Need advice

Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
7
Okay,

I'm planning on doing a build in the next week or two here, and I'm having a hard time picking a lane. After some research, I decided to go with a C2D 6400, and had initially planned on pairing it with a P5B-E, and this this RAM. However, after reading up a bit on this and other forums, I've become concerned that perhaps I'd be better off going with the P5B Deluxe, and this RAM.

Now, my goal is to keep cost down as much as humanly possible; I don't have a lot of dough to spend, so every penny saved is crucial. I do plan on doing some overclocking, however; I plan on using a Arctic Air 7, and I'm hoping on running at ~3.0GHz. Crossfire is dead to me, because after my experience with Radeon 9800pro AIW I'm using now, I'm pretty well done with ATI.

So what I'm asking comes down to this:

1. do the features and overclockability of the Deluxe justify the extra $32, given my priorities? I mainly ask because of RAM voltage issues (IIRC, the E is limited to 2.2V), though if anyone knows of any other reasons to go with the Deluxe, I'm all ears.

2. the C2D overclock guide at Tom's "forumz" suggests 4-4-4-xx RAM for 6300's and 6400's; is this important enough to justify the extra $15?

Thanks for any help; there's just sooooo many friggin' options, it's really hard to pick one thing and feel good about it (I'm still a bit worried about going with a 965 instead of a 975).
 
Since your goal is "only" 3.0Ghz, you can pretty much get whatever DDR2 800 memory you want. At the lowest muliplier (running 1:1), you can run that memory up to 3.2Ghz and still be within stock parameters. The CAS 4 vs. 5 isn't going to affect you too much. I think that some would suggest the 4-4-4 memory because you can loosen the timings to 5-5-5 and have more OCing headroom over DDR2 800 speed. This is important for getting the E6300 as fast as you can get it to go because even with the lowest divider you still need DDR2 1000 memory speeds to max out the CPU.

If you're looking to save money, I would get the E6300, the P5B-E, but I would get 2x1GB sticks Cas 4 sticks (like these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034 ). You should be able to get it to 3.0Ghz and save the extra cash. Or you could get the E6400 and then you wouldn't really have to worry about spending extra on the memory. It would probably even out :).

I think you'd be fine with a 965 board. I've used both with my E6600 and I can't really tell a big difference.
 
kirbyrj said:
Since your goal is "only" 3.0Ghz, you can pretty much get whatever DDR2 800 memory you want. At the lowest muliplier (running 1:1), you can run that memory up to 3.2Ghz and still be within stock parameters. The CAS 4 vs. 5 isn't going to affect you too much. I think that some would suggest the 4-4-4 memory because you can loosen the timings to 5-5-5 and have more OCing headroom over DDR2 800 speed. This is important for getting the E6300 as fast as you can get it to go because even with the lowest divider you still need DDR2 1000 memory speeds to max out the CPU.
Thanks much. I think I'll go with the cheaper memory.

If you're looking to save money, I would get the E6300, the P5B-E, but I would get 2x1GB sticks Cas 4 sticks (like these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034 ). You should be able to get it to 3.0Ghz and save the extra cash. Or you could get the E6400 and then you wouldn't really have to worry about spending extra on the memory. It would probably even out :).
I also figure to go with the E, assuming no one gives me a good reason not to between now and tomorrow when I order. The saved money will go to upgrading from a 7900GS to a 7950GT, and buying a SATA combo drive. The 2 gigs of ram is out of the question for now, but hopefully I can order another gig in the coming months (especially if the price comes down). Thanks again.
 
Personally, if I was going to get only 1GB now and knew I was going to get 1GB in the future, I'd get a 1GB single stick and then get a matching one later rather than getting 2x512 now and another 2x512 later.

If you hit it at the right time, newegg has SATA DVD Burners from Lite-On for ~$35 or so. A lot better than just the combo drive since you get DVD burning support.

7950GT is a pretty good buy right now. I saw one at newegg for $235AR.

P5B-E is a good board. I think you'll be happy with it.
 
kirbyrj said:
Personally, if I was going to get only 1GB now and knew I was going to get 1GB in the future, I'd get a 1GB single stick and then get a matching one later rather than getting 2x512 now and another 2x512 later.
Interesting; to tell you the truth, I hadn't really considered it much, except that it was my understanding that having dual channel would be fairly important. What sort of drop-off are we talking in single channel?

If you hit it at the right time, newegg has SATA DVD Burners from Lite-On for ~$35 or so. A lot better than just the combo drive since you get DVD burning support.
LOL, lucky you said that; I just noticed that a combo drive does not mean DVD-R/CDR combo! I just about ordered the lite-on combo drive. $4 more gets me the DVD burner.

7950GT is a pretty good buy right now. I saw one at newegg for $235AR.
Yeah, that's the Foxconn that I plan on picking up.

P5B-E is a good board. I think you'll be happy with it.
Sweet. Thanks again, man.
 
The only thing you really lose in single channel is on memory bandwidth. You're talking a 1-3% difference in real life I'd think. Synthetic benchmarks are going to make it seem worse than it really is. The way I think about it is like this: it's easier to get 2 sticks working at the same speed than 4. Anyway you look at it, you're only as good as your weakest link, and with 4 sticks, you're increasing your chances of having 1 bad stick limiting your whole OC.

I did the same thing for my father. I put 1x1GB stick in his computer and if he needs more, I'll just get him another 1GB stick.

Good luck with the build. It sounds like you'll have a pretty good computer on a reasonable budget. I just build one almost exactly the same for my brother and he likes it a lot.
 
kirbyrj said:
The only thing you really lose in single channel is on memory bandwidth. You're talking a 1-3% difference in real life I'd think. Synthetic benchmarks are going to make it seem worse than it really is. The way I think about it is like this: it's easier to get 2 sticks working at the same speed than 4. Anyway you look at it, you're only as good as your weakest link, and with 4 sticks, you're increasing your chances of having 1 bad stick limiting your whole OC.

I did the same thing for my father. I put 1x1GB stick in his computer and if he needs more, I'll just get him another 1GB stick.
Hmmm. Good point. I hadn't considered the weak link factor; I was more concerned with having all 4 banks clogged, but that's a good point. I think you're probably right about real world performance; mainly, I'd like to be able to play CS again, and have a modern computer. My Athlon 1400+ is juuuuust a little slow these days, and I really can't compete in Source with that slug.

Good luck with the build. It sounds like you'll have a pretty good computer on a reasonable budget. I just build one almost exactly the same for my brother and he likes it a lot.
Thanks. I don't know how reasonable the budget is though; it ended up totaling $900! :p
 
Back
Top