• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need for more than one optical drive?

Do you require more than one optical drive?

  • Yes

    Votes: 29 54.7%
  • No

    Votes: 24 45.3%

  • Total voters
    53

beav

n00b
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
35
I was wondering, do you guys "need" more than one optical drive these days now that there are dual-layer DVD-R/RW+R/RW CD-R/RW combo drives?

If so, why?
 
Since I spent $125 on a Plextor DVD-RW, I decided to keep in my regular DVD-ROM for installing stuff and ripping CD's since I'd rather wear out a cheap drive than a higher dollar unit. Plus I can disc to disc copy.
 
I'll leave this poll here "downstairs" in DSS rather than move it "upstairs" to O&B - it will get more exposure here ;) With that said, I usually go with one. However, my dad, who has a CD-RW backup disk in all the time, a CD burner for making music CDs, and a pair of DVD burners for movie backup work, he needs four optical drives :eek: (I voted yes, as my HTPC has two, DVD RW and DVD ROM)
 
i use at least 2 so i can do disc to disc. thats about the only time i need 2, though.
 
hrm, interesting. Good to know.
The reason i ask is because i'm designing a case, and if i can save on a 5 1/4" bay, then the chasis will naturally be smaller.

oops sorry, i didn't see the O&B forum up there.
 
i have a el cehapo cd-rom and a dual format dvd/cd-rw.

It's nice to do disk to disk...when I actually don't just download crap....but do I need it so to speak....

No


Most people do not actually need 2. You can do a disk to disk by clikcing copy enitre cd....
Takes longer but it takes the need out for the 2nd drive.

Unless you do mass burning or movies you only need 1.
 
I use 2....

A standard Sony DVD-Rom for playing games and movies etc, because its much quieter
 
the only need for a second drive would be to get faster ripping speeds. My NEC-3500 is really slow (even with the 'patched' firmware)
 
I have one DVD-Rom and a DVD Burner, this comes in handy when i want to watch 2 movies back to back without having to switch dvds etc etc, copy from one disc to another. My friend who just has a dvdburner gets errors when trying to backup a dvd using DVD X Copy, while i get no errors cause X Copy automatically burns to dvd, so i would say its useful to have 2 optical drives, preferably dvd readers
 
Using 3 right now. Lite-On 832S DVDRW for general ripping and DVD movie watching, Lite-On 52327S for CDR/RW writing (one of the best drives ever built!), and a new Benq 1640 for urgent (16X!!) DVD ripping and writing DVDs.
 
I have two. My DVD-RW and slightly old but but still one the best cd-rw drives the yamaha cdr-f1. It the only cd burner I know of that has an 8mb buffer and I paid too much money for it to just get rid of it.
 
nice to have when cloning\copying from optical to optical
but no I dont "have" to have one the extra step of ripping to the HDD or array is a pain though
its easy enough to rip an ISO and then mount it to a "virtual" Optical drive
(Daemon Tools) but the extra step is a hassle
 
I've got 2, so when I'm working on ripping DVD's and such... i can do 2 at once. For a short period I had 2 burners in, untill one made it's way to my HTPC. Having dual burners when having to make 50 copies of something is fantastic
 
I use two on my work tower, because I make copies of a lot of image CDs and DVDs. At home, I only use one, which is my Plextor burner. In most cases, 1 is fine, but 2 is okay.

What irks me to no end is when I see people with three and four drives. Absolutely no point for that.
 
djnes said:
What irks me to no end is when I see people with three and four drives. Absolutely no point for that.

There is when you have deadlines and you have to burn multiple discs at once where one has content coming from a hard disk and the other from a CD or DVD.
 
Back
Top