• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice on fans

aznofazns

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
273
Now that summer's upon us and temps are starting to soar in Texas, I'm looking into advanced air cooling on a budget. Does anyone know the specs (CFM, bearing, decibels) of the 3 stock 120mm fans that come with Rocketfish cases? I'm thinking about replacing them with Scythe Slipstreams but I want to make sure that they will be enough of an upgrade. I'm not sure if I should go for the 24dBA/69CFM model or the 33dBA/88CFM model, or just get entirely different fans. I don't plan on buying a fan controller any time soon (I'm just going to the plug the fans directly into my PSU) so I don't want the fans to be too loud at max. Also, ideally I'd want fans with red lights for my upcoming side window mod but I don't want to skimp on performance.
 
whats your budget? i recommend getting a fan controller. i just got a rheobus extreme for $15 used. it can handle more fans than ill ever be able to throw at it. get something like that, and you can buy the highest speed fans you want,and just turn them down the rest of the year to silent. normally high speed fans cost the same as low and medium speed of the same model. they just throw in an extra resistor or whatever.

i think these look pretty good. 2000rpm and 90cfm is great. they will be much louder than 19dB at 2000rpm, around 35 id say. but you could def undervolt them to silent with a controller or using your motherboard fan controllers.
 
Thanks for the reply. Are Coolermaster fans generally worse than Scythe and Yate Loons? I'm tending to lean towards Scythes right now. Also, that site has poor ratings.

Are there any good deals on cheap, nice looking fan controllers that anyone knows of?

My total budget needs to stay within $50 for sure, which includes 2-3 fans and possibly a fan controller.
 
yeah not saying anything about the site, just the fans.

the thing about fans is, if theyre spinning fast enough to get good cfm, theyre gonna be loud. there are no exceptions. the things to look for are bearing type (someone else can tell you more about this or you can research it, there are a few threads about it i think), rpm, and cfm. they will often give you the highest cfm rating at full speed, and the lowest noise rating when undervolted. or they will just flat out lie. i think scythes and yates are good fans. cooler master and antec make some decent led fans. you really just have to look around. anything over 75 is a very high flow fan. anything under about 50 and youll be disappointed. as far as brand goes, anything that you recognize should generally be ok. hopefully a couple people will point out what they really hate, but in general its not that big a difference between them.

these are great, no leds though. and a good site to buy from.

this guys rheobus should be fine for controlling the fans you need.
 
You are wise to want to know where you are before start to go someplace different.

Can you not pull one out and see what is on the label ?
 
You are wise to want to know where you are before start to go someplace different.

Can you not pull one out and see what is on the label ?

TOO MUCH EFFORT!

nah... I'll look in a few minutes. :p

ekuest, those Yates look amazing for the price. The shipping is only a few dollars too. How are they so cheap?
 
Back
Top