Need for Speed: Rivals

You can't even remap controls??

What the fuck is this shit? This has to be the worst NFS ever, based on features alone.

It's a lazy ass game wrought with horrible design decisions and laziness on the developers part.

God, every time a new NFS comes out I remember all the good games they had in the series that ended with Most Wanted(05 version).

It's a damn shame they have been driving this series into the ground ever since. And I've played most of them but I only rent them these days.

The 30fps thing is sad

can you use a gaming wheel?

I'm sorry but that tutorial is the most lazily put together piece of shit I've ever seen.

Has anyone found a way to remap the Xbox controls? I hate using the left button for the brake! :mad:

How do I enable AA in this game?

This thread, just keeps on giving
What an incredible game, if incredible means catastrophic failure of basic functionality... wow

Not to mention the price tag on this thing. Way to go EA. I guess you ran out of other franchises to blow your putrid load on, that you have to start fucking your original IP's too, eh?

I'm confused as to how you can work at a big studio and come out with such a shitty game. They're not even working on some kind of epic RPG; it's a fucking ARCADE racer.

Honestly though, has there ever been a good NFS game?

1, 3, High Stakes, Porsche Unleashed.

Hot pursuit 2 was crap because the helicopter cops throwing barrels from the sky completely broke the last races in the game.

Hot pursuit 3 was decent. I did not like that half the game was cop mode though. That made half the game boring to me. Never finished that part.

Then there is most wanted...... Burnout Paradise 2.

Yeah, they have completely forgot how to make a good NFS game.

Well, I am not having any issues with the game.

Applied the command line shortcut and game runs at 60 fps stat.
Applied 8xSGSSAA through NV inspector and have AA that is downright gorgeous (sometimes textures flicker but like once in a 30 minute playing session)
Got connected to people in my country easily and had 6 full list
Can easily bank points
Remapped all keyboard controls

Not sure what's up with people. Tutorial lasted about 15 minutes. Fine, big deal :rolleyes:
Thrills are there. Going to be spending a lot of time with this one :D.

I liked NFS Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted and that's pretty much it. Well that I played any way.

Which Most Wanted? The one from 2012 was horseshit IMO. The mods were lame and it seemed like the story was nonexistant with the driving being so-so.

Hot Pursuit (2010) is probably my favorite "modern" NFS. Shift 2 was great for a more realistic experience.

Which Most Wanted? The one from 2012 was horseshit IMO. The mods were lame and it seemed like the story was nonexistant with the driving being so-so.

Hot Pursuit (2010) is probably my favorite "modern" NFS. Shift 2 was great for a more realistic experience.

The only most wanted I played was the 2005 version. Hot Pursuit 2010 was fun but it was so broken I never got to progress in it. As far as story and realism, well I don't exactly equate those with the Need for Speed franchise.

The only most wanted I played was the 2005 version. Hot Pursuit 2010 was fun but it was so broken I never got to progress in it. As far as story and realism, well I don't exactly equate those with the Need for Speed franchise.

Did you ever play Shift 2? It was really good when it came out and it's still good I think. From what I read(I'm not really an active sim/realistic type player so I don't want to go with my opinion on this) people really liked it for the realism and helmet cam. Only broken part was drifting, impossible without a keyboard or controller I think.

As for Hot Pursuit, you should try it again sometime, nothing like drifting through a corner at 200mph :D

Did you ever play Shift 2? It was really good when it came out and it's still good I think. From what I read(I'm not really an active sim/realistic type player so I don't want to go with my opinion on this) people really liked it for the realism and helmet cam. Only broken part was drifting, impossible without a keyboard or controller I think.

As for Hot Pursuit, you should try it again sometime, nothing like drifting through a corner at 200mph :D

I didn't play Shift. I played Carbon but didn't care for it. I skipped all of them outside of NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 which again I couldn't play. I may give it another shot as I did have a lot of fun with it on the rare occasions it worked.

People who say that last year's most wanted was crap clearly did not spend enough time with it.
Anyways, I am enjoying this game. As always the obligatory Thank God for NVidia and 8xSGSSAA. I can't imagine how hard it would be to play without any AA.

Game itself is pretty good. Love the part where you have to rush to the hideout. Only downside is that everyone seems to be playing their own game and I have yet to had a run in with real life players although I see them around. They are just too far away. :(

People who say that last year's most wanted was crap clearly did not spend enough time with it.
Anyways, I am enjoying this game. As always the obligatory Thank God for NVidia and 8xSGSSAA. I can't imagine how hard it would be to play without any AA.

Game itself is pretty good. Love the part where you have to rush to the hideout. Only downside is that everyone seems to be playing their own game and I have yet to had a run in with real life players although I see them around. They are just too far away. :(

I played through the entire campaign. There was no story, the races were kind of dull after a while, the upgrading sucked donkey balls and the cars felt the same most of the time. I don't know if you ever played the first Most Wanted, but if you did, you will know this was just a money grab with the title. The graphics were fine though, nothing wrong with those.

I played through the entire campaign. There was no story, the races were kind of dull after a while, the upgrading sucked donkey balls and the cars felt the same most of the time. I don't know if you ever played the first Most Wanted, but if you did, you will know this was just a money grab with the title. The graphics were fine though, nothing wrong with those.

Graphics are always a strong point in the series relative to the period the game was released in.

What didn't you like about NFS II?

The physics felt way off and wreaks just weren't as exciting as the first game. Also they did away with point to point maps. The car showcases were much weaker, just a weaker production in general. Not a bad game, but kind of a weak sequel. 3 was a return to form.

Wow, the gameplay in this game is exhilarating. Lost my speed points at least 4 times and wanted to break something lol. Rain and storm effects are absolutely maddening at night. It is just a visual bliss. Also, the music really fills my testicles with uneasy feeling. I am loving this game a lot!

I don't know who was saying that effects are missing since I don't see it. I am having rain, fog, snow, storm, night and sand all over the screen. The funny thing is cars are always wet as if someone took a hose to them.

Love the game. 9/10 for fun. Can't wait to unlock those Ferraris. :D

Oh, how I miss the glorious NFS2:SE days. No annoying story mode, no progression, no unlockables. All in all, the game offered nothing but lots of fun, including Wild mode.

Burnout Paradise is the last good racing game published by EA. Things are completely FUBAR now. I don't think they will ever learn. If anything, it's getting worse and worse.

I'm still having fun with this game, too. It's mindless, but fun.
I don't want another weird Burnout Paradise/NFS mash-up. I'd rather have an old school Burnout like 1-3 and Revenge. Give me pure chaos and bring back the giant accident mode.
For NFS, I think this one could have been a throwback if it weren't for the weird "plot" (if that's what you even call it) and the graphical limitations. With the 60fps fixed and community graphical boosts it looks great, though.

Was looking to put this game on the xmas list but I won't bother yet.

As for others in the series, hot pursuit from 96 and 2010 are good IMHO, as for the multi core issue on HP 2010, I have zero issues and i'm running it on a 12c/24t 2p rig.

Most wanted from 2012 is good too, yes it is an arcade racer but that's what I prefer anyway

I wonder if EA cares enough to actually create a Mantle patch for this. It seems like they put it out as fast as possible and are moving on.

There's a command line workaround for that, apparently. Even with the cap you can increase detail and effects with the resources (theoretically) freed by mantle

I was immediately turned off by the game when I played it, it seems like PC was a complete afterthought.

Netcode isn't bad at all. I've run into 1-2 weird people warping around...but that's the case with almost any game. The joys of free Wi-Fi still = online play.
The 60fps fix has been bulletproof on my end. I've never had any FPS drop outs, but my guess is that's why the game is locked at 30. The devs were probably told to get the game out the door and to worry about it later.
My weirdest gripe is actually the rearview mirror...or borderline lack of one. You can only see this weird haze and other cars/cops when they're literally right on top of you. You can see that in the videos. At first I thought it was my system, but it seems that it's somehow intentional.

netcode is peer-to-peer with all its flaws.
its okay if it connects to ppl near you, but i had matchmaking connect me to chinese guys. it was dreadful. thankfully switching lobby takes like 30sec

netcode is peer-to-peer with all its flaws.
its okay if it connects to ppl near you, but i had matchmaking connect me to chinese guys. it was dreadful. thankfully switching lobby takes like 30sec

I'm not surprised. A dedicated server with lower overhead and more options would indicate a development team that actually cared about the PC, and wanted to leverage it's strengths to make the best game they could. Clearly, NFS: Rivals has proven to be the opposite of that.

Well, since it's $35 for cyber monday, and I really want to play another "next-gen" game, I caved and bought it. Will update with impressions later on how it runs with a mid-tier PC.

Back