Need Advice QUICK.... decision has to be made toay

Kraylon

Limp Gawd
Here is my situation.

I currently have a great overclocked E6600 running at 3.6GHz on AIR.

I have opportunity to sell it for $150.00

I also won $40.00 at a cash poker game. SO for $100.00 I can upgrade to the Q6600. I plan on overclocking it, but who knows if it will overclock to 3.6Ghz. Maybe the most i will get worst case senario is 3.0Ghz.

Now Before you guys give me advice here is part 2 of the situation.

My wife is prego and although i have been able to upgrade on a consistant basis (like every 4-6mnths), i probably won't have that luxury anymore once this baby arrives. The most i may be able to do is a video card upgrade once in a while, but i would say a total sytem upgrade s probably going to be every 1 - 1 1/2 yrs.

So given that, my thought is... even though the performance is simlar based on apps/games that our out right now, i may be better of jumping on the quad core bandwagon in the long run.

WHat do the experts think.... should i upgrade for $100.00 or save my money.

DARN IT... I typed to fast and forgot the D in today!

unless you have a real need for quad core, save your money. As you say, the new cpu's overclockability isn't guarenteed, so you may wind up with a decrease in performance over your current system. Moreso if the applications/games you use can't take advantage of the 2 extra cores.

plus if you buy now, its resetting the clock on when your wife next allows you to upgrade :)

Even though I love my Q6600 I would say save your money unless you have real needs for one. Your E6600 at 3.6GHz should be able to carry you easily through this 1-1.5 years cycle upgrade you have and by then the Q6600 will be cheaper and there will be possibly better quads.

A Q6600 G0 should do 3.6GHz with a good air cooler and a good board but it is not always a given.

Take $7 of the 40 and buy a six pack of good beer, take the remaining $33 and start an educational IRA for the baby (and score major points with wife). Life as you knew it is now over and computer frequent upgrades go with it. You know you can get by with the dual.

The good news is in about 10 years the child will need a computer of its own, or at least that should be your argument, then one for high school, then one for college. Of course the child gets your old machines ;)

Congrats. No one on their deathbed ever said " I wish I had spent more time with my computer."

I would say save your money. If you were building a completely new rig, the Q6600 would be a good choice. However if you're simply upgrading from an E6600 and you know that your budget will suffer slightly in the very new future, then it really isn't worth it.

You won't see a massive performance improvement from this upgrade, and there isn't enough out right now for your situation that really takes advantage of quad-core architecture. Not to mention the fact that the new CPUs will be out soon, and when they hit the market there will be another price drop for most of the current Intel hardware.

Keep the E6600 and wait until the new CPUs hit the market at the very least. Then if you really like those you can wait a while longer until they're affordable, or you can grab a Q6600 then at a cheaper price if you still want one.

Since everyone is saying save your money (which I agree with), I'll just say GO FOR IT! lol. No really though, if you can still upgrade every 1.5yrs, don't worry about upgrading now.

If you were single would you be asking this question? Didn't think so...Confirm with the wife and there's your answer.

Take $7 of the 40 and buy a six pack of good beer, take the remaining $33 and start an educational IRA for the baby (and score major points with wife). Life as you knew it is now over and computer frequent upgrades go with it. You know you can get by with the dual.

The good news is in about 10 years the child will need a computer of its own, or at least that should be your argument, then one for high school, then one for college. Of course the child gets your old machines ;)

Congrats. No one on their deathbed ever said " I wish I had spent more time with my computer."

Excellent post !!! :cool:

If you were single would you be asking this question? Didn't think so...Confirm with the wife and there's your answer.

Asking the wife is bad, she'll just want you to spend it on her, hehe.

I have to ninja upgrade my comp or tell the wife the old parts will be going to a relative/good cause.

Back