• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Advice on Sb Upgrade.

Zaraky

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Messages
117
I had made a new thread but i guess I had the wrong thread name since it didn't get any attention lol. So here is a new one which I hope will be better!


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing?
Alot of multi-task between painting( photoshop/painter), firefox( with sometime over 100tabs), gaming with a wide range of game, 3d modelling and many other thing... Computer will mostly run 24/7.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
In Canadian Dollar, from 1500-2500$ Tax and Ship included, can go a little higher if it's really needed.

3) Where do you live?
Quebec Canada

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, ect.
Everything... So Motherboard, CPU, 1GPU, RAM, Tower, Power Supply, dvd burner, Hard Drive, Case ( dust free and quiet fan).


5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I've seen people use old graphic card for "PhysX" but I doubt it would be such a big deal... so nothing in here but that if it really worth it..

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB)


6) Will you be overclocking?
Overclocking.... That's one scary world I know nothing about. If i had someone to help me with it, I'd probly give it a try on my old one, see the change and adapt it on my new one.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Dell 3007WFP-HC and a crappy Toshiba 32" in dual screen mode.


8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Depending on the price, This month asap, february at latest if there's a badluck.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support?
SLI and maybe raid.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Win xp 32. Will get a Win 7 64b later

More Info: Computer Shop near.
Staple, Microage, Bureau Giva and some other that I don't know much about lol.. Yes yes, they are shop near me.

My current build:
Motherboard: Asus P5W64 WS Pro
CPU: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, 2666 MHz (10 x 267)
Memory RAM: DIMM1: Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 X4(4gb)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB)
Disk Drive: WDC WD3200KS-00PFB0 ATA Device (298 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A ATA Device
Power Supply: Unknown.
Monitor: Dell 3007WFP-hc


Computer is still alive and kicking but as I throw more stuff to it, it start to slow down. Obviously, it's understandable lol.

Right now I'll just got with one GPU and Storage drive and add more if needed later. What I'm wondering about right now is... is it worth buying 2 20" to put in portrait mode next to my 30" and use it as eyefinity/surround setting? I've seen it done, not sure if it worth it to.

As well, if I'm doing like for this computer I'm on, the computer will be running 24/7 so I guess that wouldn't be a problem. A plus would be a dust protection case since I have 2 cat so their fur tend to get around alot.

Well That's it. if there's anything else to add I'll edit or reply to post.
 
Don't have time to get links for ya so you're gonna have to do some searching on N CIX.com:
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
Asus P8P87 Pro Intel P67 ATX Motherboard
Cheapest 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Powercolor HD 6950 2GB Video Card
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU

Case wise, I recommend these:
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-60FN ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$160 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case (US Shipping Factored in) (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$160 - Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium ATX Case (US Shipping Factored in) (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$160 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver ATX Case (US Shipping Factored in) (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey, been a while since your answer, thank for your time. Got some trouble a day after the post.. What luck haha.

Alright, I've been doing some benchmark research fro Photoshop Cs5 and I've seen the I7 is faster, is it worth ti to get a 2600k for that? While I paint with my wacom/cintiq I want it to be as smooth as possible and little to no lag as it can be.

As for the Motherboard, I guess you mean P8P67 Pro? Because I can't find anywhere a P8P87. So this would be the one . link...

As for Ram. It's shell deal in Canada as well same as the hotdeal here so I'm tempting to get 24GB of ram at that price. End up at ~170$ minus tax. link

For the Case, The Corsair Graphite seem to be calling for me haha. I hope the dust won't be too painful.

Hardrive, No SSD? Waiting for next gen or something? I'm thinking about Getting 2-3 samsung F4 spinpoint if they ever go in special in canada shop. And a SSD or 2 in raid once the new gen come out..

Hope I'll get a answer ASAP. Specially for the ram, since I got to buy ti now or the deal is over haha.
 
Yeah meant the P8P67 Pro mobo. If you have cash to spare, go for the i7-2600K.

GET THAT RAM TODAY!

Case wise, the front mesh of the Corsair 600T is actually removable which makes cleaning out the dust rather easy.

Wait for the next gen SSDs due out in a few months.
 
Ram Ordered for $174.01$ shipped. Well, now first parts are ordereds so rest need to follow up haha. Thank for the quick answer. Well... thinking about it afterward. I don't think I'll be able to test the memory once it get here so... won't know if it defective or not :|

Alright, now the biggest question I'm wondering about... Ati or Nvidia. In the past I've always used Nvidia , from TNT ultra ( which burnt out lol) to ym now Geforce 8800gtx which is still kicking butt on my dual screen setting and running most game at ultra setting still lol. One thing That interest me in ATI is eyefinity but the only problem is there's support for Portrait-Landscape-Portrait mode which turn me off. I would have gotten 2 20" to put to the side of my 30" and it would have fitted both my gaming and work need.

Anyway... Is there any good reason to step down from Nvidia and go with ATI? Never had a single problem with this 8800gtx so I'd be troubled if I had some with the ATI haha. Specially when I'm such a noob when it come to hardware. I was really thinking about getting 1 580 now and another later when money permit it. Haha Guess I'll have to discuss this with you.

As for the SSD I'll wait and get the next gen obviously. Would it worth it to buy 2 smaller size for raid setting or just getting 1? With the HD you posted, still worth to buy it or wait for the SSD and get the samsung for storage?

As for the case, nice... Hmm was wondering if the case going to be quiet and which fan ill need to get to be as quiet as possible. Or if I'm better to go with Water cooling, which I don't know anything about haha.


I need to find where to buy that Metro dust buster i see everywhere on the forum haha. Can't find anywhere that deliver to canada.
 
Last edited:
haha. Think I screwed badly alrdy on first order. The Ram is 2X4gb, and I bought 3 set which would give me 6X 4gb.. But now t I just saw that the P8P67 only has 4 slot for memory so now I'll have one extra set that I won't be to use.

Is there a way to modify an order in the processing stade before they ship it?
 
haha. Think I screwed badly alrdy on first order. The Ram is 2X4gb, and I bought 3 set which would give me 6X 4gb.. But now t I just saw that the P8P67 only has 4 slot for memory so now I'll have one extra set that I won't be to use.

Is there a way to modify an order in the processing stade before they ship it?

Call them or get them on chat ASAP.
 
Yeah it either I get on chat with them right now or I look for a different motherboard which 6 slot.

It would either be Get 4 slot with Asus P8P67 or get a Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3.. What do you think? Still get on with them and remove 2 bar?
 
Yeah it either I get on chat with them right now or I look for a different motherboard which 6 slot.

It would either be Get 4 slot with Asus P8P67 or get a Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3.. What do you think? Still get on with them and remove 2 bar?

Getting a six slot motherboard is not an option: It would require you to get a different and poor bang for the buck CPU in order to use any X58 motherboard with six RAM slots. The Core i5-2500K will not work with the X58 as they use different sockets.

So if you want best bang for the buck, your only option is to call in/chat with them ASAP and modify the order.
 
Haha... such a Noob I am,.. can't even find the chat for the newegg.ca. anyway I sent an email ..
 
Haha... such a Noob I am,.. can't even find the chat for the newegg.ca. anyway I sent an email ..

Yeah I forgot that Newegg.ca doesn't have chat. Only Newegg.com has chat.
 
Well, is there a way to "modify" your order as long as it is in processing stade? It give me the option to put it back into the cart but no idea if I'll lose my promo code and deal at same time.
 
Newegg.ca chat is only online week day and not weekend. So my email didn't get process before the order get charged and ect..

Anyway I only had 2 choice, RMA one set or cancel my order... seemed too much trouble to do rma and such so I just cancelled it. Quite troublesome indeed haha. Oh well, I'll be sure to check every little detail before ordering next time.

Now back to scratch haha.
 
Back
Top