Need advice on new build, or hold off.

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Hi guys I dont really need a new build but I'm itching to go amd. So I currently have 6850k @ 4200mhz all cores, just sold both 1080tis and went with 1 2080ti, also just got a new 38in lg ultrawide. I was looking at going with a 3900x, 32gigs of ram, 2 sabrent rocket 2TB m.2 drives, MSI Meg x570. If I do this build when the next AMD cpu comes out at the end of the year I can just drop it in correct? I'm also just gaming on this this system nothing else.

Any future AM4 CPUs will be plug and play except boards with the A320 chipset.

I wouldn't assume a 350 or 370 would continue to support, they struggled with zen 2 support due to bios size limitations and they are getting less support since 4x0 and 570 series are out as well. Otherwise the next chip will likely be the last AM4 and should work fine (albeit less features) on most existing boards.

I would expect that all future AM4 CPUs will be compatible to an X570 board. Although there are 1 or possibly 2 more releases left before AMD switches to DDR5 / PCIe5 which I expect will break compatibility and there will be a new AM5 socket

If you've waited this long may as well wait a few more months. Your current CPU is just fine and not really holding you back in games. I say wait and see at least for the Intel launch and see if AMD counters by lowering prices even further.

I think your current setup is plenty good enough to hold out for DDR5

i'd wit and see what ddr5 systems bring to the table unless you really want those extra few fps in games

Hi guys I dont really need a new build but I'm itching to go amd. So I currently have 6850k @ 4200mhz all cores, just sold both 1080tis and went with 1 2080ti, also just got a new 38in lg ultrawide. I was looking at going with a 3900x, 32gigs of ram, 2 sabrent rocket 2TB m.2 drives, MSI Meg x570. If I do this build when the next AMD cpu comes out at the end of the year I can just drop it in correct? I'm also just gaming on this this system nothing else.

Go for it now. Get 2x Firecuda 2GB Nvme with 4000-5500mb speeds and don't look back. You can upgrade to the 4000 series later to boot.
Don't ever wait on what might be. DDR5 is 2 to 3 years away from being in the same affordable class as DDR4 is now. All new memory has been expensive.
This is [H]ardocp, not softOcp n' wait to see. You have the money to burn now, do it. What you waiting for, Covid19? Enjoy now.
I have that Sabrent Rocket Nvme drive. It is great speed wise, but I am concerned about longevity of it. If the FireCuda drive was around then, I would have bought that instead.

Personally I have noticed Microcenter running out of CPU stock and of course Newegg inflating prices do to B&M not having stock. Going to get my little Ryzen 3600 with motherboard on Friday. When money allows I will get the 3900x or wait till 4900x. Right now my Z170 doesn't have another M2 slot to support my other Nvme drive, and its getting long in the tooth. My 6700k has been a good chip, but it is time to upgrade the platform as a whole. Can't wait, been since the Phenom days since I had an AMD anything.

Go for it now. Get 2x Firecuda 2GB Nvme with 4000-5500mb speeds and don't look back. You can upgrade to the 4000 series later to boot.
Don't ever wait on what might be. DDR5 is 2 to 3 years away from being in the same affordable class as DDR4 is now. All new memory has been expensive.
This is [H]ardocp, not softOcp n' wait to see. You have the money to burn now, do it. What you waiting for, Covid19? Enjoy now.
I have that Sabrent Rocket Nvme drive. It is great speed wise, but I am concerned about longevity of it. If the FireCuda drive was around then, I would have bought that instead.

I will get the 3900x or wait till 4900x.

Whoa there... Why wait for the 4900x? This is [H]ardocp, not softOcp n' wait to see. What you waiting for, Covid19? Enjoy now.

Whoa there... Why wait for the 4900x? This is [H]ardocp, not softOcp n' wait to see. What you waiting for, Covid19? Enjoy now.
I am. Missed the whole MONEY later thing smartass? He said said money isn't an issue fruitcake. I didn't. Missed that trying to be a first post smartass huh?
Read context next time. Oh and before another witty response.....LAST WORD!

I am. Missed the whole MONEY later thing smartass? He said said money isn't an issue fruitcake. I didn't. Missed that trying to be a first post smartass huh?
Read context next time. Oh and before another witty response.....LAST WORD!

Nope. Got all of it. You said wait for 4900x You’re not as Hard as you think.

Any future AM4 CPUs will be plug and play except boards with the A320 chipset.

Just a quick reminder make sure you flash the BIOS to a supporting version first. Lots of people had issues with Zen2 or Zen+ booting on B350/X370 boards without updated BIOS and that's why AMD was doing the bootkit thing where they send a CPU. Some boards can flash BIOS without a CPU though.

Obviously it's your money but I would do no higher than a 3700X if planning to immediately upgrade to Zen 3 when it comes out. 3900X or 3950X should probably hold up until socket AM5 platform starts coming out.

I'd go a step further and say a 3900x/3950x will definitely hold up until AM5 and beyond for most people

unless you're really struggling gaming, I'd wait and put that stimulus money towards a x670 and a monster of a chip. IPC gains are supposed to be nice compared to current gen stuff and who know what new/better features x670 has over x570

Back