Need advice on buying new tablet

I'm about to come into $600 in Best Buy gift cards from my work.

I've never owned a tablet before, but I think I'd like to get one so I can watch Netflix in bed. I guess that a larger screen and a good resolution would be the most important to that use.

Any suggestions on a good tablet for this? Either something currently sold or coming out soon. I'm not in a rush for this, I just want to use the gift cards.

I like my Dell Venue 11 Pro, runs Windows 10 and Netflix just fine. Screen is IPS and has good color and brightness. plus the non security models can be upgraded storage wise.

Anything can handle Netflix these days. You might want to consider other uses for your tablet. I'd give consideration primarily as to how you think you'd want to use the device, consumption versus productivity.

If you want it just for Netflix and bedroom viewing, etc... Have you considered an inexpensive 6" Smartphone? You don't have to use it as a phone. The Alcatel One Touch Idol would be a good choice @ $199.

Another way to go, again if this is for content consumption, is an Amazon Kindle. One of the higher end one's. They are made very much for this specific purpose. Well integrated into Prime but still works fine with Netflix and tends to be a bit cheaper than competitors.

First, wait for a sale at Bestbuy since they have them often if you can. Wait for the Samsung Tab S3 in either 9.7 or 8 inch, or if you get a deal, you could consider the Tab S2 instead sooner.

The Amazon Kindles do the basics ok and are great for kids, but you aren't going to get the app support that a newer Samsung has. There isn't a lot of reason to limit yourself to only netflix when you may end up using it as a reader as well.

You'll likely keep it for a long time if you are like most people, so consider that.

iPad (probably an Air 2, unless you really want what the Pro has to offer). No fuss, thin and light, very responsive and bound to get timely OS updates.

The nvidia Shield is an amazing tablet for its price if you can get one. Looks like it's being scalped. That said, it's only $200, not $600. The portability of an 8" is not to be discounted. I tend to bring it everywhere. With its official cover it is very light and lively in the hand

Back