Is this a good drive to go with?
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRSDTL 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136764
I can spend a little more if there is something faster you recommend. Sometimes fast forwarding tv shows hangs,not sure if that is due to hard drive speed?

EDIT
another question, do I need a caddy bracket for this to fit my antec 900? It came with a floppy drive bracket will that work? There will be no fan blowing on it if I use floppy bracket.

I personally use hitachi drives for storage. everyone has their "brand" and I'm sure that one will be fine. the drive a step up from the green would be http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145472 because it's 7200rpm, but that may not be worth the extra $30 to you. you can also take a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145493 which is another 5400 like the green, doesn't come with their little sata card, but $20 less. I have no clue the performance difference but I believe you'll be fine watching a tv show on any 3tb drive you pick.

for the bracket I have no idea. I had an empty 5.25 bay so I just stick my drive in there, it's not actually secured at all. I ordered a drive bay enclosure that will get here around tuesday, but so far I've been fine just leaving the drive there. I don't have a fan on it either, but I've never seen it go over 40C like that.
 
I ordered the cruical drive from superbiiz and the hitachi 3tb drive you linked.

I am going to get some rest and then read some reviews on this silverstone mount. Just want to make sure the holes will line up. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-SDP08-3-5-2-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B002BH3Z8E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/311toUdFJOL.@@AMEPARAM@@311toUdFJOL[/ame]
 
Back
Top