Need Help Choosing A PC Game

Draziom

Limp Gawd
I want to play a video game with my 9800GX2 at 1920x1200 and at a good normal playable frame rate. what games are popular and exciting and what do you guys recommend. I like Crysis but to play that comfortably i need another 9800GX2 and i don't have the money for that right now. i like FPS, Adventure, Platform, Sports, Action, Fighting, but no boring RPG's. Some RPG's are OK. what's an exciting cool graphic liquid game play game?

I havent played it yet but the new rainbow six vegas 2 looks pretty sweet.

other then that, everything said above is good.
Might want to give FEAR a try (super totally awesome fps)

do you guys think it would be beneficial to overclock my computer for better gaming?

i have:

4GB OCZ 800 RAM

P5E motherboard

q6600 processor

9800gx2 graphic card

vista 32 bit ultimate with sp1

500GB hard drive

1000watt PSU

*all stock.

i am playing bioshock, cod4 (sp), tf2 all at 19x12, all @ very high or max quality with the 9800gx2. i am playing crysis @ 16x10 dx10, no aa, all very high with gx2 quad. in answer to the question - yes, overclock that to at least 3200mhz, pref 34-36oomz. but you should get 3200 with minor tinkering. dont bother oc'ing the gx2, they dont oc very well with stock cooling, and also dont scale very well (10% oc give you maybe 2% bump in framerates)

i am playing bioshock, cod4 (sp), tf2 all at 19x12, all @ very high or max quality with the 9800gx2. i am playing crysis @ 16x10 dx10, no aa, all very high with gx2 quad. in answer to the question - yes, overclock that to at least 3200mhz, pref 34-36oomz. but you should get 3200 with minor tinkering. dont bother oc'ing the gx2, they dont oc very well with stock cooling, and also dont scale very well (10% oc give you maybe 2% bump in framerates)

so just overclock the processor? what about the memory? i was thinking of buying quad, do you think its worth it?

do you guys think it would be beneficial to overclock my computer for better gaming?

i have:

4GB OCZ 800 RAM

P5E motherboard

q6600 processor

9800gx2 graphic card

vista 32 bit ultimate with sp1

500GB hard drive

1000watt PSU

*all stock.

If you are looking to push the graphics experience I cannot see any reason to OC the CPU and if you get decent framerates don't bother OC'ing the GPU.

By the way you should play BioShock if you haven't already ;)

If you are looking to push the graphics experience I cannot see any reason to OC the CPU and if you get decent framerates don't bother OC'ing the GPU.

By the way you should play BioShock if you haven't already ;)

the other poster said its not really worth it to OC the GPU as it only gives a 2% bump in framerates. which is not much at all and not worth it. do you still think i should OC the CPU? how about the memory? should i leave everything stock? would vista 64 make my game playing better?

so just overclock the processor? what about the memory? i was thinking of buying quad, do you think its worth it?

if you go by this article

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=737&p=2

you get pretty much the same frame rates with an e8400 at stock or @ over 4ghz wth a gx2. as to whether quad sli is worth it, probably not, unless you have a 30" or more display and play a shitload of crysis, and also have more than half a yard burning a hole in your pocket. unless you are running a quad @ 3500 plus or an e84/8500 at above 4ghz the way to go would be 1 gx2 and a q9450. and use the change to take your girlfriend out for pizza.

I want to play a video game with my 9800GX2 at 1920x1200 and at a good normal playable frame rate. what games are popular and exciting and what do you guys recommend

I'm running Assassins Creed @ 2048x1536 everything set to max with a single 120% overclocked 8800GT, 4.1GHz E8400.
Fraps reports a never changing 88FPS (vsync off) and its smooth as butter so you can easily run this game at 1920x1200.

Edit:
I need to correct the above.
Fraps seems to not display the framerate correctly in Assassins Creed so I used Rivatuners Framerate monitoring graph and found the framerate with the above hardware is mostly around 42 to 60fps.
OP this game will fly on your machine.

Company of Heroes won't make your 9800GX2 cry but it's a damn beautiful and fun game. It's probably the best RTS to come out in the last few years.

if you go by this article

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=737&p=2

you get pretty much the same frame rates with an e8400 at stock or @ over 4ghz wth a gx2. as to whether quad sli is worth it, probably not, unless you have a 30" or more display and play a shitload of crysis, and also have more than half a yard burning a hole in your pocket. unless you are running a quad @ 3500 plus or an e84/8500 at above 4ghz the way to go would be 1 gx2 and a q9450. and use the change to take your girlfriend out for pizza.

so in conclusion its not worth it to OC my Intel Q6600?

Run Fraps and see what framerates you are getting.
Overclock and check again.

Without using Fraps, when a game is running too slow you will know.
If overclocking makes it not so slow you will notice.
If the game isnt running too slow then you dont need to overclock.

For me there are 3 significant levels, the first is around 30fps, then 45fps than 60fps.
There are higher ones but for the games I play, I dont achieve those framerates.

Around 30fps gives the first feeling that a game is smooth to play.
45fps looks and feels quite a bit smoother especially when spinning round.
60fps is very smooth and fluid.

For me there are 3 significant levels, the first is around 30fps, then 45fps than 60fps.
There are higher ones but for the games I play, I dont achieve those framerates.

Around 30fps gives the first feeling that a game is smooth to play.
45fps looks and feels quite a bit smoother especially when spinning round.
60fps is very smooth and fluid.

nice.so most games on average run around 30fps? the higher i OC the CPU i can achieve 60fps? what about RAM, do i have to OC that too if i OC the CPU?

Games run as fast as your hardware allows.
Running at lower resolution gets higher framerate and lowering the in game quality settings can also gain framerate.
Each game is different so you cannot generalise.

Run the game, see if its fast enough.
If not clock your machine.
If still not enough, lower some quality settings and/or lower the resolution.
If still not enough or you want the quality settings higher, upgrade your hardware.
Its best to buy a game you know will work ok with your hardware. Read the minimum requirements for the game to find out.

What you will need/be able to upgrade depends on what you already have, the options available and how much you can afford.
For example if you have an 8800GT + an Athlon 64 x2 or a slow C2D processor, you will benefit most from a CPU upgrade or a tremendous CPU overclock if lucky.
A faster graphics card will be a waste of money in this case.

The ram and CPU both clock up with the FSB so you may need to slow the ram down if you cant hit high enough FSB.
The motherboard also has a stable FSB limit so this can limit an overclock too.
When using a C2D machine it is best to run the memory 1:1 with the FSB (ie 400MHz FSB will give DDR2-800 speed --- DDR = Double Data Rate)
This gives best results for most scenarios.
If you cant keep 1:1, you need to buy faster memory or take a slight performance hit.

Read some overclocking guides, its quite an extensive subject.
The guides were written for just these sorts of questions.
If you have a C2D machine, the top link in this subforum is what you need.
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Google will help you locate more guides.

i have vista 32 bit with 4gb RAM and SP1 .. am i able to use most games max RAM to play smoothly or do i need to get vista 64?

the orange box is the best $50 I've ever spent on a game by a longshot. I'm totally addicted to TF2. That said, its based on an engine created in 2003.

In terms of superb graphics not based on the crytek engine, assassins creed comes to mind, but thats not an FPS games. Most FPS players say Assassins creed gets repeditive, but I don't think its any more repeditive then shooting someone. Oh COD4 of course, lol. That game is excellent. Its not the best looking engine in the world and when you see screen shots you might think "eww gross". But when you see everything moving around on screen its awesome. The nice thing about COD4 is that at its fundimentals its a really well done shooting system, but then every other mission youd doing something new like controlling Specter Gunship. Oh and bioshock! the water in that game is completly unreal. No multiplayer but the best single played I've seen in, well only a few months because of COD4 but besides that, the best single player I've seen in years (hah, since system shock 2 probably).

so: COD4, Bioshock, Crysis, Assassins creed. I think those are the best four engines currently on PC.

edit: oh definatly how could i forget, World in conflict, best looking RTS ever hands down.

If you want cool graphic, you should try out World in Conflict, a RTS game or try Assassin's Creed, it's got excellent eye candy but I must warn ya, everything beside the graphic is pathetic to the max. Everything is repeat and repeat over and over in that shitty game. Maybe you can stand it, but I seriously can't... I must be crazy for finishing it. Call of Duty 4 is a nice choice, but I personally don't think it looks that great when comparing what Crysis offers... its got some excellent gameplay nonetheless tho.

Bioshock for sure. One of the best game's I've ever played. To test your system, try Gears of War, and yet another shining title HAZE next month.

i have vista 32 bit with sp1 and 4gb ram, if i moved to vista 64 would i get better performance from games?

Back