Need for Speed ProStreet performance

Dephcon

[H]ard|Gawd
What kind of performance are people getting with the new NFS?

I just installed it, and fresh nvidia drivers and I cant seem to get over 26 fps. I know my hardware is dated (upgrading in dec/jan) but i cant even get playable frames at 640x480 with ALL the settings set to low and all the effects turned off. I was able to play COD4 at 1680x1050 with decent quality and smoothish frames, so i dunno wtf.

Is anyone else having issues with prostreet?

There is something weird about this game.. It just seems so damn slow no matter what settings I use..

Not really the best place to say this; But damn the physics in this game suck. EA never learns. I really wanted to like this game, but damn.. :p

C2D 6750
8800GTS
2Gb

the NFS titles these past few years haven't impressed me much, and I expect that trend to keep continuing, there's only so much you can do with a game-type like this.

wow if its slow on your GTS maybe its a driver thing, unless the game is totally fucked

i'd bet on the game not being optimized before blaming drivers, the past few NFS titles on PC haven't ran all that great too.

Great game if you want to know what a hovercraft feels like to drive. :D

The last proper NFS was Porsche. Even NFS3 had better physics than this.. Its quite unbelievable how EA manages to make worse games every year.

this game is shit

the cars are the WORST driving ive ever had in a nfs game and the graphics are worse than all the ones since underground

From the reviews I heard the game is not good at all. They tried to make all the street racing in the game legal, which in real life its legal, but not always. The game just looks like half ass, not even worth downloading off torrent. EA's work at its worst.

Anyone looking to buy this game, check out some videos of it and draw your own conclusion, for me personally it looks like garbage.

I don't know. I've been playing for some time now and am having a blast. You gotta take it for what it is, and 'tune' your cars not only for better performance, but also to compensate for having to use a keyboard. Mainly the steering ratios. Once I figured that out my racing fleet of 67 Camaros have been awesome.

EDIT: Perofrmance wise ive got everything maxed, 1680x1050, 4xAA @ about 35-55fps. This is on a x2 5200 and 8800GTX.

runs smooth enough for me on the specs in my sig at max except shadows at medium (dont care for them really, so free performance :p ) at 1024x768...

Well, it probably follows after Carbons engine which needs alot of shader power to run the game and anyone will see bad performance with a Geforce 7 or less, the ATI x1900 series ran carbon good from what i remember, so i'd also say that it run prostreet pretty well.

It plays like poop on my SLI 7800GT's. 1280x1024, and the controls definately suck using a playstation analog controller.

The last game i liked after a 2nd try was Most Wanted which has issues with dual cores. Carbon was crap, and EA never seems to wanna drop the Drag racing which I hate.

The need for speed games have always had shite game engines. Stuttering, low frame rates even on the high end rigs, They seem to run better on ati hardware. I even get stutters on my rig with carbon and most wanted (every other high end/newer game runs like butter). I know this has been stated before but games from smaller companies ie flat out 2 run far better and arguably look better than the nfs series. Bunch of lazy programmers if u ask me.

Perfectly smooth.

1920x1200, 4xAA
Max on all for car quality.

Max on world lighting quality, but I think the other 3 settings under world graphics are turned off. I had them all on and it created hitching. I haven't taken the time to figure out which setting exactly puts me over the edge of playable framerates.

So far I really like it. The physics engine was a major overhaul and grip racing feels more like a driving simulator again, vs. the arcadey feel of the past 3-4 games since PU. Roommate can't stand it, he can't seem to turn, and flies off the road. Can't grasp the concept of braking and modulating throttle and steering. It's difficult with a keyboard, this game probably would greatly benefit from an investment in a good steering wheel setup. I have a feeling a lot of people that wanted the noob arcadey style racing game will fit in this category.

The only thing I really don't like so far is you have to upgrade multiple cars simultaneously, drag, grip, and drifting so far. And not enough money from racing to fuel all the things I want to buy from them :eek:

I don't even like the drag racing, nor the drifting, game can do without it. Wish I didn't have to deal with either of those two modes =(

Also kinda weird, right off the bat, can go straight to buying Stage 3 items, used to be, you were restricted to stage 1, and had to unlock newer things slowly. There is no reason to waste money on stage 1 and 2, just save up or repeat a race or two and go straight to the stage 3 upgrades. Depending on if you are trying to stay in class or not.

I fun fully tuning out my Silva but making sure I stay in Class 1. It's massively easy racing with it. As it's right on the hairy edge of Class 1- 2, but game pairs Class 1 cars with it.

The only real downside is, it's not a real Need For Speed game if you aren't illegally racing through the countryside running from the cops :mad:, except I'll let PU slide since that was oh so pwn. They need to go back to the original European theme of the earlier games with this new engine. Would love that.

I haven't played the full game, only the demo but I was getting around 40fps with FRAPS at 1280X1024 with everything set to High with Max AA/AF. However, I tend to agree that the handling is bizarre and doesn't feel right. I got burned on Carbon last year so I'm wary of purchasing this one.

Blah, I _LOVE_ racing games, but I cannot play this one. I can't finish the first race day race with a respectable position. I am very good at racing games, but this delayed turning is unbelievable. It's absolutely unplayable for me. I just wish they had Gran Turismo for the PC, I loved those games.

they need to make a NFS:Most Wanted 2

Most fun racing in that game, better graphics, better scaled cop system, some neat "tools" to outrun cops with. Having to race, get chased and then finishing the race and having to hide your car was good fun, and the added element of cops helps bad players do better by setting the cops on the lead cars.

Blah, I _LOVE_ racing games, but I cannot play this one. I can't finish the first race day race with a respectable position. I am very good at racing games, but this delayed turning is unbelievable. It's absolutely unplayable for me. I just wish they had Gran Turismo for the PC, I loved those games.

Agreed.

Forza 2 physics for Most Wanted and you've just made GOTY. :cool:

I actually played the 360 version of this game before playing the PC version. The 360 version looked great and ran very smooth. I figured "well hell..if it runs this good on the 360, my PC is going to blow it away". Well I was wrong. I'm in the same boat as most of you. Everything turned off, graphics turned way down, and SLI forced on, the game still runs like junk. Well junk IMO. I can get 35-45 fps in the game most of the time. Dips to 20 or below fps and jumps to 90 fps in spots ( using fraps ).
However, if you are into racing games as much as I am ( DiRT, Toca 3, GTR 2, Moto GP 07 even though it's not sold in the US because THQ is retarded, Sega Rally Revo, Viper Racing even though none of you probably remember it, etc ), you know the importance of running at a steady 60+ framerate.
I hope this game is optimized and fixed to run better. But knowing EA, it won't be.

BTW: If you haven't played MOTO GP 06 on the 360 or MOTO GP 07 on the 360 or PC, I highly recommend it. There are threads available on several different sites about engine setups which are pretty much required if you want to compete online. Moto GP 07 isn't sold for the PC in the US apparently. I got mine from the UK. If you can get a copy, you should. Best racing game in the history of all racing games IMO. Honestly. You SHOULD use an XBOX or an XBOX 360 controller to play it, but I've tried it with a joystick and a racing wheel and both were easier actually for me, but not as fun :D

Just to chime in with my own experience.

Running the game at 1280x800, with graphical options set to the least demanding settings as possible (i.e. either off or low, if off isn't an option). I don't have FRAPS handy but it's very evident the framerates are very low when in a race. I'd guesstimate around ~15fps.

Here's the specs:
x64 3000+
some s754 MSI motherboard
1GB RAM
7900GT 256MB (169.09 drivers)

I'd rather see a new NFS with the physics/details/customization of NFS5, open roads of TNFS, police of NFS3/4 and a return to exotic cars without any of this silly ricing fad that the fast and furious spawned. Not to mention a return to electronic rock/techno music for racing as the music they include these days is only worthy of being disabled so I can play TNFS/NFS2/NFS3/NFS4/NFS5 soundtracks in the background.

for me im not even going to download the demo....i know my computer wont dream of playing it :(

But on the flip side.....my favorite NFS game is NFS: Underground 2 by far :cool:
Nice options for body, audio, spinners, ect......something you dont get in any of the other NFS games after.

I own NFS Most Wanted Black Edition........but.......once my car gets to level 3 cops....im done :eek::( (in other words...me and the cops just dont work)

So theres my .02

Great game if you want to know what a hovercraft feels like to drive. :D

The last proper NFS was Porsche. Even NFS3 had better physics than this.. Its quite unbelievable how EA manages to make worse games every year.

couldn't have said it better myself

im running it maxed out on everything at 1680 and my fps never goes below 35. its usually @ 60, vsync on 'cause this game has a fps issue in the menu for me.

I run it on my x1900xt with everything turned up other than AA at 1920x1080... and I have no problems. I might try it with AA later, but to me it really isn't that big of a difference. I don't notice jagged edges when things are moving quickly.

Q6600 + 8800GT
1920x1200 everything maxed out, video card and game settings-
40-60fps..

That's good to see some benches from people with 8800GTs. I'm getting one in the mail soon and was curious if this card was going to fix my 10-20fps with my 7900GTOs (GTX bios flashed) sli setup.

Most fun racing in that game, better graphics, better scaled cop system, some neat "tools" to outrun cops with. Having to race, get chased and then finishing the race and having to hide your car was good fun, and the added element of cops helps bad players do better by setting the cops on the lead cars.

Agreed.
Most Wanted with Carbon's sculpt tools, some graphic improvements and the car destructibility of Pro Street and I'm SOLD!

little rant:

from reading over this thread, it seams it the SAME FUCKING SHADER SHIT over again. Anyone remember Carbon? remember how the shaders were fucked up? how you could not run them at anything higher than medium without it being like 20-30fps, and medium made the game look like ass.

EA, go back to Most Wanted and make a sequel, stop making crappy versions of NFS.

I like it now, took some time getting used to it, the cars do feel a bit heavy, but not all of them, It's alot harder then previous games, maybe they made it a bit more simulation and a bit less arcade this time
and it runs fine on my 3850 256m @ 1600x1200

my only gripe? the career map is by far the worst UI I have ever used

The game seems to have all cameras act as they are real cameras, cameras that shake a lot and make the game look like your fps is going to shit, when in reality its not.

/|\ Agreet, I hate that shaking, and then when it shift its all smooth, and then back to shaking... :mad:

Sad what has happened to the NFS series.

They were my favorite years back when i played them on PC, then I got most wanted and that was awesome on PS2. They had a unique feel to them that separated them from your normal arcade or sim racing game.

Now they all just feel weird and are not the same. The physics just feel off. The underground ones were stupid as well, all that stupid spinners and ricer crap. I just want awesome cars and unique feel of the earlier games with better graphics and some more updated cars as well (why not :cool: ).

Honestly though, all the new racing games out besides a select few just seem to have their physics messed up. It feels like you are driving a box around that weights 50 tons cause it never has any body roll or can leave the pavement at all :eek:

I will say on the Prostreet for XB360 if you want to have some fun do the speed trap one, go into king mode, Clutch + Manual. Floor it and drop the clutch and make some mad smoke off the line. Then get going as fast as you can and watch your car fly over them hills (literally), just watch your landing....I landed on top of the car in front of me a few times and that does not end up good to say the least (at 160+ MPH).

I feel the same about the NFS series turning to shit with the last couple installments as many of you do.

The games prior to Underground are great.

I skipped both Underground installments because cooking rice =/= racing.

Most Wanted was awesome, I totally loved it (a little ricey, but I can live with it since the cop chases more than make up for it).

I bought Carbon, beat it in 3 evenings, sighed as I realized it didn't even come close to MW, and haven't had the desire to play it or buy any future NFS games. Well, unless they really step it up and make that MW 2.... but this is EA we're talking about here.

The sad thing is a lot of kids like these brainless skill-less racers. Its like how a lot of people complain about Forza 2 being too hard (most of my stupid friends did and they are even older than an average "kid"). Racing games have gone down easy street cause thats what the majority likes.

I can agree to a certain point...some racing games are just way to hard and it gets annoying doing 15x 4minute long laps around a track only to lose by .16 of a second and have to do it all over again. But there is something about it being too easy and just not any fun.

I loved toying with the cops on MW. So much fun :cool:

...I know this has been stated before but games from smaller companies ie flat out 2 run far better and arguably look better than the nfs series. Bunch of lazy programmers if u ask me.

Thank you from mentioning Flatout2. For one of those strange reasons that nobody knows why, I totally overlooked this game. I belive it's due to the fact that I had a Ti4200 back when it was released and the game required SM2.0 to play. Anyway, I just downloaded the demo and I don't remember having so much fun in a racing game in a very long time. I'm purchasing this game tomorrow without a doubt :D

Back