• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice on picking proc

MuZI

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
344
Hey guys, I haven't built a computer since my old C2D E4300 build. I'm planning on building another one but I've been out of the loop with all this information floating around.

I'm probably going to be using my computer for internet/email/gaming (WOW and Call of Duty, nothing too intensive).

I don't do any video or picture editing.

Should I get another C2D or a i3/i5/i7? I have 2-3 weeks to decide so I'm not really in much of a rush.
 
What type of video card do you have? And other specs? If you have a decent gpu its probably more than enough for WOW. My system is more than an over kill for WOW. If you wanted to upgrade I would recommend an i7 860 since you can pick one up for around $200 at MicroCenter and get a mobo and ram for about another $200. An i7 9XX series cpu would also run about $200+ but your going to pay more for a mobo and memory around $300+ minimum.
 
yeah, is this a full build or just cpu upgrade? Full upgrade go, 860 or 920 / Just a cpu, Go with a e8400 "lga-775 socket" should work with your current board. and overclock to 3.4 or 3.6 "very modest"
 
It's a whole new build, I'm planning on giving the old one to my brother. I already have some of the parts like Case/Drives but I still need to pick out the CPU/RAM/Mobo combo.

The $200 at MicroCenter is a sweet deal but unfortunately I don't have a MicroCenter in a 100 mile radius.

I'd like to keep the CPU ~$100 +/- $25 shipped

So would be be a wise choice to get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115222

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

Basically i3 vs. C2D

I can always upgrade the proc in the future if I go the i3 route?
 
Unless this is for a HTPC, a Core i3 setup is a waste of money as you can easily get a faster AMD Phenom II quad core CPU for $20 more or even the same price depending on the combo deal. A new C2D based setup is also a waste of money due to the EOL'd socket and use of DDR2 RAM.

If you really want to stick with Intel despite AMD's better price to performance ratio, go with the Core i3.

Example of what I mean by AMD being the better deal:
$238 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU + GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 Motherboard combo
 
Back
Top