need GenControl alternative for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by sabregen, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib [H]Lite

Yes same issue. Here is my output running as administrator:

Code:
    FeatureName
    -----------
    WCF-TCP-PortSharing45
    NetFx4-AdvSrvs
    NetFx3
    WCF-Services45
    WindowsMediaPlayer
    Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features
    NetFx4Extended-ASPNET45
    MediaPlayback
    RSATClient-Roles-RDS-LicensingDiagUI
    RSATClient-Roles-RDS-Gateway
    RSATClient-Roles-RDS
    RSATClient-Roles-RDS-LicensingUI
    MicrosoftWindowsPowerShellV2
    Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64
    RSATClient-Features-NetworkControllerTools
    MicrosoftWindowsPowerShellV2Root
    Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package
    Microsoft-Hyper-V-Guest-Integration-Drivers-Package
    Printing-Foundation-InternetPrinting-Client
    FaxServicesClientPackage
    Microsoft-Windows-Printing-XPSServices-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Client-EmbeddedExp-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-NetFx-VCRedist-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Package
    SearchEngine-Client-Package
    TelnetClient
    Printing-XPSServices-Features
    MSRDC-Infrastructure
    SMB1Protocol
    Printing-Foundation-Features
    Xps-Foundation-Xps-Viewer
    WorkFolders-Client
    RSATClient-Roles-DamgmtTools
    RSATClient-Roles-FileServices-Dfs
    RSATClient-Roles-FileServices-SR
    RSATClient-Roles-AD-DS-AdministrativeCenter
    RSATClient-Roles-FileServices
    RSATClient-Features-Clustering
    RSATClient-Features-BitLocker
    RSATClient-Roles-FileServices-Nfs
    RSATClient-Roles-FileServices-FSRM-Management
    RSATClient-Features
    RSATClient-ServerManager
    RSATClient
    RSATClient-Roles
    RSATClient-Roles-AD-DS-SnapIns
    RSATClient-Roles-AD-Powershell
    RSATClient-Roles-AD
    RSATClient-Roles-AD-DS
    RSATClient-Roles-DHCP
    RSATClient-Features-NICTeaming
    RSATClient-Roles-WSUS-API
    RSATClient-Roles-WSUS-UI
    RSATClient-Roles-RemoteAccessMgmtTools
    RSATClient-Roles-RemoteAccessPowerShell
    RSATClient-Features-IPAM
    RSATClient-Features-LoadBalancing
    RSATClient-Roles-DNS
    RSATClient-Roles-CertificateServices
    RSATClient-Features-ShieldedVMTools
    RSATClient-Roles-VA
    RSATClient-Features-GP
    RSATClient-Roles-WSUS
    RSATClient-Roles-CertificateServices-CA
    RSATClient-Roles-CertificateServices-OnlineResponder

2. Minkus

Minkus n00bie

Hi,

You have the following packages installed that I don't:

Code:
    Microsoft-Hyper-V-Common-Drivers-Package
    Microsoft-Hyper-V-Guest-Integration-Drivers-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Printing-XPSServices-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Client-EmbeddedExp-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-NetFx-VCRedist-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Package
    RSATClient-Roles-CertificateServices
    And I have:

Code:
    TIFFIFilter
    The only one I imagine could be relevant is 'Microsoft-Windows-NetFx-VCRedist-Package'. What version of Windows 10 are you running? (run winver from command line)

3. libertytrek

libertytrek n00bie

Glad to see you're still around Muad'Dib! Well, I hop[e you are, since its actually been a while since your last post...

Maybe you could revisit and consider some of the features we listed a while back you said you'd consider adding (I went back and compiled a list from the last discussion):

1. Allow an option to save (or not) the last workstation connected to when disconnecting.

I update workstations remotely a lot, and will reconnect to the same one 3 or 4 times when rebooting, so it is very convenient - for me- to have it remember the last one connected to.

2. Allow sorting on 'Recent Hosts' and/or 'Description' fields by clicking on the column headers.

This would eliminate the need for two different icons and the 'wrapper' script - one for sorting on the 'Recent Hosts' field and one for sorting on the 'Description' field - that I have to run now.

3. Remember the last sorted order and do a full resort on that field when launched.

4. Remember the last window position - or, be able to specify a specific position relative to the top right corner.

5. Ability to configure where the .log and .tmp files are stored (currently hardcoded to be stored in "%AppData%\RemoteControl").

6. Autocomplete search ability when typing in the hostname or Description fields

Anyone else feel free to add to this list...

4. libertytrek

libertytrek n00bie

Oops, sorry, I was looking at your join date, not the post date. So, scratch that last part... ;)

5. scooter42

scooter42 n00bie

6. scooter42

scooter42 n00bie

Just checking to see if there's been an update.

7. ITN1nja

ITN1nja n00bie

Oh, no! I missed an update! Anyone have a link to 1.9.1??

8. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib [H]Lite

9. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib [H]Lite

When I last checked in on this, I narrowed it down to an issue with .net framework and the event log. Errors like this are prevalent in internet land, but with no real resolution. I thought I tried compiling with a newer version of .net Framework and it didn't fix it.. but I will have to double check. I personally haven't had any issues with it.. but it seems quite a few have a problem.

10. ITN1nja

ITN1nja n00bie

It might just be the IE I'm forced to run at work. IE is a real thorn in my side!

11. TriTrix

TriTrix n00bie

Came across this forum post a while back after someone passed me a copy of remote control, I think its an awesome tool as I was aware of Gencontrol (this forum post being one of the first to come up in google when you look for it)

I was using an older version of it with a hacky vbscript wrapper to make sure the correct services etc were started which seems to work quite well but checked back to see if a newer version had been written but 1.9.1 was still giving me "Timed out" errors when connecting to Windows 10 so i did some digging

although i feel like i have walked into someones house and taken a look into their fridge and are now making comments on their choice of yogurt (apologies), I have pulled apart the application to try and work out why it would fail on some Windows 10 PCs here.

Your RemoteCIsWin7Plus function seems to query Win32_OperatingSystem WMI class of the remote machine and pull out the version and determine if it matches the string 6 which is the case on windows 7 but has been changed to 10.0.XXXX on Windows 10 which is returning false and not running the functions to start the RemoteRegistry and create the SAS keys when being called by your Background workers, as a quick test i have modified your assembly and set this function to always return always which fixes this problem for me.

Also, although doesn't stop the application from functioning it uses the TightVNC's inbuilt start functions to launch which leaves a duplicate process on the other machine running as my privileged account which i am not sure how i feel about at the moment, starting the server using the SC commands fixes this problem which is how it was in a much earlier version but was changed for some reason.

Just wanted to say thanks Muad'Dib for the hard work you have put in to this tool so all of us would not have to do what you did and write our own.

12. hipsterdoofus

hipsterdoofus Limp Gawd

Thanks for looking into that. I'm sure all of us who have used this tool would love to see those changes implemented so it works more consistently on win 10.

13. OldNESJunkie

OldNESJunkie n00bie

14. scotty5622

scotty5622 n00bie

What ports are needed for that utility? I've tried 5900 for vnc and 139 and 445 for psexec. It will connect if I disable the firewall so I'm still missing something.

15. OldNESJunkie

OldNESJunkie n00bie

Those should be the three ports, all inbound. Make sure to open those ports for whichever firewall profile you are running, I.E. Domain, Private, or Public on the remote computer.

You also need access to be able to write to C$ or admin$ on the remote computer as well.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  16. libertytrek

libertytrek n00bie

I see some questions about problems with Windows 10 with Remote Control, but I'm not seeing any issues at all - well, one (it doesn't auto-lock the remote workstation when I disconnect), so am wondering what the problems are...

I'm still running an older version though (1.7.3) due to the annoying UAC prompt with newer versions...